Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
Apart from JKD real street fighting schools and those schools like krav maga etc....I never got anything like this from my old TMA school so maybe we should start a thread about how they lack these things....I did do knife work in my TCMA classes but it sucked and would likely get me killed if I used it, same with the multiple opponents stuff, why because none of it was pressured tested it was nearly all complaint walk through stuff, we never went really hard or tried to hurt each other.
This ISN't about tma versus mma. Even if it were revealing the sins of TMA doesn't absolve mma of its.

Interestingly a lot of the JKD guys moved AWAY from this kind of training towards a more sports based approach, believing it was healthier and prepared them for real life confrontations better (matt Thornton, Paul Sharp, Burt Richardson the singer brothers etc)
That doesn't really make any sense. Jkd has always been about training street situations with a live opponent. Burton's website. http://jkdunlimited.com/videos/ They have added grappling, but I think that it would be hard to say that they have moved away from their core beliefs. Inosanto, Balicki, and others all do the same things as Richardson.

The best knife defence work I have ever seen didn’t come from a TMA or a Filipino school, it comes from a Greco roman wrestler and BJJ black belt who gave up JKD and Filipino knife stuff AFTER being stabbed by multiple opponents and developed a programme based around controlling the knife arm and the opponent using his sport grappling skills
That's nice but it isn't getting trained in mma schools so it really doesn't detract from my thesis.