Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese stone locs

Chinese stone locs

I know most people use the stone locs like in these vids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4428y...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tyG...eature=related

I'm curious if any train using stone locs to condition the arms like this video?

These are 10lbs concrete locs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26l-HixP3bY
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    you could get most of those workouts with kettlebells.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    you could get most of those workouts with kettlebells.

I haven't seen kettle bells that extend out enough to strike the forearms like the locs in the last video, have you?

Those locks are made to specifically strike the forearms.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

i said "most" of the work out.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.

Blog Entries
    The difference between the stone lock and the Kelly bell is the stone lock training intend to integrate CMA skill, speed, and strength development all in one. In that SC stone lock clip (with light weight),

the person tried to train "hip throw" or "shoulder throw" by using the tool. This kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone approach has not yet been integrated into the Kelly bell training as far as I know. Many people try to use extream heavy weight Kelly bell. It's impossible to train MA skill that way. Extream heavy weight and lighting speed just don't go together no matter in the ancient time or in the modern time.

Unless you train outdoor on dirt ground, if you miss any catching in your stone lock throwing, you will either smash your floor or the concrete ground. The bag throwing will be much safer IMO.

This is a good example that CMA guys use stone lock to train and MMA guys use Kelly bell to train. Difference? Not that much at all.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-06-2010 at 10:28 AM.

Hi jmd161,

The exercise is interesting. The question is whether you are deriving the most benefit from the time expended with the exercise. It appears that you want to train a punch to be able to blow through a block and reach its target. You can get a better return on time expended by doing full out forearm strikes on a punching bag and by hitting a punching bag. That kind of penetrating ability involves the entire body. Working on a punching bag will help that considerably.

Some styles of CMA make use of a small cylindrical sandbag to strike the body with to harden particular areas. This is also quite good for the forearms.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Hi jmd161,

The exercise is interesting. The question is whether you are deriving the most benefit from the time expended with the exercise. It appears that you want to train a punch to be able to blow through a block and reach its target. You can get a better return on time expended by doing full out forearm strikes on a punching bag and by hitting a punching bag. That kind of penetrating ability involves the entire body. Working on a punching bag will help that considerably.

Some styles of CMA make use of a small cylindrical sandbag to strike the body with to harden particular areas. This is also quite good for the forearms.

mickey
    mickey,

That is indeed one idea of the training for a punch/block. It is also to condition the arms muscle/bone for grinder dummy training. We use the punching bag and sandbag as well. It's a method we use to train breaking and entering techniques as well. There is also footwork involved but, he's just getting the coordination down of swinging two at once which, is much more difficult than it looks.

This is same 15 yr old with a single loc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_py1F8TCo0

One of our training goals is to eliminate wasted movements so this helps us train punching through a strike... we deflect the strike (basically blocking it) while launching our own attack through it... I'm not sure if you understand my meaning?

I have trouble putting my thoughts into words sometimes, sorry.
    Last edited by jmd161; 07-06-2010 at 12:22 PM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The difference between the stone lock and the Kelly bell is the stone lock training intend to integrate CMA skill, speed, and strength development all in one. In that SC stone lock clip (with light weight),

the person tried to train "hip throw" or "shoulder throw" by using the tool. This kind of killing 2 birds with 1 stone approach has not yet been integrated into the Kelly bell training as far as I know. Many people try to use extream heavy weight Kelly bell. It's impossible to train MA skill that way. Extream heavy weight and lighting speed just don't go together no matter in the ancient time or in the modern time.

Unless you train outdoor on dirt ground, if you miss any catching in your stone lock throwing, you will either smash your floor or the concrete ground. The bag throwing will be much safer IMO.

This is a good example that CMA guys use stone lock to train and MMA guys use Kelly bell to train. Difference? Not that much at all.
    thyey have light weight kettle bells. the goal with the kettle bell is to integrate total body movement and core strength - you are getting stronger and improving martial skill at the same time, also killing two birds with one stone. MMA guys don'[t concern themselves with conditioning striking surfaces, other than hitting heavy bags. Extreme heavy weight actually does go hand in hand with lightning speed. Some of the most explosive guys on the planet are power lifters. Why? maximal weight training trains the neuro muscular system. the harder your muscles can contract, the more power they can produce. this is not a size thing. now yes, size and speed tend not to go hand in hand, but size training is completely different.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    thyey have light weight kettle bells. the goal with the kettle bell is to integrate total body movement and core strength - you are getting stronger and improving martial skill at the same time, also killing two birds with one stone. MMA guys don'[t concern themselves with conditioning striking surfaces, other than hitting heavy bags. Extreme heavy weight actually does go hand in hand with lightning speed. Some of the most explosive guys on the planet are power lifters. Why? maximal weight training trains the neuro muscular system. the harder your muscles can contract, the more power they can produce. this is not a size thing. now yes, size and speed tend not to go hand in hand, but size training is completely different.
    Quoted for the truth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Hi jmd161,

mickey
    Indeed or "arm boxing" three start drills either with a partner or against a pole.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

watch out speaking the truth like that....people around here tend to "flip" out if they here such blasphemy.

*crouches into tiger stance to duck under flipping out forum posters*

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Indeed or "arm boxing" three start drills either with a partner or against a pole.
    Yeah, we do this drill as well....

I have a 8ft post in my back yard also.

Looking to get myself a tree trunk and sand it down like we have in the school.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Originally Posted by SevenStar

Yeah, we do this drill as well....

I have a 8ft post in my back yard also.

Looking to get myself a tree trunk and sand it down like we have in the school
    when i was in hung gar we called it the tikky toc (clock ref.) drill. At least I think that is what you are describing for arm conditioning.