Thread: Working through a herniated disc

Working through a herniated disc

Wondering if anyone has had some experience working through or treating a herniated disc? I managed to injur my back at some point and kept working with the pain for the last couple of months...the condition has progressed. I've been dealing with bad sciatica for the last couple of months and had to take a break from my training the last two weeks. Walking, running, yoga, and regular boxing/kickboxing training, is out for now...able to do some seated bicycle seated machine workouts at the gym.

I am currently starting some Physical Therapy and Accupunture treatments...

If you have had this condition, how long did you have to rehab it? Did you try any additional treatments?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I had double herniated disks. The only thing I did was physical therapy which included ice/heat, radio wave stim, massage, lots of stretching......then gradually got into hand bike movements core strengthen exercises, cycling. If I remember correctly it took about 3-4 months to recoup.

Thanks Ronin22 can I ask what you used for pain?
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Had them on numerous occasions. Last time I started doing Stuart McGill's exercises every day, twice a day.

Look him up; he's one of the world's leading experts on lower back problems (as in scientific experts, not as in vocational qualifications in general fitness training or some bollocks like that) based in the Uni of Ontario IIRC.

He has four exercises that are really simple and really good. You'll have seen them before in different versions. His free PRF also tells you what to avoid.

You can look it up on my blog on here if you want a direct link, as the last couple of times I looked it up on Google there was all kinds of confusing stuff.

Then I started maximal weightlifting for strength.

Now I have no problems.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    I had double herniated disks. The only thing I did was physical therapy which included ice/heat, radio wave stim, massage, lots of stretching......then gradually got into hand bike movements core strengthen exercises, cycling. If I remember correctly it took about 3-4 months to recoup.
    Stretching covers a lot of ground.

With both stretching and massage there is stuff that will work for your herniated discs and stuff that will wreck it more. Go to a qualified sports therapist, not some berk at your gym.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Inversion tables are great.
    Everybody has a plan, Til they get hit.

Unless you are a PRO and working through an injury, any injury, is a MUST, DO NOT DO IT.
    Seek professional help, follow their advice, fix the problem THEN resume working out.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch View Post
    Stretching covers a lot of ground.

With both stretching and massage there is stuff that will work for your herniated discs and stuff that will wreck it more. Go to a qualified sports therapist, not some berk at your gym.

Why did you assume I went to some berk at my gym? No, I went to a accomplished and qualified physical therapist who has treated many of our local sports teams and I guess what they did for me worked because I haven't had a problem in the 5 years since.

Hebrew

I just used Advil for pain .....it was something like 4 pills every 6 hours or 3 every four hours....I forget but always taken with food.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Why did you assume I went to some berk at my gym?
    I didn't.

Happy New Year!