Thread: Opinion-Bajiquan or Tongbei

Question Opinion-Bajiquan or Tongbei

Hello;

I am looking for some generic hypothetical advice regarding a conversation I am having with a friend regarding body type and two different martial arts. I am looking for any educated opinions but even friendly non-first hand outlooks would be great

Here is the baseline question and it is regarding the two above arts based on a selective body type.

Which of the two art's would be hypothetically better suited for a short and stocky individual and can you give me any information on why?

Let us take out of the consideration, the knowledge of the teacher, the skill of the student, the natural conditioning of the student and let us even take out student's psychological fighting inclinations, such as does he tend to favor a fight from the inside range or from a longer range naturally.

For a generic background point let us say the student is working on Yang Tai Chi if you need something to go on.

Thanks and any opinions on the question or actually any on the above systems of Baji or Tongbei and its longer armed sister arts like Pigua would be great

Gavin

1. both styles needs a lot of conditioning and relaxation drills.

2. ba ji is go inside and stay inside.

move your body in first

3. tong bei has long arm swings, go long and go far,

so your body is close but not neccesarily nearing.

4. mentation wise

ba ji is hard and harder with short burst of strikes at 3 levels with body parts

tong bei is fast and faster with long arms swings to strike

the second strike hurries or pushes the first strike

the 3rd strike pushing the 2nd strike

-----

do both and decide for yourself.