Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbin

Harbin

Hey all. I am going to be moving to Harbin soon, and I was wondering what schools/styles are there in that area? I really can't find a whole lot of info out here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Unhappy

very very cold from what i understand, get ready for some nasty weather my friend. my ex girlfriends from there. miss her

Harbin? Harbin where?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Yeah, the weather does seem nasty in winter. Can get to -33F there and its the coldest city in China - and I'm a gosh darn Cali boy, i wonder how i will survive? Hehe, but on the plus side - great chance to learn how to skii and snowboard too

it is a border town with russia.

you may find some very old buildings or churches.

many russians in town, too.

you need heavy gear or coat to survive the winter.

---

life styles are mixed with chinese and russian

MA scenes you may be finding both, too.

best of luck.

I had a friend in Harbin but I don't recall there being a lot of wushu there. I doubt I could get back in touch to find out though. Sorry.

Cali to Harbin? I couldn't do it but then I can barely take visiting reletives in New Jersey anymore (Florida 20 years now).
    When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!

Quote Originally Posted by wenshu View Post
    Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

it is the coldest city in china during winter.

some slangs

russian bread is called da lie ba (big lie ba)

russians are called lao mao zi or old hairy guys

chinese/russian mixed blood called er mao zi or second generation of hairy people

----

extreme colds

Don't they have a big winter festival there every year?

Sorry, sometimes I forget you guys have that special secret internal sauce where people throw themselves and you don't have to do anything except collect tuition.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragkin View Post
    Hey all. I am going to be moving to Harbin soon, and I was wondering what schools/styles are there in that area? I really can't find a whole lot of info out here. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    There's Meihua Tanglang for sure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URTNvEoscIs

I'm sure you'll be able to find many other styles as well.
    You might check if there's any Chuojiao left in Harbin. That might be interesting as well (at least for me).

Must have been summer in that vid, the red shirt guy had wu shorts to go with his wu shoes.

Thanks for all of the help so far guys. Will have to look into the Mantis there, have always been curious about that style. And the language lesson - hehe, being a hairy white boy i probably will get called some of that Hehe

And here I thought you were talkin' 'bout this place: http://www.harbin.org/

An ex-girlfriend of mine used to take me there from time to time. It's gorgeous and hot tubs in winter are awesome...
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Not even close. More like this.

This is the winter festival.

Heaps of very good Tanglang there.

How is Mantis as a fighting art? I would think it would be good to try it out I think, definitely. Also, it looked as if Bajiquan was over there as well - anybody hear of anything like that, or is my info kind of dated?