Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Push Hands Championship

Extreme Push Hands Championship

First ever Extreme Push Hands event held this past Sat. in St Petersberg, Fla. Similar to Moving Push Hands, but allowing sweeps and throws. This event was sponsored by ICMAC Circuit and was the first of its kind in the US. Although action was hot and heavy, injuries were minimal. The event was called Extreme Push Hands, not Extreme Tai Chi Push Hands for good reasons and was very similar to Chen Village Push Hand competitions. Competitors came from as far away as New York and St. Louis. The competition was round robin, not single elimination, so every competitor got the opportunity to compete with every competitor. John Meehan (22) won the event which included Heavyweight and SuperHeavyweight (over 300 lbs.). He won every match and then went on to accept challanges from other push hand light heavyweight competitors including past champions. John Meehan is the son of Sifu J. Justin Meehan of St. Louis and brother of ICMAC past Orlando Push Hands Champion(2008 and 2009) Jason Meehan (18). He is a Law Student at Drake University and practices the HunYuan Taiji/Qigong. Depending on his law school schedule he hopes to compete at other National ICMAC Extreme Push Hand events in the upcomming year.

Quote Originally Posted by jjustinmeehan View Post
    First ever Extreme Push Hands event held this past Sat. in St Petersberg, Fla. Similar to Moving Push Hands, but allowing sweeps and throws. This event was sponsored by ICMAC Circuit and was the first of its kind in the US. Although action was hot and heavy, injuries were minimal. The event was called Extreme Push Hands, not Extreme Tai Chi Push Hands for good reasons and was very similar to Chen Village Push Hand competitions. Competitors came from as far away as New York and St. Louis. The competition was round robin, not single elimination, so every competitor got the opportunity to compete with every competitor. John Meehan (22) won the event which included Heavyweight and SuperHeavyweight (over 300 lbs.). He won every match and then went on to accept challanges from other push hand light heavyweight competitors including past champions. John Meehan is the son of Sifu J. Justin Meehan of St. Louis and brother of ICMAC past Orlando Push Hands Champion(2008 and 2009) Jason Meehan (18). He is a Law Student at Drake University and practices the HunYuan Taiji/Qigong. Depending on his law school schedule he hopes to compete at other National ICMAC Extreme Push Hand events in the upcomming year.
    It's good the EPH got some action because the rest of the event (with the exception of some of the Xingyi) totally sucked. We left early (at the lunch break) out of sheer boredom. It gives the feeling that Chinese Martial arts are on the decline.

Video or it didn't happen.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    they have a tournament for this? lolz
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by MartialDev View Post
    Video or it didn't happen.
    I second this!

I've never heard of Extreme Push Hands. Off to Google it (I'm going to be ****ed if its anything like Extreme forms competitions)

Extreme Push Hand video on Youtube

Extreme Push Hands Highlight Video:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76sVEStkFo
    First National Extreme Push Hands Competition held July 2010 winner, law student and HunYuan Taiji practitioner John Meehan, 22 year old son of Sifu Justin Meehan. Notice that the competition was called Extreme Push Hands, not Taiji Push Hands. The competition was very physical, but no more than what is seen in Push Hands competitions in Chen Village, China or many other Chinese and Taiwanese Push Hands tournaments.

Nice work.
    So extreme push hands is a nice name for Sumo for non-fat people

Very good stuff.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

extreme push hands = Shuai Jiao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lk1mzN8fJA

...without the vest/hand-holds
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

How do people fall for this rubbish........it was like some one looked at a Sumo match and thought, hey that looks fun how can I f*ck that up and make it really impractical and useless

Sumo is so practical and useful?
    Chen Zhaokui Taijiquan Association North America
    http://www.taijigongfu.com

Quote Originally Posted by jjustinmeehan View Post
    Extreme Push Hands Highlight Video:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=U76sVEStkFo
    First National Extreme Push Hands Competition held July 2010 winner, law student and HunYuan Taiji practitioner John Meehan, 22 year old son of Sifu Justin Meehan. Notice that the competition was called Extreme Push Hands, not Taiji Push Hands. The competition was very physical, but no more than what is seen in Push Hands competitions in Chen Village, China or many other Chinese and Taiwanese Push Hands tournaments.
    nice; but not any different from what my friend Sifu Mike Pekor has been doing at his school on LI for years:
    http://www.taichili.com/training_for...t_competit.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Ling View Post
    LOL, have u ever watched any? those guys beat the crap out of each other, they move fast, they are alowed to strike w/open hands, and they actualy do pull off some excellent technique; a sumo guy would be a challenge for just about anyone, IMPO

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    very nice reversal technique!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    extreme push hands = Shuai Jiao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lk1mzN8fJA

...without the vest/hand-holds
    Just realize the referee in the above SC clip was one of my students. My teacher used to call him 小白人(Xiao Bai Ren) - little white man.

I'm glad to see that Taiji is moving toward the right direction. Since SC has envolved into CC (Combat SC - Sanda/Sanshou),

http://johnswang.com/Sanshou_6.wmv

for push hands to be evolved into extreme push hands may not be enough. Taiji still needs further evolution.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 08-20-2010 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Ling View Post
    Having a 400 lbs sumotori smash his palm into you and send you flying into next week is very practical
    They can also pull of some very nice throws and sweeps.
    They learn how to use their weight to their best advantage.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

- 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE