Thread: Breakdown of Hung Gar Kung Fu Quest Episode

Breakdown of Hung Gar Kung Fu Quest Episode

Part1 : Intro/Lau Kar Yung Demo/learning with present of dragon lion soc sifu kwong who have been practising for 30+ years who seems like a fighter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCvGq_X4aiQ

Part 2: Oscar Lam (Lam Cho's Grandson)/Pang Chi Ming (Chow Wing Tak's student, cultural researcher)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dxQtFBp0qw

part 3: hung kuen background/Lau Ka Yung/last day of Chow Wing Tak's Roof Top Kwoon
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v5Fy9xalJg

part 4: cont.../Sifu Kwong talking about fighting..etc/Wong Ping Pui sifu/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuI3sRvt5eA

part 5: kwoon of wong ping pui's student sifu girona in spain./ sifu wong ping pui and son./Lau Kar Yung's school in Germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFBgCF8x7IE

Part 6 (end): cont../from 2.44 they speak English, a hung gar school in Germany with 200+ students, Sifu Garski, student of Lam chun Fai, talking about his exp with Lam Cho. From 6:22 Sparing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HToqpLCGtRE

I liked the part where Kwong Sifu was talking about fighting. You'd think a relatively rotund older guy like that wouldn't be able to move, but he was as fast (if not faster) than Phillip. He was like a world-wind with his flowery kung fu, and as fat and fleshy as his hands were I'm sure he's trained his hands, so getting hit by him's probably like getting hit with a sock full of quarters. Those clips almost made me want to start studying Cantonese again...
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by blackjesus View Post
    part 5: kwoon of wong ping pui's student sifu girona in spain./ sifu wong ping pui and son./Lau Kar Yung's school in Germany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFBgCF8x7IE
    This is Sifu Michael Punschkes school in Munich.
    He is a student of LKY, but is foremost a Choy Lay Fut teacher,
    student of Lee Koon Hung and now Doc Fai Wong.
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::
    Choy Lay Fut :: 四 向 門 :: Chen Taiji Quan :: Jow Gar
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::

Ah, good old school Hung kuen

part 4 was my favorite, but I like how most of them were doing pad, and bag work, good stuff.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

When I went back to Hung Kuen after a few years off, I was concerned that my HK had become too "boxing like", it was pleased to find out that this was NOT a bad thing, my HK Sifu said that "Mike Tyson would have made a great HK guy and his way of fighting is very much HK".
    Seeing those clips, in particular part 4 showed me that it isn't just my Sifu that thinks that way.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    When I went back to Hung Kuen after a few years off, I was concerned that my HK had become too "boxing like", it was pleased to find out that this was NOT a bad thing, my HK Sifu said that "Mike Tyson would have made a great HK guy and his way of fighting is very much HK".
    Seeing those clips, in particular part 4 showed me that it isn't just my Sifu that thinks that way.
    I always thought that Larry Holmes had a Hung Kuen flavour to his boxing.
    Methodical, deep root, relentless and hard hitting.

Tyson definitely had the concept of "smashing through" down though. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I always thought that Larry Holmes had a Hung Kuen flavour to his boxing.
    Methodical, deep root, relentless and hard hitting.

Tyson definitely had the concept of "smashing through" down though. lol
    Because of my short height and short arms, I have always been an inside fighter, it was very natural to fight like Tyson or Zambidis, that full force striking, minimal strike combos (but combos nevertheless), triangular foot work, etc.
    Its' funny, I think I got HK better AFTER boxing and fighting full contact.

Paul,

Hung Kuen is a pretty advanced system and you have to be pretty adept to really use it. So it makes sense you would get better after having real experience applying other systems. The forms are pretty and complicated, but they have good meaning to them.

Just my 2 cents.

I always thought hung gar was such an interesting style

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Because of my short height and short arms, I have always been an inside fighter, it was very natural to fight like Tyson or Zambidis, that full force striking, minimal strike combos (but combos nevertheless), triangular foot work, etc.
    Its' funny, I think I got HK better AFTER boxing and fighting full contact.
    I think that happens. Judo increased my knowledge of forms applications.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Ah, good old school Hung kuen

part 4 was my favorite, but I like how most of them were doing pad, and bag work, good stuff.
    We train like this in Melbourne too.
    Worth the 1 hour (2 hour return) train trip.

This martial art TV documentary series is just top. It reveals what good unarmed free fight is, and how each of these major styles applies their techniques. The reasons behind the techniques are also told. So there is no mystery and nosense in these styles at all. It has inspired me of what good free fight should be. For example, the documentary series has answered the question why often simple and basic moves are used in fight.

KC
    Hong Kong

Nice! Thanks for sharing blackjesus, I sent this link to the guys at OzMAForums.. hope you don't mind
    Supporter: The Australasian Martial Arts & Self Defence Forums - http://www.OzMAForums.com