Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Sun

I am very sorry. I was not trying to put James Sun down in any way. I was hoping to get some answers, not start a fight.

If you want me to ask him I will. He is a very cool person and i would not be afraid to ask.

By the way how do you guys post pictures. i have a jpg pic on a web page and i am trying to post it.

6hmantis Guest
    Mantis don't back down. Stick to your guns. What you say is very true. James Sun is in it for the money. When you take a man who comes from a third world country, make him a martial artest then BOOM, I smell money. He can say what he wants and people wiil beleave because of were he came from. Same thing happened in NY city with a man named Kau yau chong. He claims to be a temple deciple, but never ever trained in the temple? Same as Sun, Some showed him how to make money in the good old USofA and we all fell for it.

8StepStudent Guest
    Like Tamaoke says... You guys obliviously have no clue what you're talking about. Why don't you go talk to him first? I bet you haven't even met him... If such bashing goes on from people like word,6hmantis... I'll ban you people, because all you try and do it start fights, and that's not what this forum is for!

6hmantis Guest
    Ban us for the truth? Sounds like the US government. All my claims can be backed up, if you are willing to open your eyes.

6hmantis
    And I'll bet your Sifu is also in it for the money. Who isn't? If I had a complete system that I wanted to keep alive I shure wouldnt give it out for free. I'm guessing you would and you probably work for free. By the way Shyuns family was already wealthy before he came here. But i amsure you already knew that since you know it all. huh...

molum_jr Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tamoke:
    6hmantis
    And I'll bet your Sifu is also in it for the money. Who isn't? If I had a complete system that I wanted to keep alive I shure wouldnt give it out for free. I'm guessing you would and you probably work for free. By the way Shyuns family was already wealthy before he came here. But i amsure you already knew that since you know it all. huh...
    [/quote]

I don't know about the Shyun family wealth, but each Sun (Shyun) member has to make it on their own. When I started James Sun in the early days, you could hardly say he was weathly. His wife and little kids would drop by the class after doing the laundry - They seemed more middle class to me. For a short time, he was even working in chinese martial arts movies. His brother came by to visit from Taiwan, and at that time he was a government official. The Sun family is connected to Sun, Yat-Sen.

In the "old days", training was one on one with Sifu, and we had more of an opportunity to talk and learn from Sifu Sun individually. There was definitely not a money being made by him. He was often late from working his daytime job. Sometime, classes were cancelled without notice because he could not make it into the City in time. The first generation was students were mainly teens and they were not serious. They were spoiled and preferred to watch the big RCA color tv in the meeting room. The so-called sifu program was in its initial phase. Everyone started to receive xerox copies of training levels.

James Sun IS a younger disciple compared with his sihings (They are a lot older in age [and a few are in the bayarea] and the word around Chinatown w/some of his sihings is that they remember him as a young upstart kid) While they may not remember/recognize if he is the inheritor of Wei, Tsao-Tang's original 8 Steps PM, they do recall him as THE disciple that was specifically training to take on challenges for his sifu and his school. Wei, Tsao-Tang eventually would take him to other schools to visit and to have him cross hands with their students. Sifu Sun told me that he made it a point to visit all the local schools for a visit (as tradition courtesy and because he was opening up his school), and asked to have friendly cross hands with the schools's instructors. That included even Hsu Chi, his classmate. Sifu Sun said, "No one ever took him up on his offer."

Why do you think, he created the Shyun 8 Step PM system? It was to deter criticism by his classmates, other MA who have seen the original 8 Steps, and the protect HIS system. James Sun may have been brash in his youth BUT he was always respectful of traditions and to his teacher. To say he knows a complete system is unlikely BUT he knows more than any other fellow classmates taught by the Grandmaster. His Tai Chi class was accelerated. Students would start pushing hands within three to six months - he knew a lot and at one time a famous Tai Chi practitioner from the Cheng, Man-Ching lineage visit to show off their skills. We were amazed at some of these people, but he would laugh and show his similar skills. Wow...you must be a Master of Tai Chi, we exclaimed. He demeanor turned serious and he would admonish us for that statement. He knew a lot, but was not master of that art because of he was not authorized/classified by his tai chi instructor. It was also the proper path to follow since Wei, Tsao-Tang was his teacher/master.

He made it a point to tell me long ago, that only he knew the all of the inheritor's five secret sets from Wei, Hsao-Tang. Some may know one or two, but no one actively teaching at that time period.

May be someone is ****ed about the sifu program (drop outs?!) How does the system deal with that? Are the dropouts absorbed back into the laymens'program. Are the traditional 8 steps peers outraged over the sifu programs? (How can someone buy a sifu certification?) Well... That is probably why James Sun developed the Shyun System out of respect for his teacher, classmates, and other MA who have seen the original 8 steps PM.

The Shyun System is a modification of original 8 steps meant for the US market. Sort of like market segmentation. He has added many items to his Shyun system and not to the original system out of respect to his teacher. The problem is that no one is sure what belongs to each system. When I inquired about what is "Pure 8 Steps", a respond was to move along if I could not stay on the thread's topic. Well... if I have this question, then you know others also would like to know.

The above is my opinion and info when I learnt ba bo tang long in the "old days" and the "old ways" from Sifu Sun, before the Shyun system. Good luck in your sifu program.

[This message has been edited by molum_jr (edited 08-30-2000).]

