Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is what happens when you pull guard

This is what happens when you pull guard

There's a thread on the UG (mma.tv) with this title - started by the brother of the guy you'll see in the following vid.

I suggest reading the thread...this is really serious stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2zb0Krxx3Q

Here's some of what his brother posted so far:

"My little brother got into it with a guy and was stabbed. He was trying to avoid conflict and did not want to strike the guy in order to stay out of trouble. He almost choked the guy out until he pulled out a pocket knife. To top if off they were both charged with battery!

The cops came to the hospital to get his statement. He had lost a lot of blood and was on pain meds by the time they got there. His statement was "he stabbed me". The other guy told them my bro started the fight. I was told that bc of conflicting stories they were both charged and it will have to be sorted out in court. The head investigator is coming to my brothers place today to get his statement. He didnt sound too happy about the way this was be handled when I spoke to him yesterday. He said my brothers charges may be dropped and the other guys may be increased. Ill keep u guys posted. Thanks for the well wishes."
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 07-09-2010 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    There's a thread on the UG (mma.tv) with this title - started by the brother of the guy you'll see in the following vid.

I don't have volume, what happened? stabbing I guess?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I just added to my first post, Paul. Take a look.

I just added to my first post, Paul. Take a look.
    What does that have to do with "pulling guard" ?

This is a problem with any street confrontation not just grappling or pulling guard in this case. You have to be leery of who you're facing and what they might have. Then again... you can't go into a confrontation being Mr. Nice Guy IMO either...

I think pulling guard is a bad idea in a street fight because you really don't know if there are friends of the guy waiting to jump in. It could just as easily have been a friend of his doing the stabbing!

I can't speak for other areas but here in Miami very few street fights are one on one. It's usually one guy facing 2-3 more that he had no idea were involved.
    Last edited by jmd161; 07-09-2010 at 08:47 AM.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

There are times that being on the bottom MAY be safer than being on top, mounting the other guy.
    On the bottom you can use him to shield yourself, you can't do that on top.
    On the bottom you can see your attackers and they have an obstacle, him.
    On top your back is exposed and others have a clear shot at you.
    Just saying that fights tend to be shades of gray and are rarely B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by jmd161 View Post
    This is a problem with any street confrontation not just grappling or pulling guard in this case. You have to be leery of who you're facing and what they might have. Then again... you can't go into a confrontation being Mr. Nice Guy IMO either...

I think pulling guard is a bad idea in a street fight because you really don't know if there are friends of the guy waiting to jump in. It could just as easily have been a friend of his doing the stabbing!

I can't speak for other areas but here in Miami very few street fights are one on one. It's usually one guy facing 2-3 more that he had no idea were involved.
    Why in every thread like this it is assumed that the grappler is by himself. Are grapplers social pariahs? Do we all have vile breath and body odor?

Also, why is it assumed that anyone who trains BJJ is going to jump guard at the drop of a hat?

Lastly, anyone who is halfway smart in using a knife is going to cut or stab you before you even know he has one.

What this tells me is that getting into street fights is a bad idea if you can avoid it.

That sportfight mentality is great for the ring, not so good for the street.

MMA gyms should add some type of Chin Na if they really want to be complete fighters.

Everyone's so worried about the forms guys getting a false sense of security thinking they can defend themselves they fail to see their own.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Actually in Human Weapon, the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program program, Jason did a nice double leg takedown and took mount only to be stabbed by the training knife the Jarhead had in his back pocket.

You fight someone with a knife, you get cut. Life isn't a freaking kung fu movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    That sportfight mentality is great for the ring, not so good for the street.

MMA gyms should add some type of Chin Na if they really want to be complete fighters.

Everyone's so worried about the forms guys getting a false sense of security thinking they can defend themselves they fail to see their own.
    What? Chi Na is going to keep him from getting cut?!? If there is more than one or they have a weapon you are usually screwed. It doesn't matter what you train.

No, the idea is to keep him from getting the knife in his hand. If you wait until after he pulls it it's too late, better to just run.

I'm talking about focusing more on controlling or disabling the hands.
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

No, the idea is to keep him from getting the knife in his hand. If you wait until after he pulls it it's too late, better to just run.

The problem is that if he is even half way decent with a knife you won't know he has one until you have been cut.

if you cant pull of chinna against a resisting unarmed opponent (and so far no one in MMA, shanshu or any other contact arena has shown it to work) how are you going to do it against someone with a weapon

if you think you can pull it of please post just one clip of someone using chinna on their own against an unarmed fighter.....

so you want to control him and stop him using the knife...for that you need to control his limbs and limit his movement....sounds alot like clinch fighting and greco to me

Here's some of what his brother posted so far:

"My little brother got into it with a guy and was stabbed. He was trying to avoid conflict and did not want to strike the guy in order to stay out of trouble. He almost choked the guy out until he pulled out a pocket knife. To top if off they were both charged with battery!

The cops came to the hospital to get his statement. He had lost a lot of blood and was on pain meds by the time they got there. His statement was "he stabbed me". The other guy told them my bro started the fight. I was told that bc of conflicting stories they were both charged and it will have to be sorted out in court. The head investigator is coming to my brothers place today to get his statement. He didnt sound too happy about the way this was be handled when I spoke to him yesterday. He said my brothers charges may be dropped and the other guys may be increased. Ill keep u guys posted. Thanks for the well wishes."
    no thats what happens when you get into an unarmed fight with someone carrying a knife...

tell me what should he have done then, wing chuned his way out of the arguement

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Why in every thread like this it is assumed that the grappler is by himself. Are grapplers social pariahs? Do we all have vile breath and body odor?

Also, why is it assumed that anyone who trains BJJ is going to jump guard at the drop of a hat?

Lastly, anyone who is halfway smart in using a knife is going to cut or stab you before you even know he has one.

What this tells me is that getting into street fights is a bad idea if you can avoid it.
    stop making sense please you will give this forum a bad name