Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee Jingwu movie

Bruce Lee Jingwu movie

The doors of the Jingwu Association burst open, Bruce Lee’s shrieking kiai pierces the night, in a final fatalistic act he throws a sidekick into a burst of machine gun fire. Thus ends the iconic Bruce Lee movie on the early history of the Jingwu Association. For many that movie is the first and most lasting impression they have of the Jingwu Association. My wife and I’s book on the Jingwu Association’s early years has recently been published and I took some time recently to watch that movie to see what aspects of its portrayal were accurate and which were movie hype.

The movie I am referring to is known in the west as “Fists of Fury” but its Chinese title is “Jingwu Men” or Jingwu Gate. The Jingwu Association was the single most important Chinese martial arts association of the Republican Period. The Jingwu was responsible for a number of developments in Chinese martial arts. One of these firsts was the fact the Jingwu Association was the first Chinese martial arts association to make movies of their martial arts activities and these 8mm movie reels as part of their program to promote Chinese martial arts both in China and in other parts of Asia. Sadly none of these movie reels survived.

What has survived is the interest in Jingwu movies. The three best known Jingwu movies are the one starring Bruce Lee and two more recent movies starring Jet Li. The two Jet Li movies that feature the Jingwu are; “Hero of Jingwu” and “Huo Yuanjia”, the latter was released in the U.S. as “Fearless”.

Turning to the Bruce Lee film, a number of the things shown in that film are fairly realistic, while other aspects of the film are normal “film hype” or entirely fictional. When I offer this critique of the film, I am fully aware of the fact that movies are entertainment and that nobody at Golden Harvest, the film company that made the film, claimed that the film was “historically accurate”. But in many odd ways it was.

One of the first things one notices about any Bruce Lee film is the ****iness, coolness and energy of Bruce Lee. In the movie Fist of Fury Bruce Lee struts around, is quick to ditch his top to better display his cut physique and at one point actually thumbs his nose at his opponents. And when it comes to fighting he is a fireball of youthful energy. In reality the Jingwu Association shared many of these same attributes. The Jingwu did present itself as a “young” and iconoclast organization. The Jingwu did “thumb its nose” at many of the traditional ways of thinking that they thought were holding China back. One of the main proponents of the Jingwu, a journalist named Chen Tiesheng, was quick in his articles to display the same kind of “attitude” that Bruce Lee displayed in the movie. Chen Tiesheng used a youthful, “cool and ****y” tone in his writings that attacked anyone who spoke against the Jingwu Association or its plans. Chen Tiesheng had ongoing media battles with a number of conservative Chinese writers over the issue of Chinese modernization.

Like the fictional character played by Bruce Lee, many of the real life early Jingwu proponents were quick to literally show their muscles. Many of the photographs of the early Jingwu events show Jingwu students flexing their muscles and training with weights. Although by modern standards none of the real life Jingwu students were “ripped”; nonetheless by Chinese standards of the early 1900s they were far more developed than the average.

In a related vein, in the movie Bruce Lee is always sharply dressed in his Jingwu uniform while in contract the enemies of the Jingwu are usually shown in some state of dishevelment. This is also true to historical reality. The real Jingwu Association prided itself on having its students and teachers looking sharp in their uniforms. The Jingwu presented itself as having a “fresh tailored style” that served to separate it from the dirty, disheveled look that had been the norm for Chinese martial artists of the late Qing.

To keep this post from getting too long let me just list some of the things shown in the movie and comment on the historical aspects of them:

Japanese poisoned Huo Yuanjia: No proof of this and not very likely. The number one weapon of the Japanese in Shanghai was money bribes. Japanese martial arts, in particular judo and jiujitsu, were a well established part of the Shanghai martial arts scene and there would be no reason to murder/poison an aging Northern Shaolin teacher even one as high profile as Huo.

Huo as founder of Jingwu: Not really. Huo was the “spiritual symbol” of the Jingwu but it can not be said in any realistic sense that he was a founder. The founders of the Jingwu were a group of middle class businessmen who all had ties with the New Culture Movement and the Kuomintang Political Party.

Women at the Jingwu: Fist of Fury is famous as being the only Bruce Lee movie where Bruce Lee kisses a girl who is one of his fellow students at the Jingwu. And it is true that the Jingwu had a women’s program but---the women and men did not train together. That would have been too much for even the progressive Jingwu Association to accept.

There are other interesting aspects to the movie but let me keep this post kind of short.

Take care,
    Brian

Jingwu in the context of the new culture movement, modernization, nationalism and republicanism, all brilliant....

have to read the book!

thanks so much
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Hi lkfmdc,
    Thanks much for your kind words in the other thread. I passed them along to Elizabeth. We hope all is well with you, your family and your students. New York has been kind of warm this week eh?

take care and thanks much,
    Brian (and Elizabeth)

I have spent good time in both worlds (kung fu and academic) and yet see so few really authentic attempts to deal with this stuff accurately in an academic format. And most of the time works pile on the crap rather than pull back the myth. Your books are a wonderful gift for me, thank you again

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Good write up.

I haven't purchased your JingWu book yet, but it is on the list. I'll own it before the summer is out most likely.

There is another movie (but not as popular) called New Fist of Fury or Xin jing wu men with Jackie Chan. It says that Jing Wu goes to underground to Taiwan and so on.

I'm surprised by the similarities. It would be amazing if someone had those 8mm films. You wonder if they were lost to time or the purges.

Bruce may not have been much of a traditional Chinese martial artist, but he stirred up interest in Chinese martial arts for thousands of people.

The Jingwu book is to awesoem for mere words.
    The section on "pici", the "bayonet" fighting system of Jingwu was wuite interesting and very applicable for this day and age and the changes going through inTCMA.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Thumbs up

Great post, Brian!
    It's such a pity that those old 8mm movies did not survive. I wonder if the Nanjing Zhongyang Guoshu Guan (Nanjing Central Guoshu Institute; sorry, my knowledge of pinyin system is bad) ever made any similar film records, and if they did, if any have survived. The oldest clip of any Chinese martial artist I've ever seen was, back in a junior college class (early '80s), they showed a film that mentioned the Boxer Rebellion, and there was a very brief clip showing one of the "boxers," queue and all, performing part of a broadsword form. If I remember right, it looked overly fast, grainy and jerky, as would be expected of film taken in 1900.
    I have read that CMA were demonstrated at the 1936 Olympics in Berlin(?). It would be invaluable to see any film that might have been taken of that event.

Keep up the excellent work, Brian and Elizabeth!

Good Morning Folks,
    Sanjuro Ronin, thanks for the good words and the comments on the Pici training. It is interesting to see that Prof. Ma Mingte in mainland China is advocating a return to this type of Jingwu Pici training using the kendo gear and a kind of bamboo shinni. I share his hope that Chinese sword fighting can get a form of contact sparring going.

Jimbo, like yourself I have seen some short clips of Boxer Rebellion guys doing sword forms. What I remember of it was that the guy was basically just waving the sword around in front and behind him. It is great to see those few film clips. As for clips from the National Guo Shu Project, if I remember right I asked around one time and the response I got was that nobody had ever seen any surviving film footage.

I have been told, but never seen it myself, that there is surviving footage of Chinese martial arts demos from the 1936 Olympics. I think Prof. Morris told me that in that Nazi propaganda film they made of the '36 Olympics there is a segment on the Chinese martial arts demo. That film was made by a famous female film maker (whose name eludes me right now but she did a bunch of the Nazi propaganda films).

take care,
    Brian

Ah! Famous female film maker who just LOVED Hitler... name escapes me as well but I definitely know of whom you speak

Recent Chinese history as it has been, sad but expected a lot of things have disappeared. So much war, internal striffe, etc... a few 8 mm films just disappear like dust in the wind

Leni Riefenstahl?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Leni Riefenstahl?
    we have a winner.....

Who knows how much unknown film is out there. I missed an opportunity to access some old video and when I realized the possibility it was gone.

Years ago (don't remember which year) we were doing the last CNY show for the day at Chin Hua restaurant and after the show an elderly lady approached me and told me how much what we did was like the film her father had from a trip to China.

We only exchanged a few words then she disappeared into the crowd and about a minute after she walked away I realized the possible value of what she had. I would have eassily paid to have it transferred to digital for a copy for myself. Who knows what might be on that tape or how old it is exactly.

I'm still kicking myself over it and that was around mid 90's.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

true true but also how much film withered or burned in the many conflicts over the years....

the more you learn about China in the past 200 years or so, the more amazed you are that the place is still around!

It is an interesting problem about preserving things; be it film footage, training manuals or even weapons. What happens alot of times, and I see this with my own collection. I have things in my personal collection that would have been of some interest to future historians of chinese martial arts in America. I had (note the past tense there) old Super 8mm film shot at different demos, magazine collections, photos and my own (hand drawn!) training manuals.

Well---all that stuff either has already been tossed in the trash or soon after I die will be tossed in the trash because of the simple hassle of moving it around. What is my widow going to do with it all? There are no libraries or museums or university archives that will accept Chinese martial arts history stuff. The only hand drawn training manual that stands any chance of still being around 100 years from now is Bruce Lee's Dao of Jeet Kune Do.

Until there are universities or libraries willing to budget the money to archive and index the stuff-----Chinese martial arts history will always have major gaps.

take care,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brianlkennedy View Post
    Good Morning Folks,
    Sanjuro Ronin, thanks for the good words and the comments on the Pici training. It is interesting to see that Prof. Ma Mingte in mainland China is advocating a return to this type of Jingwu Pici training using the kendo gear and a kind of bamboo shinni. I share his hope that Chinese sword fighting can get a form of contact sparring going.

Jimbo, like yourself I have seen some short clips of Boxer Rebellion guys doing sword forms. What I remember of it was that the guy was basically just waving the sword around in front and behind him. It is great to see those few film clips. As for clips from the National Guo Shu Project, if I remember right I asked around one time and the response I got was that nobody had ever seen any surviving film footage.

I have been told, but never seen it myself, that there is surviving footage of Chinese martial arts demos from the 1936 Olympics. I think Prof. Morris told me that in that Nazi propaganda film they made of the '36 Olympics there is a segment on the Chinese martial arts demo. That film was made by a famous female film maker (whose name eludes me right now but she did a bunch of the Nazi propaganda films).

take care,
    Brian
    Brian,

I read the while book in one day. Great read. I noticed though that there was not much information about actual martial arts training. Was that because there was not that much information on it or were you trying to present all aspects of Jingwu equally. The only pictures I recall are large groups of people doing what looked like forms. Were they grapplers, strikers, both, or did they do mostly form training?