You may be true, but from what the schools history has taught me "They were a successful family, with a good deal of money and number of other resources that they could call upon". But i guess he didnt get any of that wealth.

molum_jr: You seem to know a few details that only someone from the 'early days' would know, such as that his brother trained in White Crane,etc(& there are hardly any original students left). For my information please, what 'district' in S.F. was the original training place(on 2nd floor-back in 1985) in the Chinese Community Center in? If you would answer this, I would like to correspond with you by private email.
    Actually after looking more closly at your post, I can see that you might not have been at the original place, but at one of the storefront schools opened up a couple years later, but i would still be interested in corresponding with you.
    A point of information: Master Su Yu Chang was Wei Hsiao Tang's long time student and was being groomed to inherit the system, but wanted to learn other systems, so went & studied with other people without Master Wei's permission(& behind his back), thereby causing himself to be 'disinherited' so to speak, Master Wei wanted someone who was completely dedicated to him & chose his youngest student Kwong Lung Shyun who had trained for 12 years with him in Master Wei's home. He personaly oversaw his training even to the point of acompanying & counseling him at some of the all Taiwan full contact tournaments in which Master Shyun placed first for a number of years. Having taken the young Shyun into his home in order to save him from a life threatining illness, was the first step in a relationship of trust which lasted til Master Wei's death, and upon that trust he formally passed the system to him.
    When Master Su had his school in New York, he would teach some of the 8step forms, but upon talking with him & later several of his students, I was informed that they did not do any of the 8step two man drills & applications,etc, that we had learned from Master Shyun, & that he does not teach it in depth. As for the relationship between Master Shyun & Master Su, having met Master Su at a seminar in L.A that Master Shyun took me to as his assistant, from what I saw it was good. At that time, Master Su spoke only Chinese & Spanish, My Sifu introduced me to him & as I speak Spanish, we were able to hold a conversation. Years later in New York, he remembered me & spoke affectionately of Master Shyun as the 'young one' of the family, & invited me to train with them. This is my personal experience with these Masters, Its possible someone else has had a different experience than mine, I wonder from whom these people have gotten their information, personal, hearsay or otherwise?
    Having also met Master Adam Hsu several times in the presence of Master Shyun, I never saw anything but cordiality. Also Adam Hsu only teaches the first 5 forms of 8step.
    Also as we are in the United States, where guilt has to be proven, not innocence,
    would anyone care to produce documentation of some of these negative claims? There seems to be enough documentation on the positive side around, but I'm open to seeing other peoples proof.
    Tamoke, do you know molum_jr?

8stepsifu Guest
    Molemjr. If you fail your testing in the Sifu Program you simply retry. You can join the public program too, if the Sifu program is too hard. The Sifu program is very time intensive and draining and is simply too much for most people to handle. No one in the public program is mad at Sifu students. They work together and help one another. As for buying certificates...If I were even to suggest that to my sifu in a serious manner during my training, he would have had me doing an hour of push ups. I don't know if you came in contact with a crooked sifu, but in my experience being a sifu is not taken lightly. You can't buy a teaching certificate, because there are a committe of sifus from accross the country that test you. You get a teaching certificate that looks different from the sash testing and the Sifus have 5 gold mantises on their belt. If they have one mantis, they are a beginner and not qualified to teach unless it is under their Sifu.
    I have a question for Mantis....how old is Master Sun? Give something to support these claims. Give some proof other than, "Word on the street is..." E-Mail me your conspiracy theory at utuse@hotmail.com

btw 6Hmantis why should I trust anything you say when you obviously are more than one person on this post. Why dont I become "Pikachu the new member" to support my own claims?

molum_jr Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1path:
    [B For my information please, what 'district' in S.F. was the original training place(on 2nd floor-back in 1985) in the Chinese Community Center in? Tamoke, do you know molum_jr?
    [/B][/quote]

Classes were on the THIRD floor. Remember the gift shop on the ground level, the dark second floor after the first flight, and then the third floor. The custodian door was facing the glass door. I used to **** in the buckets because no one was there to open the doors for class. As you walked in the, secretary office w/xerox machine. Further in, to the left of the hallway, were the showers - a place ahead of its time [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] The mats were hard japanese style and we broke the bannisters of the ballet class when we were doing leg stretches. We also broke a number of windows. The N Judah muni cars ran near by.

Not more much that I can say, except I do remember a young hispanic gentleman who was one of the first to enter the sifu program. Sifu got mad one day, when he ate peanuts prior to drinking that special powder mix of herbs and powdered milk. The young man was a former student of YC Wong...
    Memory getting fuzzy, but if ba bo never expanded then we would have never had this round table forum. As for email - I do not participate that way (pet peeve concerning open forums). Plus I've been raked over the coals for speaking my mind on other individuals in the bayarea. So many people want to kick ass over speech...Sad. There is not much too more that I can say. It would be interesting to see if Sifu and the program becomes as large and influential as Chan Poi's Wah Lum Temple in Florida twenty years from now. By the way, do you know that Chan Poi started out here in SF in the early sixties?

Yes, it is interesting to note why all this noise after all these years w/ James Sun. In the old days, he checked in Wei, Hsao-Tang's village in China for any clues, MA relatives, or even Ba Bo MA - He didn't find anyone at that time. He really was concerned about preserving the art.

[This message has been edited by molum_jr (edited 08-31-2000).]

Pikachu Guest
    Pika pika pi pikachuuu!

translated..."Right on 8Stepsifu!"

cha kuen Guest
    molum is a pretty funny guy. I remember the post where he said something to the sort " They didn't believe William Fong to be a student of chui chuk kai. He looked like a **** ( even my HK standards)

Molum,

How long did you train with William Fong for? If you don't mind me asking.

cha kuen Guest
    Molum,

Sorry to bother again. I heard that George Long learned some white crane for three months. After that he opened up a school in chinatown , SF. All the sifus in town knew he was a joke. George Long's students would often get together with Wong Jack Man's students to sparr after class. Did you hear about this too?