Thread: To prepare for training?

terry_251 Guest

To prepare for training?

I recently got a good opinion on this question but wanted to post it here and get more ideas. This is the situation. I have always been interested in Kung Fu and have recently had the resolve to begin training. So I did my homework on the internet and have been doing my best to understand the diffrent styles and diffrences. Also noticed that in my home town, Melbourne, FL, there is a Wuh Lum school under (I beleive it is) Sifu Harry Lo and everything I have seen so far looks like that style is perfect. Now the only problem lies in the fact that I am in the Marine Corps and stationed in South Carolina. I do not get out and return to Melbourne until next year. Now, should I just not worry about anything and just wait a year to begin training or is there anything that I can begin to do now, that will help my training in the future? So far I was told that I should really work on cardio and leg strength, along with total body flexability. I will continue to do my normal Marine Corps Close Combat training through out the next year but as I am sure we can all guess, it is nothing like this. So just looking for ideas and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank for your time in advance.
    Sergeant Reinert

Lo Tien-Di Guest

Preparation

Welcome to the world of Kung Fu,

Your military training is going to put you in a good position physically to do what is required of you in a beginning Kung Fu class. Cardio, strength and stretching are all important. The good thing about training in kung fu after being in the military is that you are already used to working out.

One thing that you'll probably notice when you start training in Kung Fu is that you'll use muscles that you never used before (at least that was the case with me). I wouldn't worry about that just get mentally prepared and enjoy the pain.:)

Speaking of mental preparation, this is an area where you can prepare yourself in advance. Going into kung fu with an open minded positve attitude will really help you. In fact, I'd wager that mental flexibility is more important than physical flexibility at the onset. Another thing you can do is use the internet and the library to learn more about your chosen style, lineage, and teachers. That way when concepts are presented you'll have a rudimentary understanding of them and the context in which they are presented.

Have fu

Peace
    BaldMonk
    WUTAN

Lo Tien-Di Guest

oops

I meant "Have Fun"

Peace
    BaldMonk
    WUTAN

joedoe Guest
    Have fu too, it's good for you :D

Guns don't kill people, I kill people

Paul Skrypichayko Guest
    Just keep yourself in good health.

Some high goals a beginner can set for one year's prep training are:
    -100 knuckle pushups, non stop, all the way up, all the way down. Try for 500 in a day.
    -25 chinups, non stop, all the way up, all the way down
    -15 minutes of horse stance, thighs parallel to the ground
    -flexibility, side splits, front splits, etc.

Of course, everything depends on you personally, and how you progress. You can also practice general things, like running, jumping, rolling, etc.

Good luck

Hua Lin Laoshi Guest
    How close are you to Fayetteville, North Carolina? We have a Wah Lum Sifu teaching out there.

RICHARD ALLEN
    1316 Sapona Road
    Fayetteville, NC 28301
    (910) 486-0288

terry_251 Guest

How close I am to Fayetteville.

I'm about equal distance between there and Melbourne / Orlando. Well, probley a bit close to NC. Beaufort is the town I am stationed in now and it is just on the SC side of the SC / GA border against the ocean. About 30 minutes North of Savannah. So no chance of heading up that way. Got an email from Sifu Lo from Melbourne, I emailed him a bit ago, and he let me know to come in and see him next time I am in town down there and we could talk. So hopefully will be heading down there soon and can get with him.

Oh, thanks for all the help so far. Much appreciated. Will be doing an overseas deployment on the USS Roosevelt from Sept to March and hope to find someone onboard that studies. Anyone out there?

Thanks Again.
    Sgt Reinert

ChitownMantis Guest

Good luck

(Bowing in)
    I think the fact that you are in the marines, you will be stronger mentally to take the pain because I almost went active duty myself. And eventhough I did not go and going thru a mock ranger challenge comp (Which even at that low level made the most tired I have ever,ever been), I was able to deal with the pain. Eventhough, I don't know about going thru pain all the time. Like for example the stretching should be uncomfortable because if it is painfull you will hurt yourself badly.(But I am sure you know that being a sergent in the USMC). Also I am not sure about doing knuckle push up, going all the way up and down. I was taught to not lock your elbows.
    But let them teach there own. But reguardless I think I will be a good expirence and contantly pratice.

"Fear is the mind killer" The Movie "Dune"

Hua Lin Laoshi Guest
    Sergeant Reinert,
    You can also try Sifu Dale Herring in Gainsville. I don't have contact information for him at the moment but can send it too you if you like. I just saw him last night and should have asked him. At least you could get all the basics from him until you get back to Florida.

Robinf Guest
    Your marine training will be more than enough to help you out when you start in Wah Lum.

A couple of specific exercises you might want to start:

Horse stance -- as low as it takes to balance a broom stick across your legs without it rolling off.

One-legged squats -- with one hand above your head and the other outstretched over your extended leg

Once you get to your training, relax--things will come, it will flow, just give it time.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.