Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fedor: I Don't train Jiu Jitsu, Sambo Is Superior

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    because if sambo was such a superior grappling form it would be dominating MMA not to mention ADCC
    I believe fedor cares what he is doing with sambo more so than anyone else

actually the guard is so far advanced in BJJ compared to sambo or even judo, that he needs to train against a great BJJ player in order to understand how a world class BJJ guy sets it up and hold position (escaping a good guys triangle is one thing, escaping a world class one is another all together)

its just common sense, just as he would train against the best wrestlers around if he was fighting a greco guy he should do the same if he is going to fight a world class BJJ guy
    theres no need to blow things out of proportion. he got caught with a basic triangle submission you see all the time. one loss in all these years doesnt mean he needs to slip on a bjj gi anytime soon

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    I believe fedor cares what he is doing with sambo more so than anyone else

theres no need to blow things out of proportion. he got caught with a basic triangle submission you see all the time. one loss in all these years doesnt mean he needs to slip on a bjj gi anytime soon
    yes you see them all the time, thats the whole point with BJJ and what people dont seem to get alot, the higher belts dont know lots of subs the lower belts dont know, what they know is how to set up the basics and put then on so cleanly and tight that escape is hard if not impossible.

for example knifefighter is a blackbelt, i am probably a blue or purple (i do no gi so dont have a belt) the difference between us is not that he knows alot more subs than i do, the difference is he can setp up the basics so well and apply them with such good timing and skill that there is almost no room for escape or reversal.

I once watched braulo estima at a seminar roll and tap person after person with a helicopter sweep to arm bar, they knew what was coming, had traned against it, but had never had someone with HIS skill do it to them and they were all powerless to stop it

that was fedors mistake, yes he knew now to escape a basic triangle but had not treid to escape a world class grapplers triangle and when he did he found it impossible to do

"So Fedor is one of the best grapplers in the world right? ok So what titles in a all grappling tournament is he world champion of?"

***WHO GIVES A 5HIT?

Not me. I'm most interested in who wins fights - not sport competitions that don't include striking (if they're wrestling/grappling based)....and that don't include wrestling/grappling...(if they're striking based).

Do you guys dispute that mma is THE most advanced form of martial arts/fighting arts that exist in the world today?

Precisely because it most closely parallels real fighting.

Do you dispute that?

I think not.

To be fair, while BJJ is the better grappling art, there is a lot of stuff that isn't as applicable in MMA. At least not on a frequent basis. I love BJJ, its the majority of my grappling. But its not really necessary (or even beneficial for that matter) to have 85.7 different ways to pass guard. Having a ton of technical passes is nice, but a lot of times punching someone in the face repeatedly does just as well, if not better. Same with subs, of course the more versed you are the more likelihood you will have something to use. But while I'm not sure on the statistics, I'd be willing to say 90% of subs come from Armbar, Triangle, RNC, Kimura.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    "So Fedor is one of the best grapplers in the world right? ok So what titles in a all grappling tournament is he world champion of?"

***WHO GIVES A 5HIT?

Not me. I'm most interested in who wins fights - not sport competitions that don't include striking (if they're wrestling/grappling based)....and that don't include wrestling/grappling...(if they're striking based).

Do you guys dispute that mma is THE most advanced form of martial arts/fighting arts that exist in the world today?

Do you dispute that?

I think not.
    and this is why you suck at grappling and neither you nor any or your students will ever compete in grappling or MMA

Why do you think all the top MMA guys train and for the most part compete or have competed in grappling without strikes...and why do you think the best stand up guys have competed in stand up only events and still train stand up only, grappling only and then combine then in an MMA format...why do you thin k that is Victor....

dont worry i dont actually expect you to answer the question i expect you to do what you normally do when faced with inteligent questions...either start swearing or just not bother replying other than to call people nutt riders

