Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Karate Kid II

The Karate Kid II

Might as well get the ball rolling on this thread now. Our previous Karate Kid thread did so well.

Jun 16 2010 01:48 PM ET
    'Karate Kid' sequel: 'We've been talking about it for weeks.'
    by Nicole Sperling
    Categories: Movie Biz

When your $40 million movie bows to $56 million, of course you’re going to start thinking about how to make a sequel. And Sony Pictures is indeed putting things into place. The studio confirmed yesterday that plans to reunite Jaden Smith with his star-making role as Dre Parker have been in the works for weeks. No writers have yet been hired, but the studio’s production president Doug Belgrad said, “We’ve been talking about it for weeks already. We didn’t want to jinx anything but we knew we had a playable movie and we were pretty excited about it. So we’re already kicking ideas around.”

Director Harald Zwart added, “I would absolutely love to do a sequel. I think working with those guys was the best part of my career. So yeah, if they want me, I would love to do it again.”

No word on ideas yet for the sequel, or even if the Smith clan would return to China for number two. But it’s clear we have not seen the last of Dre Parker. —Reporting by Chris Nashawaty
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

itll be good, as long as they dont rush it...studios get so impatient when they have a hit they always try to strike while the irons hot and it results in a epic fail every time...but with jackie's schedule and even jaden's since from what i hear he is only allowed to shoot during summer break, they have no choice but to develop the project and take time to create a great sequel.

Some more from Zwart

Jun 14 2010 6:14 PM EDT 5,012
    'The Karate Kid' Filmmaker Talks Success, Sequel
    'It far exceeded my expectations,' director Harald Zwart says of Jackie Chan/ Jaden Smith reboot's box office performance.
    By Josh Wigler

Daniel LaRusso and Mr. Miyagi are nowhere to be found, but the "Karate Kid" franchise is most certainly back in business. The Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith-starring reboot arrived in theaters over the weekend and kicked its way to a first-place trophy worth $56 million, surpassing the movie's production budget by more than $15 million.

"It far exceeded my expectations," director Harald Zwart told MTV News of the film's success. "I'm from Scandinavia and we are in no habit of letting our dreams get the better half of us. We keep our feet on the ground and wait until we see the reality, and this time it just really exceeded what I had hoped for. It was just amazing!"

Zwart caught the film in theaters opening weekend, watching it alongside complete strangers. Fortunately, these anonymous moviegoers seemed to love the martial arts adventure.

"You get worried when you sit there at the premiere and go, 'Oh, this is amazing. They love the movie.' Obviously, they would," the director said of his industry peers. "Going out to see it completely with an audience that you don't know and they also cheer in the end, you know you've done something right," he explained. "You live in a bubble as a filmmaker and no one can tell you the real truth, you just try to gauge it with tracking and everything. But until you're in a random movie theater that's packed ... I tried to go into the 11:00 show and I couldn't go! They were sold out! I was going to do the whole 'I'm the director of the movie' thing, but I figured they wouldn't believe me."

With "The Karate Kid" having established itself as a box office hit, there's already talk of a possible sequel. Zwart said that while another installment has been discussed, he and his team have only loosely tossed around the idea up until now — so as to avoid jinxing anything.

"Every now and then we discussed it," he said. "But the truth is, when you see Jackie and Jaden, they're like a really good film couple. On and off camera, I was watching how they were pulling practical jokes on each other and throwing rocks in the lake, and you just want to keep looking at them because they have a great dynamic and great humor. We have just been playing with a few different ideas, but we haven't landed on anything at the moment."

Zwart, speaking only for himself he said, would like to see another "Karate Kid" film explore an all-new story rather than follow in the cinematic footsteps of the '84 flick's two sequels. "I personally think it's now so much on its own two feet, given the success, that it would be interesting to see where we could take it without ever thinking about the old ones."

And Zwart said he would love to be the one at the helm of a "Karate Kid" sequel. "If they think I'm appropriate for it," Zwart added. "I think Sony has been fantastic for me. They're the best studio to work for. They're such a filmmaker-friendly studio. And [Will Smith's production company] Overbrook, in my opinion, is by far the coolest company. So, yes, I would love to work with them again."

For now, the director is happy enough that his flick is resonating with moviegoers.

"I'm just really happy that a really good film [was also] a success," Zwart said. "It's a movie where we decided to take our time to tell the story; we didn't compromise. Both the studio and the production company gave me, the filmmaker, the support and freedom to do the movie that I believed was right."
    Jackie would do it for sure. After all, he sequeled the Shanghai franchise and the Rush Hour franchise. His next big project is a sequel to Armor of God franchise and there's even some talk of a Spy Next Door sequel. Jackie loves franchises. He has more franchises than any other actor on the planet. So it's really about Jaden, but it's such a given that he do it. KK has been a windfall for him.

