Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Was Bruce The Real Deal....

Oh shut up, MP.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

not much to say here, but

"Dont' worry speed racer, I'm not hurting your mother"
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

wow, this wildbill guy is a piece of work!
    lol

that's some serious hard trolling he's doing.

epic failure and so on.

This place is awesomer and awesomer as these losers roll in.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

IMO, what set Bruce apart and helped make him a legend is that he came from the "golden era" of martial arts. During the period from the 50's to the 70's, martial artists were still willing to go out and test their art on the street. You had guys like Bruce, Gene Lebell, Ed Parker, Ralph Castro, Al Dacascos, etc. not to mention a number of Yip Man's students who were out there seeing what worked and what didn't. That was back before everyone was lawsuit happy.

I've met and trained with 2 of Bruce's original students during his Seattle years. From what I've been told, Bruce was c o c k y and some might even call it being hotheaded, but he never backed down from a confrontation and the 2 guys I trained with both witnessed Bruce beat down a supposed "expert" in karate and another guy who was about twice Bruce's size (on seperate occasions). One day I was training with one of these men, and I was amazed at his speed. He told me that was nothing compared to the way Bruce could move. I had trouble wrapping my head around it. Even with this guy's speed, he said Bruce could hit or kick him at will and that Bruce wasn't just fast, but hit with heavyweight power which people sometimes forget about.

I think it's pretty clear that by the time Dan Inosanto started training with him, Bruce had calmed down/matured/changed his ways however you want to look at it. At least it seems that way because he didn't get in as many scraps during that time (or at least none that were witnessed like during previous years).

I remember seeing a Sammo interview where he talked about the first time he met Bruce. He said they kind of gave each other the stare down and finally Sammo asked Bruce if he could really fight. Bruce said something to the effect of "do you want to find out". Sammo said that they squared off and he went to throw a kick at Bruce, and before he could raise his knee up Bruce's foot was on the side of his head. That interview is on the bonus features of a documentary called Modern Warriors if anyone would like to see it.

Does that mean Bruce was unbeatable? Of course not, we all know the saying there is always someone tougher and even the most badassed fighters on earth get their butt kicked. But what put Bruce in the upper echelon were the rare attributes that he had, combined with his fanatical dedication to training and his state of mind.

So there is no doubt in my mind that Bruce definitely was not a paper tiger. However, the biggest issue that I've questioned is the fight with Wong Jack Man. There are a couple of things that bother me about the official story (Linda Lee version). The first is, the story goes that WJM fought Bruce because the older Chinese in SF didn't want Bruce teaching whites. Well there were already other Chinese sifus teaching whites so it wasn't like Bruce was breaking some kind of taboo. And the story goes that, after Bruce took longer than expected to beat WJM, he decided to make the changes to wing chun which led to the development of JKD. Linda Lee says that Bruce abandoned wing chun after discovering that it didn't work in a real confrontation.

I think we can all agree that is nonsense. Not only did Bruce witness his kung fu elders use wing chun, to varying degress of success, in Hong Kong, but Bruce himself was a street fighter as acknowledged by his own brother Robert and friends who hung around with Bruce during his HK years. By the time Bruce made it to Seattle, he was still getting into fights. So he already had a very good idea of what worked and what didn't on the street. So what prompted the change after the WJM fight? Could he have become bored with what he had learned and wanted to create something new for himself? Or did he just happen to meet someone who was just a little more badass, in that case WJM?

context, context, context

A Martial Artist who majored in Philosophy and lived in America during the counter culture movement... hmmmmmm... Jeet Kune Do®, a philosophy that's based on questioning the martial arts establishment...

A young man who's obviously interested in the practical aspects of fighting (and take into account what I wrote above)... incorporates western boxing and wrestling and physical fitness into his martial arts training.

---

Most of what the legend surrounding Bruce Lee® is is mostly BS. He was an actor with a good publicity game. What's not BS is that he was an early pioneer and advocate of cross training for functionality. His book and concepts are sound - some of his technique is dated. But, from what I read - he didn't want to create a new martial art. He pushed his philosophy which was ahead (kind've, read Musashi) and inspired a lot of people. His philosophy is still sound and is exemplified by MMA.

Could he fight? I'd say yes. Was he the best? Well, no one is. Was he better prepared for real fighting than other "traditional" martial artists of his time? Most definitely.

I like to leave it at that.

"It is like a finger"

(take a bong hit)

"pointing it's way at the moon"

(second bong hit)

"do not concentrate on the finger or you will miss all the heavenly glory"

(stoned friend on couch)

"dooooooood, that's like, like, sooooooo deeeeepppppppp"

(don't forget the floral shirts)

Last edited by lkfmdc; 01-05-2011 at 07:57 AM.

As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Bushido brown is disturbed by this insolent apostasy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

That was freaking awesome and the best part of this thread !!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i dont believe they fought for 25 minutes straight without one of them beating the crap out of the other guy unless they both sucked that bad. you take 2 good fighters and have a NHB with no ref, it doesnt last 25 minutes. id need real proof to believe that kinds of story.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i dont believe they fought for 25 minutes straight without one of them beating the crap out of the other guy unless they both sucked that bad. you take 2 good fighters and have a NHB with no ref, it doesnt last 25 minutes. id need real proof to believe that kinds of story.
    have you ever seen the "roof top fights"? Or the "famous" battle between two "masters"?

The fact that wong was walking around at work the next day, no injury, says a lot

lol ya. it makes you wonder the other way it could last 25 minutes....cat and mouse?

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Bruce Lee was Manorexic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

Blog Entries
    He said, "I punch and I don't push." I respect him just for saying that. When a Taiji master asks you to push on his fat belly, how many of you will punch on his face and knock him down?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 01-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.

A guy told me "boards don't hit back"

so I hit him with a 2 by 4