Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new jow recipe book

new jow recipe book

I am proud to announce the release of my first first book in a 2 vol. set,authored with a friend, "Ancient martial formulas for health and healing". This first vol. includes 56 external formulas.some of the most popular and secretive, iron palm and all purpose dit da jow formulas are presented in this book in their entirety.

corrected link
    https://www.createspace.com/3462267

www.theironlotussociety.com
    Last edited by teetsao; 07-09-2010 at 12:40 PM.

the first link is broken for me.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

yes sorry i am working on it.

ok sorry ,here is the purchase link. it will also be available through amazon in a week or so and on our website.

https://www.createspace.com/3462267

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    very cool!
    Out of curiosity, are the formulas in hanzi, or romanized Manderin, or latin?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

most are in pin yin,but some in the chinese characters. we designed it to ba taken to any chinese herbalist to get the formuloas filled.
    included are some of the most popular formulas,such as the ku yu cheong,wong fei hung,chan ning tong and ark y. wong, along with many others. this is the first time this has ever been released to the public. the next vol. will be all of the internal formulas,some never before seen in the public.

Will a Chinese herbalist be able to fill pin yin recipes? I've only been able to have recipes with Chinese characters filled.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

yes, if they want to. alot of them pretend not to read pin yin, kinda funny. my herbalsit told me if the herbalist is legit they can fill it. if they say they cant read the pin yin, then you read it to them. 1 ingrediant at a time. they can fill it,if they want to. there are also numerous sites on the web.

Many older Chinese cannot read pinyin. They were never taught. My good friend, a Chinese Medical Doctor from Nanjing who is 50 years old cannot read pinyin.

I've also had herb shops hesitate at filling an external herb formula because of the fact that one of the herbs was poisonous if taken internally. He had to make sure I knew what I was doing before he gave it to me.

Many Laowai come to herb stores with absolutely no understanding of what they're looking for and it's use so many herb store owners are naturally cautious, worried about being sued.

you are probably right to a certain extent. this is why we wrote the book, to educate on the formulas and so the layperson can learn enough to go to the herbalist and show they know what they are getting.
    very few things are poisnous in jow formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    you are probably right to a certain extent. this is why we wrote the book, to educate on the formulas and so the layperson can learn enough to go to the herbalist and show they know what they are getting.
    very few things are poisnous in jow formulas.
    Just curious, where do these formulas come from, how many are there in the book, and how should we, the purchaser of the book, know what the quality of these formulas are?

50.00 plus shipping is not cheap.

I've seen many jow books before from the 80s, none of which were that great in content.

Thanks,

your reservations and concerns are legit.
    there are 60 plus formulas in the book. they all come from the schools they were originated in. they include the ku yu cheong,wong fei hung,ark y. wong,ho chun,fukien shaolin and many many more.
    this is the first time these formulas have been available to the public. now that being said, there will always be variations of formulas as some schools adjust the formulas according to their need and availability of herbs. i inclkuded one formula that is from fukien shaolin that has been,as far as we know,unchanged for hundreds of years. many formulas have to be changed.you do realize that the original ku yu cheong conatained bear paw? that will obviously not be included in the formula. we gave the formulas that can be filled legitamtely. all ineage based

If these are all Chinese formulas from Chinese martial arts, why did you change them from the Chinese to just pin yin. I could understand Chinese characters with pin yin next to them, but just pin yin? The average gwai lo slaughters the tones when reading pin yin beyond recognition. I guess it's probably pretty late to ask this question now that the book's already printed though. Oh well.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

well we thought about that. it would have just delayed us a little longer than i wanted to wait. besides,how many praqctitioners out there read chinese?we wrote the book for the average kung fu practitioner who wanted the formulas and wanted to learn them. it is not enough to just get the formula filled,you need to study the herbs. the herbs are listed in the materia medica in pin yin, not the chinese characters. this way you can get to know the formulas you use. you should have no trouble getting the formulas filled at any chinese herbalist.
    on another note,the formulas listed in this book are worth waaaaay,more than the cover price. one of those formulas, (the chan ning tong) sold to someone i know a few years ago for 200.00 alone. ho chun charges 350.00 for their formula and you dont get the formula,just a bag of herbs, another internet supplier would charge 300.00 fo the written ku yu cheong formula. if price is a concern and i realize times are rough, then this book probably isnt for you anyway. people who know these formulas for what they are know this is a very,fair price. there is not another book out there with this many of the most famous formulas,from as many different styles in kung fu.
    there are other books out there,most out of print,that ave good formulas in them,but not like this. james rhamholz book now sells for 200-250$ on amazon,if you can find it.

on another note,the formulas listed in this book are worth waaaaay,more than the cover price. one of those formulas, (the chan ning tong) sold to someone i know a few years ago for 200.00 alone. ho chun charges 350.00 for their formula and you dont get the formula,just a bag of herbs, another internet supplier would charge 300.00 fo the written ku yu cheong formula. if price is a concern and i realize times are rough, then this book probably isnt for you anyway. people who know these formulas for what they are know this is a very,fair price. there is not another book out there with this many of the most famous formulas,from as many different styles in kung fu.
    there are other books out there,most out of print,that ave good formulas in them,but not like this. james rhamholz book now sells for 200-250$ on amazon,if you can find it.
    Hey, we don't know you and should have every right to question the quality of the formulas in this book. You should not come off with a "price to high then the book is not for you" comment, makes you look kocky and pompous.

In addition, while these are "Jow" formulas, they are not Iron Palm formulas, correct? I've certainly heard of Iron palm formulas going for a high price but not "jow" formulas (just me, could be they're out there). But to put it into perspective, my Tai mantis teacher (who would not take money for his instruction) gave me a great jow formula (also would not take any money for it). Part of the reason for some high priced formulas is marketing and hype. Others are probably worth it. I hope yours are as you say.

I think it's great that someone has come forward with a book such as yours. If it's everything you say it is then it's worth the money.

Good luck with the book sales. Hope to hear a review soon.