I think the bigger question is 'Will Airbender warrant sequel?'
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

well its doing well financially thats really all paramount cares about... so we might get that sequel to the last airbender...matter of fact we should know in the next two weeks...but i really, really, really hope they get rid of M.night....these types of films are just not for him.

moving from kung fu to karate?

kung fu to karate? oh don't start that again....
    August 26, 2010
    'Kung Fu Panda' writers to pen 'Karate Kid' sequel (exclusive)

Cyrus Voris and Ethan Reiff are moving from kung fu to karate.

The duo, who wrote 2008's "Kung Fu Panda," have been tapped to pen the sequel to "The Karate Kid," Sony's surprise summer hit that Will Smith produced and starred his son Jaden Smith.

Budgeted in the $40 million range, "Karate Kid" has grossed nearly $300 million worldwide. A sequel was put in motion immediately, with the writing gig becoming one of the hottest assignments in town.

The update deviated from the 1984 original in that the latest story was set in China; a 1986 sequel saw the action go from the U.S. to Japan. The new sequel could try to keep the reversal going and seek to bring its cast to the U.S. Columbia would not reveal the setting or the plot for the new movie.

Smith is producing with Overbrook Entertainment partners James Lassiter and Ken Stovitz.

Voris_cyrus_reiff_ethan_341Voris (pictured left) and Reiff (pictured right) created Showtime's "Sleeper Cell" and made a big splash in features with "Nottingham," their upending of the Robin Hood myth that, after going through the Hollywood meat grinder, eventually was turned into this year's "Robin Hood."

The duo also wrote "Gil's All Fright Diner," which Barry Sonnenfeld and Kirk De Micco are co-directing for DreamWorks Animation.

The writers are repped by UTA, Field Entertainment and attorney Dave Feldman.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Last edited by pmosiun; 08-28-2010 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pmosiun View Post
    Cool, can't wait for the sequel.

I can.

Maybe Jaden will hulk out

‘Incredible Hulk’ Writer Hired For ‘Karate Kid’ Sequel
    Feb 8, 2012 by Sandy Schaefer

Zak Penn (The Incredible Hulk) has been hired on to script a followup to the 2010 remake of ‘The Karate Kid’, with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan expected to return.

Columbia Pictures began developing a sequel to The Karate Kid mere days after the 2010 remake opened to a unexpected $55.6 million during its debut weekend. The studio hired on screenwriting duo Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris (who penned the screen stories for Kung Fu Panda and Ridley Scott’s Robin Hood) just a few months later, but we’ve heard little else about the project over the 17 months that’ve passed since then.

That doesn’t mean the project is in any kind of trouble, of course. Case in point: another writer has been brought onboard, with (most likely) the intent of getting The Karate Kid 2 (not the official title) ready to begin shooting before 2012 draws to a close.

Variety says that Zak Penn has been tapped to pen the Karate Kid sequel script; the site’s report does not clarify if he will be reworking Reiff and Voris’ earlier draft, or simply starting from scratch. However, there is little doubt that Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan will be brought back to portray culturally-diverse student-teacher duo Dre Parker and Mr. Han once again.

Penn brings experience writing action-heavy comic book titles, ranging from good (The Incredible Hulk) to mediocre (X-Men: The Last Stand) and pretty undeniably bad (Elektra). However, the Alphas co-creator was only one of several contributors to that X-Men threequel and Daredevil spinoff flick, whereas he was the sole writer on the Hulk sequel/reboot. Not to mention, Penn also… er, penned the screen story for X2: X-Men United.

That’s all to say: Penn’s being involved with Karate Kid 2 reads as being a good thing. Seeing how he will most likely be (to some degree) revamping Reiff and Voris’ preliminary screenplay draft, this particular sequel to a remake that turned out much better than many expected is off to a pretty solid start, all things considered.

The followup to the original 1984 Karate Kid movie delved further into the backstory of Mr. Miyagi (renamed Mr. Han, in the remake) and saw the titular character accompany his mentor to the latter’s homeland, learning more about the very origins of martial arts in the process. However, similar narrative ground has already been covered in the Karate Kid remake, so the sequel to that flick will presumably travel a different plot route.

Harald Zwart provided sturdy direction in The Karate Kid, so it stands to reason that he should – and will – also be sought to return for sequel. Solid acting (especially on Chan’s part) and storytelling were much more central to that remake’s success, though, so the idea of a different helmer being brought onboard for Karate Kid 2 wouldn’t, per se, bode poorly for the potential quality of the film.