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    To be fair, while BJJ is the better grappling art, there is a lot of stuff that isn't as applicable in MMA. At least not on a frequent basis. I love BJJ, its the majority of my grappling. But its not really necessary (or even beneficial for that matter) to have 85.7 different ways to pass guard. Having a ton of technical passes is nice, but a lot of times punching someone in the face repeatedly does just as well, if not better. Same with subs, of course the more versed you are the more likelihood you will have something to use. But while I'm not sure on the statistics, I'd be willing to say 90% of subs come from Armbar, Triangle, RNC, Kimura.
    you are right on all counts, but its never about the submission its about how its set up and applied (as i am sure you know but others dont seem to realise) escaping a blue belts triangle/arm bar and escaping a brown belts are two totally different things and you need to train against the best if you are going to be fighting them, and to become really good you need to do both , hours of rolling with and without strikes

Of course the venue is different but the skills you bring, the knowledge of the escapes, counters and passes are vital, which is why all the top guys train/compete and roll without strikes, you simply HAVE to do this in order to build up the hours of grappling experience (then you add the strikes in and spar full MMA rules)

its the same with stand up, there are things in boxing and thai you will NOT do in MMA, but you still need to put the hours in doing pure stand up (if you just start off doing MMA it is too tempting to just take the fight down to the ground and you never learn the real art of stand up)

that was fedors mistake, yes he knew now to escape a basic triangle but had not treid to escape a world class grapplers triangle and when he did he found it impossible to do
    I don't think that was the case at all... I think it's more along the lines of what he said. He basically got arrogant didn't respect the triangle and allowed Werdum (sp?) to lock it in good. At that point there was no escaping...
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

***WHO GIVES A 5HIT?

Do you dispute that?

I think not.
    Oh I was under the impression you said best grappler not MMA fighter, wait thats what you typed..

Grappler = Grappling

MMA = mma

Kickboxing = Kickboxing

boxing = boxing

Grappling != MMA

MMA != grappling
    ect..

world class grapplers have tried mma and failed miserably and the reverse is also true.

Outside of Combat Sambo what events Has Fedor competed at a world class level in any open grappling tournament (gi or no gi) and won or even almost win?

None

Fedor is probably one of the best MMA fighters in the world, but yet again Victor my friend you have shown you have no idea what your talking about.

Sambo has some great takedowns, and some really interesting gi grips, Very devastating leg locks and basic submission attacks... they do not have amazing submission defenses and guard passes as is shown in Fedors last fight. Wake up, stop riding his nut sack, and just admit the guy who everyone in the world says is the best isn't perfect at a few areas of MMA.

Some of the most interesting and best passes I have seen were simple, and effective.. Yes the getting punched in the face factor exists but that can mask bad technique. Case in point Fedors guard passing. Great at punching people and devastating them.. but thats not a competent guard pass.

MMA isn't a form of martial art fighting its a set of rules for sport fighting it is not grappling. Just like its not pure boxing or kickboxing. The best of each area in the world may not do very well in MMA and the best MMA fighters may not have a chance in the Ring with the Top Boxer or Muy Thai fighter in the world currently.
    Last edited by monji112000; 07-26-2010 at 06:38 AM.

"and this is why you suck at grappling and neither you nor any or your students will ever compete in grappling or MMA"

***AND this is why arrogant guys like you (and monji, and some others) are a complete waste of time to talk to internet forums like this. You don't know 5hit about what me or my students can do - so you guess.

And any hint that bjj might not be the end-all-and-be-all...and insecure little girls like you get all hussy about it.

You can't refute what's being said - so you talk trash.

What a waste of people's time guys like you are.
    Last edited by Ultimatewingchun; 07-26-2010 at 07:25 AM.

"and this is why you suck at grappling and neither you nor any or your students will ever compete in grappling or MMA"

***AND this is why arrogant guys like you (and monji, and some others) are a complete waste of time to talk to internet forums like this. You don't know 5hit about what me or my students can do - so you guess.

And any hint that bjj might not be the end-all-and-be-all...and insecure little girls like you get all hussy about it.

You can't refute what's being said - so you talk trash.

What a waste of people's time guys like you are.
    I refuted everything you said, and I continue to have a open mind about martial arts.

Sorry.