Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chinese stone locs

Hi jmd161,

I do understand what you are saying. That would mean that you have another drill where the lock strikes the bottom of the forearm. The one you showed would be for attacks under the attacking arm.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Hi jmd161,

I do understand what you are saying. That would mean that you have another drill where the lock strikes the bottom of the forearm. The one you showed would be for attacks under the attacking arm.

mickey
    Actually, we don't have a drill for the locs striking the bottom... We use the various dummies and 3 star to make up for it. I was thinking about that the other day actually... how can I better use the locs for the under side of the arm?

It strikes it a bit but not like the top of the arm.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    I haven't seen kettle bells that extend out enough to strike the forearms like the locs in the last video, have you?

Those locks are made to specifically strike the forearms.
    I actually just tried this with 20lb kettle bells. they smack the forearm, but not very far back. a few inches below the base of the wrist. But like I said before, other than hitting bags and contact sparring, striking surface conditioning is not a focus of mma training.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Get some kettlebells for the movements.

Get some iron body bags to strike your arms with.

Train with kettlebells.

Hit arms with iron body bags.

Problem solved.

In fact, it's probably better this way, since you can condition every part of your forearm rather than just the part that the loc (lock?) hits.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

i like partner drills for forearm conditioning, you can effect your entire limb.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i like partner drills for forearm conditioning, you can effect your entire limb.
    I agree, but partners are not always on "your" level...

I bang my arms pretty good against metal poles and trees... Not all my training brothers take it to this extreme, so they can't really bang too much with me. Funny thing is my sifu at 60+ still kills me!

I can't bang with him more than 4-5 strikes because it feels like bone to bone and it hurts like hell!
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    Get some kettlebells for the movements.

Get some iron body bags to strike your arms with.

Train with kettlebells.

Hit arms with iron body bags.

Problem solved.

In fact, it's probably better this way, since you can condition every part of your forearm rather than just the part that the loc (lock?) hits.

My sifu has the long slender bags filled with sand for this purpose...

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    I actually just tried this with 20lb kettle bells. they smack the forearm, but not very far back. a few inches below the base of the wrist. But like I said before, other than hitting bags and contact sparring, striking surface conditioning is not a focus of mma training.
    See this is one of those traditional methods that I think would really help in MMA... I can't see this not improving a fighters game.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

for real training you just lift it like a dumbell. max is like 60 pounds

See this is one of those traditional methods that I think would really help in MMA... I can't see this not improving a fighters game.
    If it were necessary, it would've been incorporated by now. The actual training provides all of the conditioning needed. sparring conditions the shins, insteps, torso, etc. Grappling does the same. Remember, training should be smart and efficient. why have separate times for conditioning when it can be included. that is an issue some tma is faced with these days. I remember complaints on this forum about classes where there was little to no sparring, because there was no time! you do line kicks, iron palm, calisthenics, forms, weapons, drills, reviewing basics, apparatus training, qi gong, etc. by the time class is done, you don't have time for sparring.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

If it were necessary, it would've been incorporated by now. The actual training provides all of the conditioning needed. sparring conditions the shins, insteps, torso, etc. Grappling does the same. Remember, training should be smart and efficient. why have separate times for conditioning when it can be included. that is an issue some tma is faced with these days. I remember complaints on this forum about classes where there was little to no sparring, because there was no time! you do line kicks, iron palm, calisthenics, forms, weapons, drills, reviewing basics, apparatus training, qi gong, etc. by the time class is done, you don't have time for sparring.

I don't agree and I'll use your post in another thread to support my argument! This is your reply to my post in another thread...

Originally Posted by SevenStar
    I've met seagal and know several of his students. I know he has legit skill. I've just never posted on that thread. Personally, If I was silva, I wouldn't be training with seagal - not for fight prep. Now, if he just always wanted to learn aikido, that's one thing, but I wouldn't take it any further.

Now, in that same thread this is also what you posted...

Originally Posted by SevenStar
    you have a guy who, from what we know, doesn't fight, and he's giving fight advice to a guy who makes a living by fighting. even if what he says is valid, it can come across as having less credibility than it would if say, anderson silva had told him.
    Anderson Silva makes his living by fighting in the ring... Not only does he make his living in the ring but, he's one of the best at what he does. In the same thread you said you'd lend "credibility" to something if it came from Anderson Silva but turn right around and say you wouldn't accept training from the same person that Anderson Silva is training under?

This is something I've pointed out before and recently in another thread to knifefighter. Anderson Silva is doing something out the norm and people here are laughing and saying they would not take advice from Seagal. What happens next is he becomes the exception not the norm in debates... then it goes to no it's always been a part of MMA! If anything Seagal teaches Silva becomes the next widely used technique in MMA no one will credit it coming from Seagal or remember this thread...

