Thread: Teaching Weapons to Children.

Teaching Weapons to Children.

To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

if taught properly I think it's ok. Anytime after about 9 years old when motor skills are starting to fire up a lot.

when teaching a weapon to anyone, the biggest factor is their character and your assurance of the goodness of it really.

I mean a person can be a little off some days and still be of good character.

I personally wouldn't teach weapon handling and retention skills to those with the wrong intent by my discernment.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I can still remember learning the staff in elementary school, at around 10 years old. One day, we were doing two-man forms, and my partner decided he didn't want to play the role of the "loser". So instead, he just smashed me in the head. I suppose I'm lucky he didn't take my eye out.

Teach weapon etiquette first

Kendo has an excellent system of weapon etiquette. It's very formal and builds respect and understanding. Unfortunately, CMA is severely lacking in weapon etiquette. I think a lot of that comes from modern wushu making lightweight weapons that don't command so much respect. Here's another place where traditional really shines.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Did you create that form?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

I agree I think it depends on each person (or child's) character and behavior. Not sure what age that is actually. Weapon etiquette is a great idea universally. Btw Lokhopkuen, your son looks pretty sharp with his skills, you must be proud of him. Way to go!

When someone doesn't "need" a weapon, that is the perfect time to teach them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    When someone doesn't "need" a weapon, that is the perfect time to teach them.
    Well said.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    Did you create that form?
    No it's part of my teacher's curriculum
    -Patanjali Samadhi

~ Bodhi

sticks first...

children of martial parents will naturally learn to use weapons naturally from observing their parents... common sense and natural parenting wisdom will obviously keep the more dangerous weapons out of childrens hands... nothing wrong with sticks, clubs, and bats for the child to find movement, balance, and basic mechanics - each child will progress differently... parental observation of the childs weapon responsibility is paramount here.

I have never seen a nunchaku form I like, but you have a very nice looking kid!

As to teaching weapons to youngsters, I like wooden weapons too. Sticks, staff, short staff and bokken! 15 is old enough for the more serious ones though, especially if your father is an instructor!

If they are big enough to hold'em go for it. Other than giving them live blades, I don't see a problem.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Thumbs up Children and weapon training

The mental ability of the child is what counts, my Grandson started playing around with toy swords, the ones sold for kids that flashed and made them feel like there were from the " dark Side " LOL when he was 3 or 4.

I started teaching him Sword cuts and blocks as he went along. He got really good with the BroadSword.Teaching children weapons is a good idea if they are capable of learning them and understand the danger involved.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

weapons may hurt other but also hurt ourself, too,

like a double edge sword.

so the first thing to learn is how not to hurt ourself while practicing.

staff wise

learn long staff, then medium staff

then learn 3 section staff

then learn 2 section staff

and not the other way around

---