Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eight Step Sifu Program

8stepsifu Guest
    how is it strange? You can learn to play the piano well enough to teach it, but your no mozart.

You can learn high school physics, but you no Einstein.

When your a Sifu, your training is just begining. Thats learning the basic martial arts that are the foundation.

Especially with eight step, there is lots and lots of information there. Sifu IS a level. There are levels after that. I don't know how other places work, but being a Sifu means that you have met the mental and physical requirements and know all the techniques that you are required to know. It means that you understand the tai chi, and have learned and practiced professional teaching methods.

Take the world lightly, and your spirit will not be burdened. Consider everything minor, and your mind will not be confused. Regard death and life as equal, and your heart will not be afraid.

Inquisitor Guest
    Well I find it strange because apparently we have different ideas on what being a "sifu" really is. I follow the more convential Chinese belief that being a sifu simply entails being a member of and playing a role in a specific relationship (this is in the martial arts sense, not in the general usage sense). Also, if one is a sifu, that implies that one has finished learning all that one can from one's sifu (and thus has attained the rank of sifu himself). Sure, there is still more to be learned, but that type of learning is more like revelations to be uncovered under personal practice and exploration of the art, things that cannot or should not be learned from another person. What you believe is markedly different from this "definition." From what you have said, I am inferring that you believe that being a "sifu" is a rank, much like being a "1st Dan" is a rank in TaeKwonDo. There are other ranks after that (could you please elaborate on what those ranks are? I am very interested to hear more about your particular views on this subject) which denote greater "master" or skill. Also, from your other posts it seems to imply that, although you are a sifu, there are still things you need to learn from your own sifu. And these are not "hazy concepts" which can only be grasped through practice and reptition (e.g. heightened sensitivity, greater ease in controlling an unwilling opponent, etc.), but they are specific and categorized techniques and principles which can be directly shown and taught. If anything, then it seems that my previous comparison that you believe that being a "sifu" is similar to being a "1st Dan" is very apt. Being a 1st Dan simply means that one has mastered the basics, there are still more techniques and more concepts to learn from your superiors (which is why there is a 2nd Dan all the way up to 10th Dan).
    Is what I have said indicative of your attitudes/beliefs on the subject, or have I gone off the deep end completely?
    Please understand that I am not trying to "bash" you or say that you are "wrong," I am simply trying to understand your point of view on the subject. My view is not "right" and your view is not "wrong," they are simply different.

BeiTangLang Guest

a question...

What is a "Golden Mantis"? A form?? Rank?? I have never heard of this before.
    Thanks,
    BTL

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

EARTH DRAGON Guest
    gold mantis is the americanized version of 1st grade, "black belt if you will" .......simply levels incorporated into americanized thinking of learning or goal setting to help americans feel like their learning and getting their knowledge for their money! please dont take this as negitivity it kinda sounds that way but I mean it nicley I too rank my students in levels! i hope this answers your question thank you

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

EARTH DRAGON Guest

shifu?

A think a lot of confusion is based on a chinese way of learning vs. americans attempting to learn their way! As japanese karate became popular in the u.s during wwI americans took what they learned overseas and attempted to make it exceptable by americans. One example is the different colored belt system! the belt in japan is designed to hold the (gi) uniform together and thier pants up "if you will" all belts are black. When a student ties and unties his belt several 100,000 times the belt wears out and turns to white, so with the idea of the higher in training you go the darker the belt, was never put into play until it hit the states. as far as a sifu program one of james sun lifetime goals was to spread 8 step to as many people as he could to prevent the system from becoming extinct, like so many great styles which have become lost in todays world. however if his dream turns into a "black belt factory" and the quality of learning weakens, then unfortunatly the integrity of 8 step will weaken with it. people use the term sifu like the do "master" and to be a master means one cannot learn any more in his art for he has mastered every technique! I beleive no matter how you are, you are always learning! thank you for my 2 cents as they say

Hua Lin Laoshi Guest
    EARTH DRAGON
    I've always heard the opposite concerning tradional belts in Karate. You start with a white belt and, since belts aren't washed, the dirtier (and darker) it get's the longer you have been wearing it (practicing). Thus a 'black' belt means you have spent many years training.

Inquisitor
    I agree with you about a Sifu playing a specific role but I think you're limiting the Sifu title to specific knowledge. A Sifu is, technically, a teacher. As such he has sufficient knowledge and experience to take on students of his own. This does not mean that he has learned all that his Sifu has to teach. There can be different levels of Sifu. In Wah Lum we have Sifus operating their own schools yet are on different levels of the curriculum. What they have in common is that they all reached at least the minimum level of profeciency to allow them to teach. I believe you should never reach the same level as your Sifu, or learn everything he knows, since that would indicate that he has not progressed or improved the whole time he was teaching you. Unless circumstances prevented him from continuing his training like permanent injury or health reasons.

EARTH DRAGON Guest

dear hau lin loshi

what you said is true! my mistake , what I meant was that after one reaches a certain level you complete a circle and return back to the basics, meaning after the dirty belt has been tied and untied it returns back to white. My point was that the ranking in between i.e colors was an american influence to satisfy impatient students but Im glad some one out there knows the truth! and I agree with your statement of shifu meaning (teacher/father) not learning all that his shifu has to teach him..... however your last staement of your student should never surpass you in skill, my teacher says that if your teaching is great, your student will one day be better than you, you will then know you have taught them the best that you could holding nothing back.....you mentioned wahlum how is master chan pui? I ve had the pleasure to train with him very breifly on my trips to goldenrod road!!!!

Hua Lin Laoshi Guest
    I was a little off in that last part of my post but didn't have time to think it out and put it to words. The student should strive to surpass his Sifu in order for the system to progress. I was thinking along the lines that a Sifu should be continuing his training and advancing the same as his student. If that's the case then the student should never equal or surpass his teacher. But then that's in an ideal world I guess.

Master Chan is doing fine. We're all looking forward to him leading us through another exciting tour of China. If you like you can e-mail me your name and I'll pass on a hello.

EARTH DRAGON Guest

pass on a hello

Shifu Michael Haley tudi of Shyun Kwan Long from taiwan kungfuusabuffalo@cs.com thank you

cane Guest
    hey 6secmantis you little ****** you talk **** about my sifu and good freind mike! Im comming down to hamburg and waiting for you outside your office real soon! Im gonna break your ****in fingers so you wont be able to type any more lies about anyone you inbread ******!who the hell do you think you are? and as for talking about his wife, Im sure you wife would love to hear that! if you can get her to stop sleeping around on the reservation long enough! watch your back Im dead serious