Yet you always here "who would not be open to anything that can help their fighting?"
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun

This is something I've pointed out before and recently in another thread to knifefighter. Anderson Silva is doing something out the norm and people here are laughing and saying they would not take advice from Seagal. What happens next is he becomes the exception not the norm in debates... then it goes to no it's always been a part of MMA! If anything Seagal teaches Silva becomes the next widely used technique in MMA no one will credit it coming from Seagal or remember this thread...

Yet you always here "who would not be open to anything that can help their fighting?"
    1. you don't know what he is looking to learn from seagal or why

2. the fact that he is training with him has no bearing on my statement. HE chose to train with someone who does not fight - that was his decision, and he knows why he made it.

3. If he did learn some snazzy aikido technique and beat a guy with it, no, aikido wouldn't be credited. Why should it? the first "m" in mma stands for "mixed" innovation is bound to happen, and has been since its inception. people used to say head kicks didn't work until cro cop started murdering people with them. louisseau KO'ed a guy with a jump spinning back kick.

I think what I dislike about tma the most is that you guys always want credit for something, as if it matters. look at the stink you guys made here about cung le. "he knows kung fu", "he is a cma", "he wrestled, but that throw was from san shou" etc. even though it is no secret that he has wrestled since he was a young child - and was one of the best in the state at the time - and that he also has training in TKD, you guys still wished to make him a pure cma and downplayed his other experience. In the end, it doesn't matter where it came from. You don't see the muay thai guys running around saying "yeah, that's OUR clinch knee!"

4. what the heck does this have to do with a stone lock? Are you saying that they may use the forearm conditioning to end up KOing a guy with a forearm strike? even still, there would be no need for separate training, just like there is no need currently. they can smash there forearms against the the heavy bag while doing bag work, same as the rest of the striking surface conditioning.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    If it were necessary, it would've been incorporated by now.
    people are always discovering "new" training methods every day.
    Truck tires, sledge hammers,heavy ropes, indian clubs, kettlebells, etc- these are not new, they are ancient.
    MMA guys simply haven't heard of them yet.
    The Beijing SJ guys are doing great things with stone locks. If it trickles down, it will be the next training tool.

ok, on another line, does anyone have any ideas on how to make their own stone locks?
    Anyone have any experience with casting cement, or carving stone?
    Where's Uki when you need him....?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

I don't agree and I'll use your post in another thread to support my argument! This is your reply to my post in another thread...

Now, in that same thread this is also what you posted...

Anderson Silva makes his living by fighting in the ring... Not only does he make his living in the ring but, he's one of the best at what he does. In the same thread you said you'd lend "credibility" to something if it came from Anderson Silva but turn right around and say you wouldn't accept training from the same person that Anderson Silva is training under?

people know silva is bored with mma maybe he is looking to move into films...he sure as sh*t is not learning how to fight from segal..he already knows how to do that

silva is not training under him, he was not his student, segal had nothing to do with him becoming the fighter he is that was down to BTT no one else. People see i littlee clip of him training with segal and suddenly its helping him be a better fighter..what he is doing is being polite and getting publicity...but if you think he is learning anything from segal that he can use in the ring.......

I think what I dislike about tma the most is that you guys always want credit for something, as if it matters. look at the stink you guys made here about cung le. "he knows kung fu", "he is a cma", "he wrestled, but that throw was from san shou" etc. even though it is no secret that he has wrestled since he was a young child - and was one of the best in the state at the time - and that he also has training in TKD, you guys still wished to make him a pure cma and downplayed his other experience. In the end, it doesn't matter where it came from. You don't see the muay thai guys running around saying "yeah, that's OUR clinch knee!"

4. what the heck does this have to do with a stone lock? Are you saying that they may use the forearm conditioning to end up KOing a guy with a forearm strike? even still, there would be no need for separate training, just like there is no need currently. they can smash there forearms against the the heavy bag while doing bag work, same as the rest of the striking surface conditioning.
    these are very good points.

as for no 4 i would like to know the answer too, why condition the upper arms and forearms so much, what exactly is the use, and even if you find one why not simply incoperate it into the sparring and bag work, why complicate it by adding in more stuff that takes away time from sparring and actual training?

[QUOTE=TenTigers;1025330]people are always discovering "new" training methods every day.
    Truck tires, sledge hammers,heavy ropes, indian clubs, kettlebells, etc- these are not new, they are ancient.
    MMA guys simply haven't heard of them yet.
    The Beijing SJ guys are doing great things with stone locks. If it trickles down, it will be the next training tool.
    QUOTE]

people discover gimics every day, and every trainer wants to make themselves special or unique..this does not change the fact that half the stuff above is redundent and useless for most fighters