Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Punching Technique and how it compares to Boxing

Kung Fu Punching Technique and how it compares to Boxing

Often times I hear martial artists talk about the punching power of boxing. Having boxed myself for about two years and having a few amateur fights, I can attest to boxing improving my punching technique and power. But my belief is that boxing simply helped the technique I had learned in Kung Fu and refined it. In many Kung Fu styles you have a variety of techniques that are practiced from kicks, exotic animal strikes, elbows, knees, sticky hands, ect. ect.

My belief is that where boxing benefits one the most is the simple fact that punching is all that is practiced, so you are obviously going to get better at it. Training methods of course come in to play, but when you focus your entire effort on a small area of techniques, one will obviously get better.

Thoughts on this please.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I think one of the things that boxing has taught me, that has carried over to my Kung-Fu is shock power-or is it vice-versa? When I used to try to power through the bag, I would damage my wrists, but when I use shock or pulse power, when I "popped" the bag, after awhile, my power doubled.
    As far as the reverse punch club is concerned, I do reverse punches with the same shock power, so for me, yeah-I'm a member.
    My wrists are thin. So, hooks and uppercuts were never my strongest punches. My wrist can buckle at times from hitting with poor alignment-which in the heat of a bout, can happen often. I find that I can hit alot harder with sow choy-either flat fist, or ox-horn. Since there is no way my wrist will buckle, I can let loose without hesitation. Sure it's a wider punch, so it has to be set up. Also, the fact that it is thrown so relaxed, allows the hand to be alive, and can adapt when intercepted.
    Kung-Fu also has other strikes that boxing does not have, besides gwa and cup, there is gow-choy-whcih is sort of like a downward hammerfist, but with the elbow dropped-it can hit with hammerfist and/or forearm, and the whole body drops when delivering this strike,with shock power. It hits very hard, and is a deceptively short strike which can come from a tight guard.
    Another thing about short power is it is applied to everything-short elbow, short shoulder, short bicep, etc.
    I am not of the school that Kung-Fu is better than boxing. I have always advocated both, so you will see my guys training jab,cross, gwa, cup, etc.
    I also teach the boxer's guard in the beginning stages in order to ingrain the cover hand not dropping. The bai-jongs can then be changed, with the front hand being closer, further, higher, lower, and the rear hand "floating" from front to side.
    It maintains the elbow position, and the covering is basic and economic, and teaches students not to chase hands.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    comparably I think you hit the nail on the head when you said Boxing focuses on punches exclusively, (dependent upon the era "dirty boxing" taken into account.") I've always been of the conclusion that you can train many things but can only master a few. Boxing is a demension of fighting, a 1 sided one, but one indeed. It focuses on standup striking and caters to that only. that being said, it is not a hard pill to swallow stating that if you want to get your striking better on your punches you should probably go take some boxing lessons, where it is stress and tested.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I wanted to add that boxing also has some of the best footwork and body movement and training techniques for it. It really lays some excellent groundwork.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I think one of the things that boxing has taught me, that has carried over to my Kung-Fu is shock power-or is it vice-versa? When I used to try to power through the bag, I would damage my wrists, but when I use shock or pulse power, when I "popped" the bag, after awhile, my power doubled.
    As far as the reverse punch club is concerned, I do reverse punches with the same shock power, so for me, yeah-I'm a member.
    My wrists are thin. So, hooks and uppercuts were never my strongest punches. My wrist can buckle at times from hitting with poor alignment-which in the heat of a bout, can happen often. I find that I can hit alot harder with sow choy-either flat fist, or ox-horn. Since there is no way my wrist will buckle, I can let loose without hesitation. Sure it's a wider punch, so it has to be set up. Also, the fact that it is thrown so relaxed, allows the hand to be alive, and can adapt when intercepted.
    Kung-Fu also has other strikes that boxing does not have, besides gwa and cup, there is gow-choy-whcih is sort of like a downward hammerfist, but with the elbow dropped-it can hit with hammerfist and/or forearm, and the whole body drops when delivering this strike,with shock power. It hits very hard, and is a deceptively short strike which can come from a tight guard.
    Another thing about short power is it is applied to everything-short elbow, short shoulder, short bicep, etc.
    I am not of the school that Kung-Fu is better than boxing. I have always advocated both, so you will see my guys training jab,cross, gwa, cup, etc.
    I also teach the boxer's guard in the beginning stages in order to ingrain the cover hand not dropping. The bai-jongs can then be changed, with the front hand being closer, further, higher, lower, and the rear hand "floating" from front to side.
    It maintains the elbow position, and the covering is basic and economic, and teaches students not to chase hands.
    Christ, Rik, if u keep on making so much sense this way, the whole forum's going to sut down...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    Christ, Rik, if u keep on making so much sense this way, the whole forum's going to sut down...
    now, all I need to do is mix in some kool-aid infected drivel, and I'll have a winning combination! Watch my smoke!
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I wanted to add that boxing also has some of the best footwork and body movement and training techniques for it. It really lays some excellent groundwork.
    I couldn't agree more. Footwork is something that is so essential, yet often times overlooked in training. One of the critisisms of TMA which I agree with is the stagnant practice of techniques, be it in line drills (from horse stance or another stagnant stance) or walking drills such as is found in Karate. Not saying these areas of training do not have some usefullness, but working on circling, clock stepping, and doing bag work, mitt work, and sparring will work the necessary footwork one needs to be efficient.

