Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Flying Swords of Dragon Gate

HH Approved

I was pleasantly surprised by this...for some different reasons. I didn't see it in 3D, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment, I would have liked to see it in the theater though.

The opening scene was a bit over the top, flying logs and heros in fact it dampered my expectations for this film but in spite of that the film progressed nicely. You had Chinese ninjas with Jet Li, shadow organizations, the evil and cruel authorities, hot female sword slingers, duplicity...the den of thieves in an oasis, bar fights etc.

The fight scenes were well choreographed, lots of fun moves, especially with the use of a broad range of weapons, throwing knives, swords, bows, xbows, Kwan Doas, whips, sharpened circles etc.

As someone else mentioned it did have an "Indiana Jones-esq" feel to it...which enhanced my enjoyment of it.

Overall I give it 7.5 Bawangs out of 10.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Rented this through xbox zune app last night. Good film. Gordon Liu played a pretty good evil eunuch, short lived but well worth the sight! The flying log thing seems to be a pretty constant effect in a lot of wuxia movies. There was a nice twist at the end with the seceret agent as well.

Pretty good effects, and some nice action.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

It's all about the 3D

I saw it on DVD on my TV and wasn't overly impressed. Then I saw it on 3D IMAX and loved it. If you liked that flying log, it was freakin in-yo-face in 3D...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

ya i bet that was a fun ride on 3d. all those daggers and sword shards and ropes and chains....unfortunately we arent all high rollers like you Gene, finding it in a 3d imax...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

high rollers....haaaaa

Let me tell ya, there ain't a lot of money in this side of the martial industry. If only it was. I just live in a fruitful land when it comes to Chinese cinema.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Let me tell ya, there ain't a lot of money in this side of the martial industry. If only it was. I just live in a fruitful land when it comes to Chinese cinema.
    There is no end to the jealousy i feel at seeing all the awesome things you post about showing near you.