Smith will also be a more seasoned and matured an actor by the time Karate Kid 2 begins production, seeing how he’ll be doing the bulk of heavy-lifting on M. Night Shyamalan’s currently-filming After Earth. So, again, regardless of who ends up directing or what the story is, the Karate Kid sequel actually has a lot working in its favor right now.
    Hey now, Elektra wasn't 'undeniably bad'. It had Jennifer Garner in a hot red ninjette suit.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I found the Karate Kid far more undeniably bad then Elektra.
    At least Elektra had Garner in a sexy ninja suit as Gene mentioned, a girl-girl kiss ( those always add a thesbian quality to any movie) and Bob Sapp getting pile drived by a tree.
    Outside of Chan, this KK sucked more ass than a German woman of ill repute during Octoberfest.
    Just saying...
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Eisner is in

Smart timing for a news release, given yesterday.

‘Karate Kid 2′ Locks Breck Eisner To Helm Jaden Smith, Jackie Chan
    By MIKE FLEMING JR | Monday April 7, 2014 @ 12:09pm PDT

EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures has locked Breck Eisner to direct Karate Kid 2, the sequel that will bring back Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. Harald Zwart directed the 2010 original, which grossed $56 million on its opening weekend and ended with $343 million worldwide. Eisner, repped by CAA and Management 360, most recently directed the gritty horror film The Crazies. It is an important film for the studio that has placed a premium in the care and feeding of franchises with global appeal. The original 1984 Karate Kid is a beloved film, but let’s face it, that crane deal at the end would never have worked, and this kid is way more believable as a martial artist.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Eisner out

...plus a screenwriter shuffle.
    Breck Eisner Exits Karate Kid 2, New Writers Come Aboard
    Source: Deadline
    June 25, 2014

Although Breck Eisner signed on to direct back in April, Deadline reports that the The Crazies helmer has exited Sony Pictures's The Karate Kid 2 due to schedule conflicts. The studio has also brought aboard a new screenwriting pair, Jeremiah Friedman and Nick Palmer, to rewrite the script, previously drafted by Zak Penn, Ethan Reiff and Cyrus Voris.

The original movie, directed by Harald Zwart, modernized the beloved 1984 classic starring Ralph Macchio and Pat Morita, and opened big with $55.6 million in June 2011, before going on to gross $359 million worldwide.

Both Jackie Chan and Jaden Smith are planning to reprise their roles for the sequel.

Eisner, meanwhile, remains attached to Lionsgate's The Last Witch Hunter, which has Vin Diesel attached to star.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

false

From Jackie's official site:

“We have noticed that false information that Mr. Chan would act in the motion pictures Rush Hour 4 and The Karate Kid 2 is spreading through multiple social media platforms, and that certain apparently infringing parties have misappropriated the personal WeChat and email accounts of Mr. Esmond Rend, a motion picture industry professional, to release false information concerning the hiring of the crew, casting, audition and other matters in connection with the pictures Rush Hour 4 and The Karate Kid 2,

“With respect to the above information, on behalf of Mr. Chan, we hereby declare that any and all such information, as spread by such infringers, relating to Mr. Chan providing or about to provide acting services in the motion pictures Rush Hour 4 and The Karate Kid 2 is false.

“Any relevant information released by any infringer through appropriating the personal WeChat and email accounts of Mr. Esmond Ren is false, and Mr. Chan does not have anything to do with such released information or the content thereof.”
    THREADS
    Rush Hour 4
    The Karate Kid II
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

RIP Robert Garrison

Robert Garrison, Who Played Tommy in 'Karate Kid,' Dies at 59
    11:02 AM PDT 9/27/2019 by Ryan Parker

Shutterstock; Getty Images
    'Karate Kid' (Inset: Rob Garrison)

The actor appeared in the film 'Iron Eagle' and in a number of TV shows, including the classics 'Coach,' 'MacGyver' and 'Columbo.'
    Robert Garrison, best known for his work in Karate Kid, has died, his rep, Rick Henriques, confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter. He was 59.

"It is a huge loss to the Karate Kid and Cobra Kai family," Henriques said. "He was a great guy and a great actor." No cause of death was disclosed.

Garrison played Tommy, the wicked Cobra Kai member who delighted in Daniel (Ralph Macchio) being punished both in and out of the ring. Tommy has the memorable line of "Get him a bodybag!" which he yells while laughing maniacally during the climax of the film.

He reprised the role of Tommy in Karate Kid: Part II (1986) and Cobra Kai (2019).

Garrison appeared in the film Iron Eagle and in a number of TV shows, including the classics Coach, MacGyver and Columbo.

Garrison is survived by his brother, Patrick, and sister-in-law, Linda.
    THREADS
    Karate Kid
    Karate Kid 2
    Cobra Kai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cobra Kai and the Legacy of The Karate Kid

Read my latest feature for Den of Geek: Cobra Kai and the Legacy of The Karate Kid

THREADS
    Karate Kid
    Karate Kid 2
    Cobra Kai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The Real Martial Arts Behind Cobra Kai and The Karate Kid

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips