Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing Chun Full contact on cable TV ??

Wing Chun Full contact on cable TV ??

A movie producer friend of mine wants to do a cable TV show where different TMA styles fight other martial artists. He initially wanted to have people of the same art but from different schools compete. He wanted to start with a segment where WC schools fought against each other. I told him that WC has enough infighting so I wouldn't support that. I did however say that maybe we could get a team of WC people from different lineages to form a "Team Wing Chun" to fight against another TMA team. I haven't approached anyone yet but I will contact Sifu Jay Hitchman from Moy Yat lineage to see if he's willing to enter some of his students like he did in the manupstandup matches. I do believe that any amatuer should be able to compete, even MMA people. But for some reason he wants TMA only because TMA has a rep for not fighting. The matches may have to take place in NJ but I'll have more details later. Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just passing on an idea. I'd appreciate any input from you guys on how this can or cannot work. Thanks in advance.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

My friends from other martial arts disciplines including MMA told me not to expect many offers from WC people to fight. I said that it's too early to say that since I just made the post. I hope they are wrong.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

It would also be nice to see an over 50 Sifu full contact match. I would be into that for sure. I wouldn't want to do a 3 min 5 round match against a younger guy since I know I'd get gassed. But I can see doing a full contact match with someone in my age group for maybe two 2 min rounds. Sensei Jonas Nunez who I fought some years ago is advocating over 50 instructors doing full contact. It would be very interesting to see if what we "mature" Sifus teach can work. If anyone over 50 is interested please shoot me a PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Well, I'm a Tai Chi practitioner, but I'd love to fight some more full-contact matches (Team Tai Chi vs Team Wing Chun?). Unfortunately I'm in California, nowhere near Jersey...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Quote Originally Posted by cerebus View Post
    Well, I'm a Tai Chi practitioner, but I'd love to fight some more full-contact matches (Team Tai Chi vs Team Wing Chun?). Unfortunately I'm in California, nowhere near Jersey...
    Thanks for being the first person to chime in. I adamantly believe TMA can compete full contact if trained right. After all, MMA has it's roots in TMA regardless off what people think.
    Maybe this can become an international event. But I still don't think there will be any creditability until some invincible, incredible, undeafeatable, MMA guy gets involved.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post

I still don't think there will be any creditability until some invincible, incredible, undeafeatable, MMA guy gets involved.
    Well, depending upon the rules, sanctioning (ie how LEGAL) etc I am sure I have a bunch of students who would want to fight.....

My concern is primarily that the event is LEGAL and sanctioned with insurance
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Well, depending upon the rules, sanctioning (ie how LEGAL) etc I am sure I have a bunch of students who would want to fight.....

My concern is primarily that the event is LEGAL and sanctioned with insurance
    I definitively agree with you since you have more experience with full contact rules. Please let me me know what my friend needs to do to make such an event happen. His initial event was supposed to be WC v CLF. But he was basing this rivalry according to things he'd seen on websites. I do have NJ connections for full contact bouts
    Last edited by Phil Redmond; 05-31-2010 at 07:40 PM.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hey Phil,

If you pay my way up I would be interested in participating. Perhaps even get a little of the Army vs Marine rivalry

Although, at present my training is focused on other than wing chun, I might still remember enough wc to make a good showing. At least I can fall down well

Seriously, hit me up offline and give me more details. Perhaps I could arrange a visit when I bring the girls up to visit their mom.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

The problem I see with these sort of events is that by the time legal sanctioning, insurance, and whatever gets done with it, you have another MMA situation. Most of your fighting skills are going to neutralized by gloves and rules out the a$$. None of this and none of that, can't do this and can't do that. If you want to see good fighting between the traditional martial arts you will have to have a no holds barred fight. The only rule being that you can not deliberately kill an apponent. Otherwise, it is going to end up just like they all do, being a MMA situation.

I also believe that guys like me who are among the pioneers of WC figthers in the East Coast should be able to demonstrate what we teach in a full contact match with Sifus in our own group. I know I can at least do a 2 or 3 round round match against someone in my age group. Any takers?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    The problem I see with these sort of events is that by the time legal sanctioning, insurance, and whatever gets done with it, you have another MMA situation. Most of your fighting skills are going to neutralized by gloves and rules out the a$$. None of this and none of that, can't do this and can't do that. If you want to see good fighting between the traditional martial arts you will have to have a no holds barred fight. The only rule being that you can not deliberately kill an apponent. Otherwise, it is going to end up just like they all do, being a MMA situation.
    You hit the nail right on the head. I just received a PM from someone in NY who is familiar with full contact rules. Here's what he wrote me: "Better to do a sanshou/san da like format, no ground, and you can legally do it in NY without even the commission getting involved"
    I'm going to suggest this to the promoter.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

If time, money, and other resources were paid---I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's hard to find good, consistent sparring partners here so any chance I get to find one that's also into TMA's I jump on them (not literally).

But really...what's the big deal about rules and gloves? Anyone that says that they can't use wing chun because of 4oz gloves or rules probably can't do wing chun anyway.

You can still punch, use any of the arm movements, kick straight, use all of your footwork...so what's the problem? Sounds like excuses to me.
    "I don't know if anyone is known with the art of "sitting on your couch" here, but in my eyes it is also to be a martial art.

It is the art of avoiding dangerous situations. It helps you to avoid a dangerous situation by not actually being there. So lets say there is a dangerous situation going on somewhere other than your couch. You are safely seated on your couch so you have in a nutshell "difused" the situation."

I will always say that those of us who advocate fighting should at least be able to fight against our peers. I'm ready to spar/fight against WC people of my age group. I should set a example for my students. There are too many theoretical Sifus out there. Any takers in the NY area?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Vankuen View Post
    If time, money, and other resources were paid---I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's hard to find good, consistent sparring partners here so any chance I get to find one that's also into TMA's I jump on them (not literally).

But really...what's the big deal about rules and gloves? Anyone that says that they can't use wing chun because of 4oz gloves or rules probably can't do wing chun anyway.

You can still punch, use any of the arm movements, kick straight, use all of your footwork...so what's the problem? Sounds like excuses to me.
    Thumbs up.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Redmond View Post
    I know I can at least do a 2 or 3 round round match against someone in my age group. Any takers?
    Don't know what your age is or if you ever get out to Oakland, California, but I'll be 40 in July and weigh around 170/ 175. If you ever get out this way, let me know. I'd be happy to fight a friendly but competitive match with you...

We can bill it as Tai Chi vs Wing Chun and sell copies of the vid...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust