Thread: Kickin’ It

Kickin’ It

Young Birmingham actor hopes new Disney show about martial arts will be his break into the big time
    Published: Tuesday, July 27, 2010, 6:03 AM
    Alec Harvey -- The Birmingham News Alec Harvey -- The Birmingham News

When Alex Jones starts classes at the Alabama School of Fine Arts in the fall — if he starts in the fall — he’ll have a doozie of an entry in the "What I Did On My Summer Vacation" sweepstakes.

Alex worked this summer, but for the 13-year-old actor, that didn’t mean mowing lawns or throwing newspapers. He filmed a pilot for Disney XD, a show called "Kickin’ It" that he hopes will be picked up for a regular series. It’s about kids at a martial arts academy, and other stars include Disney favorites Jason Earles of "Hannah Montana" and Leo Little of "Leo Little’s Big Show."

"When I went into the studio, I just acted like they were my co-workers instead of being a big fan," Alex says. ‘They were all great."

Alex almost didn’t make it to the audition at all. After sending a tape to Disney, he and his mother, Lisa, flew out to Los Angeles to meet with casting executives. Because of flight delays, he was three hours late for his audition.

"It was the best thing that could have happened," says his manager, Lynne Marks. "They were all tired of waiting, and everyone was dragging, and in walks Alex with all of his energy. The rest is history."

It was Marks – whom Alex met a couple of years ago during the Red Mountain Theatre Company’s summer program – who gave him the good news about landing the Disney pilot in front of hundreds of kids at this summer’s RMTC camp.

"I was so excited," Alex says. "I actually cried a little."

Alex, the son of Andre and Lisa Jones, has been acting for a while, making his debut in a featured role in Ruben Studdard’s "Flying Without Wings" video. Most of his work has been on stage, including recent roles in RMTC’s "Beauty and the Beast" and "Barnstormer."

"He’s got a lot of charisma and a natural charm," Marks says. "Like Simon Cowell would say, he’s got the likeability factor. He and his parents are very special people, very humble people."

And professional, too. A frequent visitor to the "Kickin’ It" set was Jaden Smith, son of Will Smith and the star of the recent remake of "The Karate Kid." Jones talked with him several times, but he tried hard not to act like a fan.

"He’s cool, too," Alex says. "He wasn’t doing anything with the show. He was just watching us."

For his part, Alex had to learn karate to play his role of Eddie.

"Two days of the rehearsal process were really intense karate," he says.

If "Kickin’ It" is picked up, Alex would probably need to be in California for 13 weeks to film the series’ first season. The Joneses will figure out the logistics if and when that happens, Lisa says.

And Alex knows it’s not a done deal.

"Id be upset if it's not picked up, but I also know it has been a great opportunity for me right now. As of right now, this is what I want to do with my life." (Beverly Taylor/The Birmingham News)

"I’d be upset if it’s not picked up, but I also know it has been a great opportunity for me right now," he says. "As of right now, this is what I want to do with my life."

Lisa isn’t worried about the possible rejection.

"I don’t think he’ll be upset," she says of Alex. "He’s so mature for 13 years old, and it would just be one of those things that would be a bump in the road. If it happens, it happens. If not, there’s something better out there."

And there’s another Jones waiting in the wings – Alex’s 9-year-old sister, Alexis.

"She’s been going to Red Mountain Theatre, too," Alex says. "I’ve been giving her some advice."
    Disney Auditions for new television series pilot 'Kickin It' shooting this summer
    June 19, 2:36 PMLA Acting Auditions Examiner
    Alan Baltes

Disney is holding auditions for a new comedy series pilot titled Kickin' It. The project will shoot this summer in Los Angeles, and will air on Disney XD sometime in the Fall of 2010. The story revolves around a struggling martial arts school and a group of teenagers, including a skateboarding expert who reluctantly joings to help save the dojo.

Kickin' It will be directed by Image Award nominated Eric Dean Seaton, who has a long history working as director and producer on Disney Channel shows. Seaton has directed such Disney shows as That's So Raven, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Cory in the House, Good Luck Charlie, and Sonny with a Chance.

The show is being produced by It's a Laugh Productions, the same production company behind the Disney Channel hit shows Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place, The Suite Life on Deck, Jonas, and many more. It's a Laugh Productions is owned by The Walt Disney Company.

Information on how to submit photos and resumes to the shows casting director can be found on the following website:

Kickin' It Disney Auditions

This production is under AFTRA contract.

Disney XD is a brand of children's TV channels worldwide targeting young males, owned by The Walt Disney Company.
    Laugh Productions is a Disney powerhouse. If this series comes to be, it could be a real boon for our industry.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wasabi Warriors

I'm not changing the title of this thread just yet, as Wasabi Warriors is still a working title.
    Disney XD Orders “Wasabi Warriors” A New Martial Arts Inspired Comedy Series
    November 16th, 2010 | Author: Chip Dismark

Disney XD has ordered “Wasabi Warriors” (working title), a live action comedy set at the Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy, a strip mall martial arts studio and worst dojo in the underperforming nationwide Bobby Wasabi chain. There, a ragtag crew of lovable misfits welcomes a hotshot skateboarder named Jack, who will teach a group of neighborhood goofballs about life, karate and how to just plain kick it. The multi-camera series will begin production in Hollywood in January for a 2011 premiere around the world. The announcement was made today by Gary Marsh, president, entertainment, and chief creative officer, Disney Channels Worldwide.

Marsh said, “By weaving martial arts into the fabric of a traditional situation comedy, we’ve created a completely unique sitcom form. Plus, by pairing our star Leo Howard – a real life black-belt martial artist – with a brilliant comedian like Jason Earles, we’ve tipped the scales towards success.”

Starring are Jason Earles (“Hannah Montana”) as Rudy, Leo Howard (Disney Channel’s short-form series “Leo Little’s Big Show“) as Jack, Mateo Arias (“Cold Case,” “Hannah Montana,”) as Jerry, Dylan Riley Snyder (“Life During Wartime”) as Milton, Alex Jones as Eddie and Olivia Holt (“Black & Blue”) as Kim.

Located in a strip mall, the Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy is in danger of closing until Sensei Rudy recruits Jack, the only person who can restore glory to Bobby Wasabi and vanquish their bitter rival The Golden Dragon. Jack reluctantly joins the dojo and meets his new crew — tough guy and slacker Jerry, awkward yet confident Milton and the lovable and uncoordinated Eddie. These underdogs soon realize their newfound friendship will take them places they never quite imagined.

The series was created by Jim O’Doherty (“Grounded for Life,” “3 Rock from the Sun”) who, with Marc Warren (“JONAS L.A.,” “Cory in the House,”"That’s So Raven”), serves as Executive Producer. Joey Scott (“Growing Pains”) is the producer. “Wasabi Warriors” is produced by It’s A Laugh Productions, Inc.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My little boy will probably like this. He loves the Disney Channel and has a lot of fun doing kung fu with daddy.

OK, I'm changing the title from 'Disney's Kickin' It' to 'Wasabi Warriors' now

Jason Earles Practicing Kung Fu For New Disney XD Show
    December 13, 2010 | by Disnology Staff

Jason Earles is a lead character in a new Disney XD show that is going to appear on the channel in 2011 tentatively titled “Wasabi Warriors.” Below you can check out two videos that Jason recently uploaded of himself practicing Kung Fu for the new show – he looks like he’s getting the hang of it! Here’s what Jason posted with the video below:
    click the link for the vids.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

*******s!

They've changed back. I'm not changing the title again until it comes out.

Disney XD Changes Wasabi Warriors to Kickin It
    TV | Lainey DeeKay | January 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

Jason Earles the Disney star from Hannah Montana series took to Twitter today to let his fans know that his new show on Disney XD has changed names from Wasabi Warriors to Kickin’ It. Originally the show had been titled Kickin’ It until it was changed to Wasabi Warriors and now it has changed back. The show is set to air later this year on Disney XD and will also star Leo Howard from Leo Little’s Big Show as well as Olivia Holt, Mateo Arias (younger brother of Moises Arias), Dylan Riley Snyder and Alex Jones.

The sitcom is to be about a martial arts studio which is said to be the worst dojo in the nationwide chain. There are a misfit group of kids who attend classes there taught by a ‘rockin’ skateboarder Jack (Leo Howard, who is also a black belt in real life). The show’s main location is the dojo and is said to be set in a strip mall and be one of the Bobby Wasabi’s Martial Arts Academy.

The show will start out with the dojo in danger of closing until the Sensei recruits Jack the only person that can restore the Bobby Wasabi to its former glory and vanquish their bitter rival The Golden Dragon. Jack joins the dojo and meets the ragtag new group and will teach about life, karate, and how to just plain kick it. Although, with the changes this could all change.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

June 13th premiere

Alright, I'm changing the god**** title again.
    ‘Kickin’ It’ Premieres June 13th on Disney XD
    May 17, 2011 By Julie

On June 13th, Disney XD is premiering its brand new martial arts-themed sitcom ‘Kickin’ It’. Not only that, but season 2 of ‘Pair of Kings’ and a new episode of ‘I’m in the Band’ will also premiere from 8:00 – 9:30 p.m., ET/PT.

“Kickin’ It” follows Jack who joins the underperforming Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy and teaches a group of neighborhood goofballs about life, karate and how to just plain kick it. Disney XD will premiere brand new episodes of “Kickin’ It” MONDAY, JUNE 13-THURSDAY, JUNE 16 (8:30 p.m., ET/PT). Throughout the premiere nights, the reality interstitial series “Martial Arts Boot Camp” will take viewers behind the scenes for an exclusive look at the karate training for world class martial artist and series’ star Leo Howard and the “Kickin’ It” cast.

Reigning Disney XD hit “Pair of Kings” returns for a second season as fraternal twins and royal heirs Boomer and Brady continue their quest to successfully reign over their quirky island nation of Kinkow and become kings of legend. In its most recent original telecast, “Pair of Kings” hit series highs in Total Viewers and its target kid and boy demos, becoming Disney XD’s No. 1 original series telecast ever in Kids 6-14, Tweens 9-14 and Boys 9-14.

The multiplatform roll-out is:

Tuesday, May 24

DisneyXD.com launches a “Kickin’ It” show page featuring a new game “Dojo Dodge,” where players must pass a martial arts training exam by collecting dojo equipment before it touches the ground.

Tuesday, May 31

“Kickin’ It” series premiere will be made available as a free preview on iTunes.

Tuesday, June 7

DisneyXD.com will launch an interactive video activity where users can master martial arts moves and combinations demonstrated by the “Kickin’ It” cast, and “Hollywood Rumble,” a new game based on “Kickin’ It,” where players must pass the ultimate test by defending themselves against an army of ninjas while avoiding obstacles at the legendary Bobby Wasabi Hollywood Studio.

Monday, June 13

“Pair of Kings” Season Two Premiere (8:00 p.m., ET/PT)

In “Kings of Legend: Part One,” while trying to prove that they are the Kings of Legend, Boomer and Brady accidentally bring Zadoc, an ancient evil statue, to life, consequently putting the entire island in extreme danger. The twins cede the throne to Lanny for the better of Kinkow and depart on a balloon voyage back to Chicago for good, until the balloon catches a wind and sends them plummeting straight to the Dark Side of the island.

“Kickin’ It” Series Premiere (8:30 p.m., ET/PT)

In “Wasabi Warriors,” a cafeteria food fight leads a group of underdogs from the Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy to meet Jack, a hotshot skater who saves their lunch with his martial arts skills. When Jack literally flies through the wall of the dojo in a perfect martial arts stance, the gang knows they have found the one person who can restore glory to their struggling dojo.

“I’m In The Band” (9:00 p.m., ET/PT)

In “Weasels on a Plane,” Simon Craig books Iron Weasel a concert in New York and loans the band his private jet. The guys accidentally get on the wrong plane and, when their student pilot refuses to land it, the band must take matters into their own hands. Thinking they will never make it off the plane, they confess their secrets to each other, putting their friendship in jeopardy.

Directly following the premiere on-air, the premiere episodes and a brand new episode of “Pair of Kings” and “Kickin’ It” will become available exclusively on DisneyXD.com/Premieres.

Tuesday, June 14

“Kickin’ It” series premiere launches on Disney XD on Demand available via AT&T, Charter, Cox, Time Warner and Verizon; Disney XD Mobile VOD available via AT&T U-Verse, MobiTV, Sprint and Verizon; along with Xbox Live and Sony Playstation.

“Kickin’ It” (8:30 p.m., ET/PT)

In “Fat Chance,” Milton falls off a ladder while trying to place his spelling bee trophy in the award case and is caught by the school janitor, Nakamura, a former sumo wrestler. When Nakamura demonstrates a signature move for the gang at school, he gets fired. Feeling responsible, the gang arranges for a comeback sumo match so Nakamura can prove he’s still got what it takes.

Wednesday, June 15

In “Dummy Dancing,” Truman, a bratty kid whose dad controls the mall’s security, captures a video of Eddie practicing for the school dance with a punching dummy. In order to protect Eddie from online embarrassment, the gang bands together and uses Jack’s martial arts skills to sneak into Turner’s dad’s office and obtain the evidence.

Thursday, June 16

In “Dojo Day Afternoon,” when Arthur, the obnoxious son of the owner of the mall, joins the Bobby Wasabi dojo, Rudy bends over backwards to please him. But Arthur rubs everyone the wrong way, and after an altercation with Jack, Arthur’s dad insists that Rudy kick Jack out of dojo or he will bring in a wrecking ball and turn the dojo

into a parking lot. Rudy proves his loyalty to Jack and the gang by chaining himself inside the dojo.

About “Kickin’ It”:

Located in a strip mall and run by Sensei Rudy, the Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy is the worst dojo in the nationwide Bobby Wasabi chain and is in danger of closing. But everything changes when Jack reluctantly joins the dojo and meets his new crew — tough guy and slacker Jerry, awkward yet confident Milton and the lovable, uncoordinated Eddie. Also joining the Wasabi crew is confident martial arts expert Kim. The gang soon realizes their newfound friendship will take them places they never quite imagined and, united, they can become unstoppable.

Starring in “Kickin’ It” are Jason Earles (“Hannah Montana”) as Rudy, Leo Howard (Disney Channel’s short-form series “Leo Little’s Big Show”) as Jack, Mateo Arias (“Cold Case”) as Jerry, Dylan Riley Snyder (Disney’s Broadway Musical “Tarzan”) as Milton, Alex Christian Jones as Eddie and Olivia Holt (“Black & Blue”) as Kim.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Premieres today

Disney series is a kick for young karate expert
    June 10, 2011|By PETER LARSEN

Leo Howard remembers his first thought on getting the script for "Kickin' It" before his audition was how cool it would be to get a lead role on a Disney TV series.

"And then I saw it was a martial arts show and I thought, 'Oh! I have to do this!'" says the 13-year-old actor who was born in Newport Beach and grew up and still lives in Fallbrook.

This wasn't just a kid actor's enthusiasm for a great part, mind you. As a black belt in Shorin Ryu karate and a three-time world champion in different levels of martial arts, it would be hard to picture a kid more perfectly suited to play the role of Jack on the Disney XD series.

So while he was nervous – tons of kids tried out for the part – he had reason to be confident, especially after he felt he'd hit it off with the producers, and in early 2010 he got word that he'd landed the part in the show that premieres at 8:30 p.m. Monday, June 13.
    The Meet & Greet: ‘Kickin’ It’ Star Dylan Riley Snyder
    2 days ago

Dylan Riley Snyder stars on the Disney XD show Kickin’ It, all about a martial arts academy, and it may not look like he could bust out some karate moves on you, if you think he couldn’t you’re sorely mistaken!

With a background in theater and dance, Dylan has taken a liking to his new martial arts ways. Celebuzz caught up with the young actor and talked to him about his summer plans, the show, and how he got started in the business.

Tell us a little about the show and your character.
    The show is called Kickin It which is a Disney XD television show about a karate dojo called the Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy run by Sensei Rudy who is played by [Hannah Montana star] Jason Earles. It is about five kids who are at this dojo who release we are stronger together than without each other. My character is Milton, who is a thin wispy kid. He joined to try and boost his confidence.

Are there any similarities between you and your character?
    We both are very smart and get good grades, also both love to hang with friends.

Did you have fun trying out karate?
    When we need to do karate on the show we had choreographers teaching us the moves, but I really enjoy doing the kicks. I lived in New York for five years prior to this and while I was there I did mainly theater. I did a lot of dance so getting into karate was a little easier for me.

What is your favorite part of filming the show?
    I would say the ever-changing script. I love coming into work knowing that the script will be different and there will be a challenge.

Do you ever get to do improv?
    If we have an idea where we think will be fun I often seek our head writer. Sometimes if you think of something in the middle of a scene it is good to go just forward with it and see how they like it. You can try and sometimes you will fail but what if that idea is a huge hit. It is good to improv.

