Thread: why have'nt you quit?

EARTH DRAGON Guest

why have'nt you quit?

just curious as to the reasons why people have not quit their school or stopped taking martial arts. As a school owner I have had many people give me reasons why they HAVE quit, mostly financial resons, schedual conflict and so on, but I am interested in finding out why people don't, I think this will help me as people on this board will give their unbiased opinon, something that they can't answer if they were my students. And help me better my undrstanding of retention. Thank you for your help.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

nobody Guest

its fun...

it gives me something to do...something worthwhile anyway. besides i wouldnt quite untill i was at least proficiant with the system, that way i can pick it back up, later ;)

Kiasyd Guest
    Basically, I don't quit simply because I love training at my kwoon. The financial issue is critical to me, I mean, It's hard to pay, but I simply cannot quit since I really identify myself with the art I'm practicing, and my sifu and sihings really inspire me to continue.

On another hand, I've seen another thread on the Kung Fu board related to good kwoons that turned out to be "McKwoon", or "McDojo". In this case, I probably wouldn't be as confortable there as I am now, so I would quit... Or look somewhere else :)

-- Kiasyd

NorthernMantis Guest
    I know I might get flamed for this but personally I think kung fu was a gift to me sent by God.I was going through the hardest period of my life and my prayers for a way out were answered.

I have been in kung fu so long and have I have put so much time in it that if I were to stop now I would have wasted my time.I'm going a little over four years now and I hvae seen how much I progressed.I always push myself trying to get better.I look at myself and I look at other people.I kknow where I'll be in 10 years and were they'll be plus the health benefits that come along in training in kung fu.

Oh yeah look at the people in China and it makes me push my self harder also.

I have also seen people come and go.It's life.Some will stay others will leave.

"Always be ready"

djphrenzy Guest

I have an opinion...

I think it has alot to do with the persons background experience and exposure. I'm really no expert in the subject, but I imagine a lot of it amounts to personal expectations. Most people that quit probably had expectations that were too high, or didn't understand what's involved.

I can't speak for every student, but what motivates me the most is the history involved. I've been fascinated by Chinese tradition and culture for some time. Most of you will probably laugh, but here's how I came to become interested:

Around 1995-96 when I was about 16 a friend introduced me to the hip-hop group The Wu Tang Clan. Their current album at the time, "36 Chambers" (released in 93), was all we listened to for several months. Most of the songs on the album sampled old chinese kung fu movies, and used chinese instuments and eclectic beats. With songs like "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'", "Liquid Swords" and "Method Man" and just became really interested.

That interest stuck with me, and about 2 years ago I was at the mall in a video store, and I saw the movie "Long Step Mantis." I bought it and the rest is history.

You have to convey to your students the fact that they are priveledged to learn what you're teaching them, and that they are very lucky that these arts have survived. Hope this helps.

Later- :D

Steve "Phrenzy"
    Kali/Pentjak Silat
    http://www.djphrenzy.com

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    thanx guys for your responses, look forward to more

Budokan Guest
    Americans often want the easy way out. They want to be able to buy their rank and their skill rather than work for it; it's a reflection of our rapacious user society.

When they come into a school that won't allow them to do that, and they realize how much hard work a good MA has to put in everyday just to improve incrementally, they fold up like a wet piece of cardboard and quit. They're also often quite shocked as to how much physical pain they must endure. Perhaps intellectually they knew MA was hard, but they never realized how hard...

I always say good riddance to 'em. There is a core group who have been coming to my school ever since I've been there. Having said that, we ALWAYS give positive advice and encouragement to the newbies. But it's a fact of life: Most people just don't want to put in the hard work it takes to attain anything--much less martial arts.

I have always said that everyone should be encouraged to take martial arts, but martial arts isn't for everybody. As so many come to realize after a few classes...

My two yen. :)

K. Mark Hoover

Robinf Guest
    There were many times when I thought of quitting, because I was getting lazy or I was having trouble with something in class and was getting embarrassed about it. But, then I would drag my but to class and totally forget ever wanting to quit--especially when I finally asked for extra help with things I wasn't getting and got a very helpful response.

I stay because I love it, I love my school.

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Nutt'nhunny Guest
    I'm sick of hearing that Americans want the easy way out. We work **** hard too hard. And what do we have to show for it? Only some measly world domination. Chinese are lazy, only working as hard as they need to.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    I expected that from you, honeysmacks the troll.

I don't quit because I want to STAY.

I want to become a great kung fu fighter, work on my personal life practice, and eventually open a school one day.

With those goals, why would I want to quit???

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    thanks for all your responses, I guess I find it hard to beleive anyone would not want to pursue such an amazing lifestlye as the martial arts, I feel in love with it at age 14 and now own my own school. I understand that not everyone feels the same way but, not having enough time? come on make time, not enough money? but yet they have on $120 sneakers. I guess that most people use excuses when I ask them where they have been so I just wanted some feedback from real people.

Robinf Guest
    Yeah, those are the most common excuses for quitting: not having the money and not having time. It's actually for different reasons--loss of interest, laziness, shift of focus in their life (one guy had spent about 10 years in kung fu and then quit once he and his wife had a baby).

It's sad to see people go, but it's a fact of life.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

xygie Guest

Hey EARTHGOONINDRAG...

The answer to your topic question is simple. They haven't quit because you are not their teacher.

EARTH DRAGON Guest

xygie george

at least I have a school! what happened to yours? LOL you rent a corner of a gym cause you couldnt pay your rent and you were kicked out of the system cause of the way you act! now all you have is a crappie web site that doesnt even say what kind of mantis you tewach! HA HA Hey your ex student mike cimeno says hi