Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: SOW CHOY training by Chuck Lidell

Quote Originally Posted by blj_swmo View Post
    All of the above said when I played my "Chinese Kenpo" KF forms for my Hung Gar and CLF friends they fell on the floor laughing their asses off As they kindly showed me Kenpo seems to have over-looked and left out many IMPORTANT nuances out of their KF forms...
    You make a very important point there, which is relevant to people who have floated from style to style, including profound TCMA methodologies while having picked out what "worked for them", missing out on fundamental aspects that they would have come to appreciate, had they spent some quality years studying those rich arts. And of course, such knowledge would in the future have prevented them from making clueless conclusions and assumptions on traditional kung fu methodologies.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    actually kenpo is a more modern art. Hung gar and CLF are older. I can see where you are coming from though. Some of the forms in kenpo are taken from older styles and interpretted differently. I'm pretty sure lau gar is one of them taken from hung gar. I believe the tiger crane set also. Not sure though. Pai Lum has a lot of kenpo relations and has some of the forms so I can understand what your coming from.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    in reality, what we're talking about here is ONE SINGLE TCMA technique. its only one. not the whole system.
    I hear you. Its just a technique. One single technique. Not too common to us southern short armed boxers, but you know the go, horses for courses.

Isn't that at the long range end of the CLF techniques? Looks more Lama or Pak Hok to me.

I call shenanigans on Seven*, that's not your "Ali' esque overhand right, that's got eastern Ju Ju on it.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Blog Entries
    it is one of our long range techniques. but it can be used up close depending on how you use it. it can be used against another sow choy, or to strike a limb, neck, ribs like a close line. still, the key thing IMO is knowing WHEN to use it. i'd never use it as an initial strike while on the offensive. there are also three different striking surfaces as well.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

One "trick" in Thai Boxing is to strike with the bony part of the wrist because if it lands it's easier to secure a KO blow with it. Like a sau choy basically.
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori