Might as well get the ball rolling on this thread now. Our previous Karate Kid thread did so well.

Jun 16 2010 01:48 PM ET
'Karate Kid' sequel: 'We've been talking about it for weeks.'
by Nicole Sperling
Categories: Movie Biz

When your $40 million movie bows to $56 million, of course you’re going to start thinking about how to make a sequel. And Sony Pictures is indeed putting things into place. The studio confirmed yesterday that plans to reunite Jaden Smith with his star-making role as Dre Parker have been in the works for weeks. No writers have yet been hired, but the studio’s production president Doug Belgrad said, “We’ve been talking about it for weeks already. We didn’t want to jinx anything but we knew we had a playable movie and we were pretty excited about it. So we’re already kicking ideas around.”

Director Harald Zwart added, “I would absolutely love to do a sequel. I think working with those guys was the best part of my career. So yeah, if they want me, I would love to do it again.”

No word on ideas yet for the sequel, or even if the Smith clan would return to China for number two. But it’s clear we have not seen the last of Dre Parker. —Reporting by Chris Nashawaty