Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Going back to Shaolin in 3 weeks!!!

I haven't logged on here and took a look at things in a long while so i just noticed. Thanks Gene and yes i was spanked shaolin style!

Over all it was a really good experince. After the buildup of the previous trip this time i was able to get past the "I'm at shaolin" excitment and absorb more. I trained mostly in the small village next to shaolin this time, last time i trained in shaolin temple itself. I learned dahong quan and qixing quan. i also learned another form at shi yan lu's school in dengfeng when i visited there for a day.

The most important thing I learned at shaolin was the spirit of kung fu training. These people have little yet they train hard every day. I saw students training 4x a day in a way that most people here wouldnt do once. I think perserverance is what makes them good.

Even though it's been 5 months ago i am still processing everything I experinced there. I'm still processing the trip in 2009 for that matter lol
    Last edited by Shaolindynasty; 03-09-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

I am going back in 3 months, can't hardly wait. This year we are training at WuTang also. This will be a very exciting trip.

Welcome back, Shaolindynasty

Glad you have a good experience! Hope you can share more about it here in your upcoming posts

Have a great trip, sha0lin1!

It's been way too long since I've been back to China.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

My personality would never allow me to train at wudang. I'm way to agressive and impatient, it's hard enough for me to practice taiji for an hour at a time now.

There's plenty of aggression and impatience at Wudang

Don't believe the hype. There's all sorts of stuff practiced at Wudang, not just taiji. When I went, I was very impressed by some bagua practitioners working trees like Muay Thai fighters.

I imagine some might say the same thing about aggression and patience at Shaolin, but we all know different.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I found the monks at shaolin to be very patient with everyone............... who wasn't their disciple

I know what you mean, Shaolindynasty

Once they realize you are serious, all that patience is left for the tourists only. I had more than a few monks kick my ass, but only after they knew I was going to be there for a spell, and that was before I took discipleship.

Maybe I should have said 'spanked' instead of 'kicked'.

But back to Wudang, taiji is only one of the eight major styles practiced there. I'm sure if you went and trained, you'd get spanked Wudang style, especially if you said you were from Shaolin and you thought Wudang was inferior. That would draw out some serious Wudang aggression and impatience.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Once they realize you are serious, all that patience is left for the tourists only. I had more than a few monks kick my ass, but only after they knew I was going to be there for a spell, and that was before I took discipleship.

Maybe I should have said 'spanked' instead of 'kicked'.

But back to Wudang, taiji is only one of the eight major styles practiced there. I'm sure if you went and trained, you'd get spanked Wudang style, especially if you said you were from Shaolin and you thought Wudang was inferior. That would draw out some serious Wudang aggression and impatience.
    Maybe we will try that line. I am more interested in Wudang for the scenic beauty than the martial arts and we are only going to train there for 2 days. Hope to learn one of their sword forms.

@sha0lin1

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.

Wudang is more spread out than Shaolin, but you still have the same tourist lesson issues. You got to have guanxi to get to the authentic stuff. Without it, you might just get some tourist wushu lesson and be sent on your way.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

You got to have guanxi to get to the authentic stuff. Without it, you might just get some tourist wushu lesson and be sent on your way.

Most don't know this fact. This is what causes so many issues with shaolin. coupled with the sense of entitlement most westerners have when it comes to learning martial arts, most end up learning some basic wushu then walk away with the "no traditional at shaolin" attitude.

Of course, many people go to shaolin believe that a few weeks there is better than any training you get at home.

it isn't

If you really want to learn kung fu from anyone you need to cultivate a relationship with the person. traveling in china for a few weeks/months doesnt allow the time for that. many that go to shaolin in search of traditional would do much better searching out a sifu close to home for this reason

for those of us who have a sifu at home, training at shaolin does give you a boost and motivate you to pursue you practice at home in a more vigorous fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolindynasty View Post
    Most don't know this fact. This is what causes so many issues with shaolin. coupled with the sense of entitlement most westerners have when it comes to learning martial arts, most end up learning some basic wushu then walk away with the "no traditional at shaolin" attitude.

Of course, many people go to shaolin believe that a few weeks there is better than any training you get at home.

it isn't

If you really want to learn kung fu from anyone you need to cultivate a relationship with the person. traveling in china for a few weeks/months doesnt allow the time for that. many that go to shaolin in search of traditional would do much better searching out a sifu close to home for this reason

for those of us who have a sifu at home, training at shaolin does give you a boost and motivate you to pursue you practice at home in a more vigorous fashion
    This frames the issue perfectly.

These days it is easier to find traditional Shaolin in the states at one of the cultural centers than if you just walked into a school in dengfeng without any connections.

My own pilgrimage was a good while ago, but since i never posted any photos:

I don't remember what the name of this stage show was. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

It's the Shaolin Zen music grand ceremony. I saw it in 09, there are some videos floating around but they don;t do it justice. it's amazing in person

I was, being the cynical b@stard that I am, actually unimpressed.

Confused by the village girls dancing in the buckets. . .?

Although the pictures came out spectacular.

I know they sell a DVD of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    This is not a veiled request for compliments

The short story is I did 325# for one set of 1 rep.

1) Does this sound gifted, or just lucky?

many that go to shaolin in search of traditional would do much better searching out a sifu close to home for this reason
    I should clarify. I don't just mean searching out a shaolin sifu. If nothing else studing another system close to home is better than going this extreme long distance route. That is if the purpose of your training is to aquire skill

Also what i said isn't meant to seem like "after they know they will reveal the secrets" is some type of shaw brothers manner. I just meant that it is human nature to be more reserved in what you share with someone and over time people are more open with each other as they get to know them.

Even in the USA the sifu won't share everything right away.

We cannot just expect a teacher to give us everything on a silver platter!!! This type of mentality goes against everything Gung Fu stands for!!!
    It is bias to think that the art of war is just for killing people. It is not to kill people, it is to kill evil. It is a strategem to give life to many people by killing the evil of one person.
    - Yagyū Munenori