My original sifu would always have us working in circles, as well as back and forth and side to side, which I think is important to developing good footwork. Boxing does this as well. The hardest transition I had when I started boxing was using a more narrow stance, as opposed to a wider stance used for kicking. Now I can switch back and forth between the two effectively.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Kung fu hands are based on fighting of bridges, while boxing hands are based on hitting the other guy without "briding".
    Elimenate the "bridge" from kung fu and you have boxing.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

many Kung-Fu styles do not concern themselves with bridging, in fact Hop-Ga is considered to be an "anti-bridging" system. Even the so-called bridging systems such as Hung-Ga and Wing Chun and SPM often strike and continue to strike without bridging.
    Look, if I'm landing strikes on you, I need not be concerned with bridging your arms, I'm doing what I set out to do-destroy my opponent any way possible. Besides, I'm bridging your head!
    (there are many interpetations of bridging. Not all concern touch contact)
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

many Kung-Fu styles do not concern themselves with bridging, in fact Hop-Ga is considered to be an "anti-bridging" system. Even the so-called bridging systems such as Hung-Ga and Wing Chun and SPM often strike and continue to strike without bridging.
    Look, if I'm landing strikes on you, I need not be concerned with bridging your arms, I'm doing what I set out to do-destroy my opponent any way possible. Besides, I'm bridging your head!
    (there are many interpetations of bridging. Not all concern touch contact)
    True, BUT they tend to base their strikes on dealing with bridges or attempts to bridge.
    Now, as we know, blocking and striking is the "low end" of MA skill, the ideal is the strike with no block, the "jeet" or simply, hit the guy before his hit lands on you-
    "our strike leaves after our opponents but arrives first".
    Boxing is designed just for that.
    Evasive footwork is the "first line" of defense and in mnay ways, boxing and kenjutsu/sword fighting have much in common.

The typical kung fu punch,if there is such a thing, are similar to the typical karate punches, they deal from the beginner perspective of "block/strike", but they SHOULD "evolve" to the more "advanced" - no-block just hit, method.

The problems with bridging also fall into what guard the opponent is using. When bridging the arms, it is much harder when an opponent is in a traditional boxing guard with hands high at the temple, but much easier when the person has their hands extended outward.

Not saying bridging is useless, but I would much rather set up combinations and turn the guys face into a meat puddle. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    The problems with bridging also fall into what guard the opponent is using. When bridging the arms, it is much harder when an opponent is in a traditional boxing guard with hands high at the temple, but much easier when the person has their hands extended outward.

Not saying bridging is useless, but I would much rather set up combinations and turn the guys face into a meat puddle. Just saying.
    actually, it is even easier to bridge when a fighter is using a peek-a-boo guard, or a close cover by Jamming right into his guard and slamming his own fists into him. This is using the concept of bik-pressing/crowding.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

actually, it is even easier to bridge when a fighter is using a peek-a-boo guard, or a close cover by Jamming right into his guard and slamming his own fists into him. This is using the concept of bik-pressing/crowding.
    I see what you are saying. I guess this is not the bridging I was thinking of from my sense of it but what you say makes sense and I have seen that done, particulary on guys who use the peek-a-boo, which is why I never cared for it.

north kung fu has no concept of bridge

You guys are missing the point I think.
    What is the first thing(s) boxer is taught?
    Fighting stance with Guard
    Puching
    Evasive foot work
    Parries
    Blocks

What are the first things a kung fu guy is taught?
    Static stances
    Strikes and blocks off static stances