Do you prefer dramatic roles over comedic pieces?
    This is my first comedic role, so it is hard for me to say. They are very different fields but I love the freedom of comedy.

How did you get your start in acting?
    Well, back in Alabama my sister would take me to her musical theatre rehearsals where I really began to become interested. When I was four they asked me to go on stage and smile then run off this is where the directors noticed I could take direction very well. I was then cast as ‘Tiny Tim’ and has blossomed ever since.

Do you want to pursue singing down the line?
    Yes I do, but that would be a little ****her down the road.

What would one of your ultimate career goals be?
    I would love to continue with acting for as long as possible and see where that leads me. My back up plan is going into aerospace engineering or computer engineering, but for now I will focus on acting.

What actors do you look up to?
    I really look up to Tom Hanks and Matthew Modine. These are very great actors but would definitely love to mirror my career after Tom Hanks.

Do you have any big summer plans?
    We will still be filming during summer but over weekends and hiatus I want to go to the beach. I feel awesome beach waves in my future.
    I caught Mylie Cyrus on SNL (a repeat) last Saturday and they were doing this skit about how to act like a Disney star. It was amusing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My 8yr old nephew come to visit this past weekend and forced me to watch all the episodes that were available on on-demand.

I liked it. The show is completely predictable with ages old slapstick, but will remind anyone who ever joined a martial arts school during thier formative years and formed strong friendships at some time with a group there, of the fun/fond memories of such a place. The show focuses more on the situational comedy aspect more than martial arts/fighting, but in every episode there has been a sequence or few to make sure they get some flipping and kicking in. In addition, I like ages old slapstick and comedy and still get some laughs from it. Then to top it off they throw in some basic morality to keep the show on a positive note for young viewers.

I will likely even watch it if I happen the chance, when my nephew is not around.

Two thumbs up here for 'Kickin' It!'.

New on our ezine!

Read Grant Balfour's interview - Leo Howard Kicks It
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

season 3

Top-Rated, no less.
    [11/05/12 - 10:42 AM]Disney XD Picks Up a Third Season of Top-Rated Martial Arts-Inspired Series, "Kickin' It"
    Production resumes in Hollywood in January on the new season.

Disney XD kicks into high gear and orders a third season of the top-rated comedy series "Kickin' It," it was announced today by Adam Bonnett, Senior Vice President, Original Programming, Disney Channels Worldwide. Season Three of the popular series will follow the crew of lovable misfits at Bobby Wasabi Martial Arts Academy as they embark on new adventures outside the dojo. Production resumes in Hollywood in January.

"Disney XD viewers have clearly connected with this series about friendship and martial arts," said Bonnett. "We look forward to telling more stories in Season Three, where our characters use their martial arts knowledge and skills out in the world, taking their 'mojo' out of the dojo!"

Created by Emmy-nominated Jim O'Doherty ("Grounded for Life," "3rd Rock from the Sun") and executive produced by J.J. Wall ("Til Death," "Brothers") and O'Doherty, the series stars Jason Earles, black-belt martial artist Leo Howard, Mateo Arias, Dylan Riley Snyder and Olivia Holt.

Beginning today, and airing every consecutive Monday in November during the 7:30 p.m. ET/PT telecast, as part of a Nintendo Wii U sponsorship on Disney XD, the cast of "Kickin' It" and the cast of Disney Channel's "Jessie" will be featured in a series of interstitials, going head to head in a Wii U showdown.

New episodes of "Kickin' It" air Monday nights on Disney XD. The series is produced by It's A Laugh Productions, Inc. and carries a TV-Y7 parental guideline.

Disney XD is a basic cable channel and multi-platform brand showcasing a compelling mix of live-action and animated programming for Kids age 6-14, hyper-targeting boys and their quest for discovery, accomplishment, sports, adventure and humor. Disney XD branded content spans television, online, mobile and VOD platforms. The programming includes series, movies and short-form, as well as sports-themed programming developed with ESPN. In the U.S., Disney XD is seen on a 24-hour, advertiser supported network that reaches over 78 million households via its basic cable and satellite affiliates. Disney XD channels are in the UK, France, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Poland, Greece, Turkey, Latin America, Japan, Germany, Austria, Switzerland and The Netherlands among other countries.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips