Thread: Chain punching to help your fighting

Chain punching to help your fighting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJRLK_4zy10

This video helps to explain how Wing Chun chain punching is actually done and the proper way to develop it. All to often, people try to use pure speed and muscle and just simply blitz the non-confrontational opponent. But realistically people do fight back. Attacking done right is not a numbers game where you throw 10 attacks and hope 2 to 3 will land. The right mentality for a Wing Chun fighter is not being wasteful like a solider with a gatling gun who simply has fire power but waste rounds of ammunition. Instead you are a sniper, where almost every attack is almost guaranteed to hit and where you don't fire to waste bullets. The first drill is called freeze frame drill, in this simple concept drill, one attacks the other blocks, but only after the hit, giving the blocker the development of seeing how to regain the line, and the attacker time to also figure out where the nearest line of attack is. Once the drill can be done properly you take it to the next level, once you attack, the blocker once again tries to block, but by the time he initiates the block, you takeover his motion and throw your next attack. You then continue this process over and over again. In the end, you want to develop the skill, were you throw out an attack and can just rain it upon your opponent, who will never have the ability to block your attack, since your always one step ahead of him. In the end, this is what chain punching is really like in Wing Chun and one of the ways to develop it. And a closer glimpse as to how to apply your sticky hand skills in real fighting situations

No! Your other hand!

couldn't resist.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Paul Vunak's big on the chain punching, though he calls it the straight blast.
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Punching someone with a chain works really well.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Why would you punch a chain?
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

NO hit me this way!

No, not that way...ok, stop the tape.

Look man I need you to attack me with your right hand with your left hand here and then I'm going to do this thing and then people will know what it's like to free style fight with it.

hahahaha.

chain punching only works if the guy doesn't side step. even then... I dunno. I personally don't think it's a solid tech. a jab or two to check the range and then drop a bomb is in my experience way more effective.

also using a chain to whip someone works good too.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

punching someone in the head a bunch of times is good in a fight! Really?

I would never have guessed
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    chain punching only works if the guy doesn't side step. even then... I dunno.
    you are supposed to use chain punching when you are in their horse.
    Too many people try to use it as an entering technique or from too outside, which is where it can be sidestepped, etc.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

You'd think after the first punch they'd move their head and/or body.

Whenever I hear "chain punch"... I think of video games. Combo!
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

c-c-c-combo-b-b-reaker!!

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

FINISH HIM!!!

Liu Kang...Winner.

Kung Fu is good for you.

ah the internet is so entertaining

chain punches or lian huan chui.

or interlinked punches exist in all styles.

generally, your next punch hurries the previous punch

when you practice, you do as many punches as you want

but in fight, 3 to 5 punches to the same spot is enough.

unless your punches carries on weight/power

in northern style, the punches are called cannons or pao.

chained up like a pearl string punches

huan zhu pao or lian huan pao

----

just like to point out WC did not own chain punches, every other style has them, too.

this applies to elbows, knees, kicks on and on.

---

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    chain punches or lian huan chui.

or interlinked punches exist in all styles.

generally, your next punch hurries the previous punch

when you practice, you do as many punches as you want

but in fight, 3 to 5 punches to the same spot is enough.

unless your punches carries on weight/power

in northern style, the punches are called cannons or pao.

chained up like a pearl string punches

huan zhu pao or lian huan pao

----

just like to point out WC did not own chain punches, every other style has them, too.

this applies to elbows, knees, kicks on and on.

---
    This is true we have our own idea of chain punching in Hak Fu. I don't know... it seems like too much wasted movement in the way he's trying to block the strikes. I don't understand standing there and chasing hands... we work several techniques against this type of attack.. one is to just attack the strikes with your own... kinda of a test of wills.
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    NO hit me this way!

No, not that way...ok, stop the tape.

Look man I need you to attack me with your right hand with your left hand here and then I'm going to do this thing and then people will know what it's like to free style fight with it.

hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    chain punching only works if the guy doesn't side step. even then...
    In Wing Chun you are not supposed to chase anybody with your chain punches, despite popular belief.

A good option is to firstly hit them hard so that they feel it down to their boots. Then (If they are still standing) you immediately follow up with chain punching, with the necessary footwork, ie. forward motion and invading their space as you overwhelm them with the barrage of chain punches.

AND, using a chain punch attack from an angle (a common WC strategy), makes it more difficult for your opponent to "run away", or to "side step".

Also, for those "Wing Chuners" who believe chain punching to be WC's "super weapon", then you are wrong. Chain-punching is just an option within Wing Chun's arsenal. That is all.

Authentic Wing Chun is blessed with a rich arsenal of techniques that include many punching, open hand,elbow, kicks, knees, chin--na and take downs.

It is also worth mentioning that other kung fu styles have potent defenses against the chain punch, and I am not talking about "side stepping" either.

I dunno.
    It seems so........

I personally don't think it's a solid tech.
    It is a solid tech, if practiced properly together with IP training, which will include the proper breathing methodology, so as to keep the power "constant", rather than diminishing.

a jab or two to check the range and then drop a bomb is in my experience way more effective.
    It seems that your "experience", and therefore perspective, is more in tune with boxing or kickboxing methodologies, rather than the TCMAs.

Why am I not surprised?

also using a chain to whip someone works good too.
    Yes, that is it, use a chain........
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 07-16-2010 at 12:40 AM.