Thread: Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena

Jackie Chan's Fearless Hyena

Anyone seen this movie? I absolutely LOVE it!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

A classic

It's on the top of my 'must see again' list for Jackie's work right now. I even cited it in my last publishers note, the one for the 2010 July/August issue. Po totally ripped that film off (not blind Po, panda Po)
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's on the top of my 'must see again' list for Jackie's work right now. I even cited it in my last publishers note, the one for the 2010 July/August issue. Po totally ripped that film off (not blind Po, panda Po)
    The scene with the broadsword was a brilliant piece of choreography. Especially when they are fighting with the school's teacher in the middle, and the sword kept chopping off pieces of the banana in his mouth...

"I am Willow Sword!"
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

This movie kicks butt. Part 2 isn't bad either, but doesn't come close to part 1. I have it on VHS and need to get it on DVD cause the VHS is degrading. Too many funny parts and awesome sequences. One of my favs is when the bad guy goes to grandpa's house and one of the first things he says to grandpa is, "You must be lonely, living here alone." or something to that effect, i gotta watch it again.

Fearless Hyena was the second Jackie Chan movie I saw, not long after the original release of The Big Brawl (Battle Creek Brawl) in 1980. I was totally blown away by the final fight against the three henchmen using the combination spears/horse cutters.

In some of Jackie's other Lo Wei-produced films, esp. (if I remember correctly) Snake and Crane Arts of Shaolin, he also had prolonged, complex fight scenes against multiple weapon-wielders, possibly with the same performers as in FH.

IMO, Jackie was at his physical/technical/directorial and comedic best in this film, even though in later films he had larger budgets and began doing the really hard-core stunt work. I like it even better than Drunken Master and The Young Master, etc. Also, I felt JC gave his most even directing job in FH, and I think it was his first time at the director's helm.

I think it was Dragon Lord where the emphasis shifted more towards the killer stunts.

Here's that scene!

A friend just passed the link to the Fearless Hyena food fight. Take that Po. No wires, no CGI, just pure Jackie.

Jackie was such a bad ass back then.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart