Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Extreme Push Hands Championship

Quote Originally Posted by woliveri View Post

Just to illustrate my point. Try to see Master Chan with his size and frame in one of these competitions (if he was a competitor). Just wouldn't work.
    Then, more than likely, he would have had his ass handed to him in a for real encounter also.

Traditional Martial Arts trained gongs as did MC and as does our Bagua and many others. Strike fast and sure and don't play around with wrestling or grappling if at all possible. While Shuai Jiao has merit and application it's just not for some people.
    Most physical confrontations will have some kind of grappling... especially if one of the opponents decides to grapple.

Greetings..

It was not so much about fighting or proving I could fight but the
    beauty of the art and the science of the "gong", at least for me. TCMA has such
    incredible theories and "gongs" it seems such a waste to let it go.
    Hi Bill: I don't separate the practicality from the Art, i experience the Unity between the Art and the Martial.. yes, i finally made it back to the '60s', and i plan on going as long as i can.. by the way, thanks for asking about the back issues, there's still some 'inconsistencies' that need resolving from the surgery, but.. things are looking hopeful..

I don't plan on getting into the cage anytime soon, but i do like to test my self, my Art.. it is disingenuous to discuss, "Taijiquan' and not include its effectiveness as a Martial Art.. VD's 'awsome' clip is very nice, sophisticated, and very well executed, but.. it's another step in a very neat progression.. i look for the Art in Life, however it presents itself.. and, i do favor the old training ways, it tends to reveal the Art in places most people don't even look.. i wonder how many classes today begin with a 2 mile run followed by 15-30 minutes in a horse stance with a staff on your thighs?.. okay, now we start class, LOL..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Then, more than likely, he would have had his ass handed to him in a for real encounter also.
    Yes, if he decided to grapple.

MC has more up his sleeve than most ppl know.

Blog Entries
    "Taiji is about self cultivation".
    As much as I like to help to protect the honor of the CMA, sometime I just find out that I have to agree with our MMA guy on this forum instead of to agree with our CMA guys. Nothing will bother me more than to see Taiji become an art of "health", "performance", and "spiritual development"'. With the attitude of "self cultivation", Taiji will have no hope but will be laughted by MMA guys from generation to generation ...

It's sad that I have to align with intruder to beat up my own brother, very sad indeed.

While Shuai Jiao has merit and application it's just not for some people.
    SC is not designed for "self cultivation" and that's for sure.

Yes, if he decided to grapple.
    I'm sorry to say that sometime the choice will not be up to him.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 09-28-2010 at 09:38 PM.

Greetings..

Originally Posted by woliveri
    "Taiji is about self cultivation".
    Do you suppose that 'self-cultivation' excludes cultivating self-defense? Some of my more spiritual moments were in intense training or finding that 'something extra' in a match that made the difference.. in pushing myself to 'go there'..

Be well..

I don't know guys... Let me ask this

Are there weight classes in these competitions? Are there gender classifications?

Can a 114 pound 50 year old woman whip a 250 pound 22 year old man in Extreme Push Hands?

If she could then that would inspire me to know more. Right now it looks like glorified wrestling (IMO).

People who inspire me are people like Ma Yueh Liang, Share K. Lew, That chen style chick you met Bob (Cui IIRC) .. pssst.. you forgot to send me those links.

I'm still not getting it.

I don't know guys... Let me ask this

Are there weight classes in these competitions? Are there gender classifications?

Can a 114 pound 50 year old woman whip a 250 pound 22 year old man in Extreme Push Hands?

If she could then that would inspire me to know more. Right now it looks like glorified wrestling (IMO).

People who inspire me are people like Ma Yueh Liang, Share K. Lew, That chen style chick you met Bob (Cui IIRC) .. pssst.. you forgot to send me those links.

I'm still not getting it.
    LOL @ glorified wrestling.

I see you are only inspired by the fake, theoretical, non-fighting stuff.

Because, the fact of the matter is, when it comes to any kind of physical unarmed combat, the bigger, stronger person will always have the advantage if skill is equal.

BTW, wrestling takes far more skill than any type martial art that mainly performs forms and two man drills.

I see you are only inspired by the fake, theoretical, non-fighting stuff.
    Wow... SKL and MYL are/were fake... LOL...

You see what I mean Bob?

Greetings..

You see what I mean Bob?
    Hi Bill, and Knifefighter.. i think the differences are seeking to define themselves in opposition.. it is my hope that we might look for what is useful and favorable between the different perspectives, rather than find fault or conflict..

Be well..

Wow... SKL and MYL are/were fake... LOL...

You see what I mean Bob?
    Pretty much, yep.

Put them against someone (even at their own weight) who had training and experience with actual full-contact fighting and they would get smoked.

Pretty much, yep.

Put them against someone (even at their own weight) who had training and experience with actual full-contact fighting and they would get smoked.
    Well we are going to have to agree that we disagree. I don't care for your path, you don't care for mine. So be it.

Good training to you.

Later

Greetings..

Well... that went well.. not so much really.. anyway, i'm not interested in speculating 'what ifs'.. i train to improve my experiences of, and chances at Life, ALL of it..

Be well..

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

Well... that went well.. not so much really..

Be well..
    Well, what'd you expect when someone says SKL is fake? You yourself was knocked on your @ss by him as you have told me.

At that point the conversation ends.

Blog Entries
    glorified wrestling...
    You only need 1 contact point to push. You will need 2 or 3 contact points to throw. It's easier to push somone back, but much harder to throw someone down without the knowledge of knowing how to use your leg.

To have the skill to perform the following leg function can hardly be called "glorified wrestling".

踢 Forward kick (TI),
    撮 Scooping kick (CUO),
    粘 Sticking kick (ZHAN),
    彈 Spring (TAN),
    挑 Hooking kick (TIAO),
    纏 Foot entangling (CHAN),
    合 Inner hook (HE),
    撿 Foot picking (JIAN),
    沖 Inner kick(CHONG),
    掛 Inner heel sweep (GUA),
    刀 Inner sickle (DAO)
    蹩 Break (BIE),
    撩 Back kick (LIAO),
    切 Front cut(QIE),
    削 Sickle hooking (XIAO)
    勾 Back sickle (GOU),
    裏 Back inner hook (LI),
    擓 Leg bending lift (KUAI)

Well, what'd you expect when someone says SKL is fake? You yourself was knocked on your @ss by him as you have told me.

At that point the conversation ends.
    Well make up your mind... either he lands people on their ass for real (which would mean he would be doing what you saw in those clips and he would do quite well in a grappling situation) or he didn't do it for real (in which case he wouldn't be training like you saw and wouldn't do so well in a grappling situation)... that is unless you are saying he had a full-contact striking match with Tai Chi Bob.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 09-29-2010 at 11:42 AM.