Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese stone locs

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    1. you don't know what he is looking to learn from seagal or why

2. the fact that he is training with him has no bearing on my statement. HE chose to train with someone who does not fight - that was his decision, and he knows why he made it.
    No, I don't know why he's training with Seagal But, that fact that Silva see's a need to train with Seagal being a fighter of his caliber... is enough to at least look into it!

3. If he did learn some snazzy aikido technique and beat a guy with it, no, aikido wouldn't be credited. Why should it? the first "m" in mma stands for "mixed" innovation is bound to happen, and has been since its inception. people used to say head kicks didn't work until cro cop started murdering people with them. louisseau KO'ed a guy with a jump spinning back kick.

I think what I dislike about tma the most is that you guys always want credit for something, as if it matters. look at the stink you guys made here about cung le. "he knows kung fu", "he is a cma", "he wrestled, but that throw was from san shou" etc. even though it is no secret that he has wrestled since he was a young child - and was one of the best in the state at the time - and that he also has training in TKD, you guys still wished to make him a pure cma and downplayed his other experience. In the end, it doesn't matter where it came from. You don't see the muay thai guys running around saying "yeah, that's OUR clinch knee!"
    It's funny you use Cro Cop as an example... When TMA people were saying head kicks would work people who think like you where saying the samething " it would've been incorporated by now" Well, It is a part of the MMA game now. I don't give a rat's a$$ about giving credit to TMA or CMA!! I'm talking about you guys shooting us down on techniques like the head kick when we bring it up... Then later it's all over MMA!

4. what the heck does this have to do with a stone lock? Are you saying that they may use the forearm conditioning to end up KOing a guy with a forearm strike? even still, there would be no need for separate training, just like there is no need currently. they can smash there forearms against the the heavy bag while doing bag work, same as the rest of the striking surface conditioning.
    I said it's training I think would help in MMA... That's all nothing more nothing less.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    people know silva is bored with mma maybe he is looking to move into films...he sure as sh*t is not learning how to fight from segal..he already knows how to do that

silva is not training under him, he was not his student, segal had nothing to do with him becoming the fighter he is that was down to BTT no one else. People see i littlee clip of him training with segal and suddenly its helping him be a better fighter..what he is doing is being polite and getting publicity...but if you think he is learning anything from segal that he can use in the ring.......
    It's amazing how hard some of you work to change the context of what someone is saying. You did not see anywhere in my post about Seagal having anything to do with the fighter Silva is! What I did say is he's training under him in that clip... If I'm a boxer and I bring in Freddie Roach to work with me... aren't I now training under Freddie Roach?

He may not be my full time trainer but, I am training under him as long as he's working with me. I think it's foolish to assume he can't learn anything from seagal!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    No, I don't know why he's training with Seagal But, that fact that Silva see's a need to train with Seagal being a fighter of his caliber... is enough to at least look into it!
    once again, you don't know why he's training with him. He may be looking to learn fight choreography. don't jump to conclusions...now when we hear that he wants seagal to help him train for his next fight...then we can circle back to this.

It's funny you use Cro Cop as an example... When TMA people were saying head kicks would work people who think like you where saying the samething " it would've been incorporated by now" Well, It is a part of the MMA game now. I don't give a rat's a$$ about giving credit to TMA or CMA!! I'm talking about you guys shooting us down on techniques like the head kick when we bring it up... Then later it's all over MMA!
    I have a tma background, remember? You won't find a post of mine saying head kicks don't / won't work. you will find posts of me saying they leave you in a highly compromising position, and that is very true. The main thing we, or specifically, I shoot down are straight crap techniques, like when royal dragon was saying after throwing someone to the ground, he would drop a knee in the guy's head from his standing position and KO him (as opposed to bjj guys going for a knee on belly position). Or how you can stop a double leg once it is already in action and your feet are off the ground by elbowing the guy in the back of the neck... the pure BS stuff that comes from theory as opposed to experience.

I said it's training I think would help in MMA... That's all nothing more nothing less.
    why in the world would chasing arms help in mma? I'd really like to know. I would say maybe aikido footwork could aid some fighters, but heck, so can boxing footwork.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

once again, you don't know why he's training with him. He may be looking to learn fight choreography. don't jump to conclusions...now when we hear that he wants seagal to help him train for his next fight...then we can circle back to this.
    did you notice the title of the video clip?

Anderson Silva Traing with Steven Seagal for UFC 117

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEEd8jVfycg

It maybe labeled wrong (I don't know) but, that's what I was going by

I have a tma background, remember? You won't find a post of mine saying head kicks don't / won't work. you will find posts of me saying they leave you in a highly compromising position, and that is very true. The main thing we, or specifically, I shoot down are straight crap techniques, like when royal dragon was saying after throwing someone to the ground, he would drop a knee in the guy's head from his standing position and KO him (as opposed to bjj guys going for a knee on belly position). Or how you can stop a double leg once it is already in action and your feet are off the ground by elbowing the guy in the back of the neck... the pure BS stuff that comes from theory as opposed to experience.
    I see your point with the examples you're using. I never said any of that or even try any of that stuff RD said. I agree with the knee on the belly position. The elbow argument is... I'll leave that alone. Let's just say I agree with you on that as well.

why in the world would chasing arms help in mma? I'd really like to know. I would say maybe aikido footwork could aid some fighters, but heck, so can boxing footwork.
    See this is where stuff gets twisted... I was referring to stone loc training not to chasing arms in aikido. I was saying "I" think it would help... I could be wrong It's just my opinion.
    Last edited by jmd161; 07-10-2010 at 11:18 AM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    did you notice the title of the video clip?

Anderson Silva Traing with Steven Seagal for UFC 117
    I did. I also noticed striking to the back of the neck, an mma no no. Also, with layers of tape AND gloves, what is the likelihood of a successful wrist lock? I can't see this as being for mma unless silva wants to KO his opponent with something cool looking.

See this is where stuff gets twisted... I was referring to stone loc training not to chasing arms in aikido. I was saying "I" think it would help... I could be wrong It's just my opinion.
    I'm not saying stone locks won't help - I can see use for them, but a regimen consisting solely of conditioning takes away from training time. it's not efficient, which is why these drills aren't done, as I stated before.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

"George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    I like chicken.!
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post

stop smiling!

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    lol.........
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

small ones you can play with them and twirl them just like people twirl swords and sticks. its for when youre bored. the heavier ones you just lift straight up.
    theres also stone barbell for squatting, stone blocks for deadlift, double heavy stone locks for deadlift, stone drum for hugging, stone ball for medicine ball training and giant stone ball like atlas ball.
    theres also pulley machines with a wooden frame and a rope tied to a stone lock.

the fancy twirling with the light weights is for fun. they had a stone lock competition in my home province few years ago with up to 80 pounds. the minimum weight for the stone drums are like 150 pounds.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-19-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

The stone locks are cool. However, in most countries it is much easier to find Kettlebells. Plus it is easier to find PROPER instruction on the use of kettlebells that it would be to find someone who really knows how to safely use stone locks.

I read the posts earlier in this thread that suggested you [u]couldn't[/] do the exact same exercises with a kettlebell that you could with a stone lock. But the reality is you CAN do the exact same exercises with a kettlebell! In fact all the exercises I've ever seen done with stone lock I've also seen done with a kettlebell.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    In fact all the exercises I've ever seen done with stone lock I've also seen done with a kettlebell.
    The stone lock is square and the KB is round. You can't throw KB and land it on your fist, arm, or shoulder. May be there are square KB that I have not seen yet.

The purpose between stone lock and KB are complete different. The KB training is "general" physical training that make your body strong. The stone lock training also try to achieve the "general" physical training. It also includes "special" physical training that intend to develop certain special CMA skill. When you throw a stone lock among your training partners, you can develop sharp eye sight, correct body rotation, and correct body alignment. It's not just muscle development.

The difference is also like you go to gym to work out to make youself strong vs. you use a special training tool to develop a certain CMA skill.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-19-2010 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The stone lock is square and the KB is round. You can't throw KB and land it on your fist, arm, or shoulder. May be there are square KB that I have not seen yet.
    Well you've got me there but I wouldn't say the stone lock's ability to be thrown and have it land on your fist, arm, or shoulder is of any real benefit to the martial artist. Especially since there is virtually no impact as the individual who is proficient in stone lock lift "recieves" the lock on his fist, arm, or shoulder in the exact same way a kettlebell lifter "recieves" the kettlebell during a snatch or clean.

The purpose between stone lock and KB are complete different. The KB training is "general" physical training that make your body strong. The stone lock training also try to achieve the "general" physical training. It also includes "special" physical training that intend to develop certain special CMA skill. When you throw a stone lock among your training partners, you can develop sharp eye sight, correct body rotation, and correct body alignment. It's not just muscle development.

The difference is also like you go to gym to work out to make youself strong vs. you use a special training tool to develop a certain CMA skill.
    I don't agree with this. I think you are mistaken when you say that KB drills are for improving general physical preparedness and stone locks are more suited for specific (to the martial arts) physical preparedness. They are both really only suited for building general levels of strength and conditioning.

There is a common misconception among martial artists (and even among some fitness professionals) that if an exercise looks like a martial arts movement then it is "sports specific" for martial arts. Punching with light dumbbells to improve punching power or speed is a perfect example of this misconception. The reality is more often than not the "joint angle specificity" is all off. And even if the drill was hitting the muscles in the right way the load and speed of the movement would still be off.

The only real specificity a martial artists can get is through sparring and grappling with a real partner. Everything else is actually more on the "General" side of the training spectrum - even heavybag work (S.A.I.D. Principle).

So, other than the dubious "stone lock landing on the shoulder, fist, or arm" I don't see how stone lock lifting is much different from kettlebell lifting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTAEL...eature=related

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by donjitsu2 View Post
    I wouldn't say the stone lock's ability to be thrown and have it land on your fist, arm, or shoulder is of any real benefit to the martial artist.
    It's used to test your body structure and alignment which is very important in CMA training. It's similiar to Karate guys doing fist puch up. To test whether your wrist is strong enough to throw a punch.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-22-2010 at 04:04 PM.

small stone lock train hand eye coordination and body movement. big stone lock train for strength. its not one or the other its both.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-20-2010 at 06:38 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC