Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is your favorite kung fu flick and actor

Favorite kung fu movies:

Shaolin Martial Arts.

Disciples of Shaolin.

Favorite martial arts actor:

Alexander Fu Sheng (during Chang Cheh's Shaolin series of movies, including the above-mentioned films, which was earlier in his career).

movie, Shaolin Temple 3
    actor:Jet Li.

I'm glad i'm not the only one who really likes Donnie Yen. I'm actually starting to prefer him to Jet Li these days.

Favorite KF(and Karate) flicks:
    Dragon Tiger Gate - Just really liked the cinematography and the action.
    Iron Monkey - Awesome.
    Fist of Legend - Awesome awesome.
    Fighter in the Wind - Some great action sequences. Plus, it's about Mas Oyama(loosely).
    Black Belt(Kuro Obi) - Fist Karate movie i've seen that showed a no-nonsense approach to combat. Also, I liked the fact that they were genuinely good karateka. The final fight sequence was terrible, though.

Donnie Yen in Ip Man, hands down the best of its kind.

If we're also including non-Chinese MA or MA-type movies, then my favorite actor, by a long shot, is Shintaro Katsu, in his Zatoichi series. IMO, no other MA actor has ever 'become the role' like him.

I'm surprised how many of you picked Donnie Yen...Ip Man was by far his best role but I just don't think his MA is nearly as good or athletic as some others posted on here.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

sonny chiba ftw!!

The Street Fighter!!!!!!

ya ya i know its karate, but i dont care. chiba owns.
    Last edited by Lucas; 07-28-2010 at 01:44 PM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    I'm surprised how many of you picked Donnie Yen...Ip Man was by far his best role but I just don't think his MA is nearly as good or athletic as some others posted on here.
    agreed but what he did demonstrate was great. I think there was a comment here some time back, maybe from the great one Gene Ching that Yen has no formal KF training. The movie was tense, well shot and told a great story. I have watched it a dozen times and still see something new every time. will probably watch it again this weekend!

I remember reading an interview with Donnie Yen in a British magazine back in the early '90s where he mentioned his training. If I remember right, he mentioned starting with wushu under his mom, Bow Sim-Mark. (I have an old book from the early '80s on wushu basics by her, and Donnie demonstrates in several of the photos). He mentioned going to many places in Boston to learn whatever he felt was useful, mentioning TKD, kickboxing, and also under Sensei Mattson, an early karate pioneer in the U.S. who I believe taught Uechi-ryu. He might have mentioned kung fu; I don't remember. He said he was starting to get into trouble, so his parents sent him to China to train with the Beijing wushu team, but that he wasn't particularly comfortable doing wushu. In the magazine interview, Donnie described his training routine at the time as mainly kicking exercises. I suspect that's changed.

I don't know if Donnie has had formal 'traditional' CMA training or not, though it's pretty clear he's learned or played around with a lot of stuff since the time of that interview.