Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: David Ross Comment on Self-Defense

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Apart from JKD real street fighting schools and those schools like krav maga etc....I never got anything like this from my old TMA school so maybe we should start a thread about how they lack these things....I did do knife work in my TCMA classes but it sucked and would likely get me killed if I used it, same with the multiple opponents stuff, why because none of it was pressured tested it was nearly all complaint walk through stuff, we never went really hard or tried to hurt each other.
    This ISN't about tma versus mma. Even if it were revealing the sins of TMA doesn't absolve mma of its.

Interestingly a lot of the JKD guys moved AWAY from this kind of training towards a more sports based approach, believing it was healthier and prepared them for real life confrontations better (matt Thornton, Paul Sharp, Burt Richardson the singer brothers etc)
    That doesn't really make any sense. Jkd has always been about training street situations with a live opponent. Burton's website. http://jkdunlimited.com/videos/ They have added grappling, but I think that it would be hard to say that they have moved away from their core beliefs. Inosanto, Balicki, and others all do the same things as Richardson.

The best knife defence work I have ever seen didn’t come from a TMA or a Filipino school, it comes from a Greco roman wrestler and BJJ black belt who gave up JKD and Filipino knife stuff AFTER being stabbed by multiple opponents and developed a programme based around controlling the knife arm and the opponent using his sport grappling skills
    That's nice but it isn't getting trained in mma schools so it really doesn't detract from my thesis.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    Incorrect understanding of how to properly construct a bil jee or any eye gouge and apply it. you should have no problem hitting a hard surface.

Edit:
    The Bil Jee is thrown in a manner akin to the flicker jab in boxing. Moreover, the bil jee is constructed so that the fingers are curled and collapse when they hit a solid surface. As stated above, if you were taught to throw a bil jee so that it pierces a rmellon, you were shown incorrectly.

finger flicks are exactly what we did. but they were always pulled - no face shield, no actual contact, as I stated previously. We also raked the eyes - but never with contact. My point isn't about the shield itself. it is about the technique.... the eyes are a small target your opponent doesn't want you to hit them. any number of things can happen - your aim can be off, he can rush in with his head low, etc. And you end up colliding with his forehead which could prove to be quite painful. even with the collapsing, your forward momentum vs my forward momentum and direct collision with my skull...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

That doesn't really make any sense. Jkd has always been about training street situations with a live opponent. Burton's website. http://jkdunlimited.com/videos/ They have added grappling, but I think that it would be hard to say that they have moved away from their core beliefs. Inosanto, Balicki, and others all do the same things as Richardson.
    Check out straight blast gym. They don't even trap anymore. their trapping range work has been replaced by clinch work, and the clinch is what is more likely to happen in a situation.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

This ISN't about tma versus mma. Even if it were revealing the sins of TMA doesn't absolve mma of its. .
    but what you dont seem to get is there are no sin's to reveal, most MMA gyms dont sell their products as being for the street, they admit its for the ring/cage, and those that do sell it as self defence offer different classes for this. Its not like london shootfighting or gracie barra are running around saying they can prepare you for the street and making false promises like some TMA schools i can mention

That doesn't really make any sense. Jkd has always been about training street situations with a live opponent. Burton's website. http://jkdunlimited.com/videos/ They have added grappling, but I think that it would be hard to say that they have moved away from their core beliefs. Inosanto, Balicki, and others all do the same things as Richardson. .
    Burton didnt just add grappling, his exposure to grappling and MMA under Egan totally changed how he trained and viewed training and most in the JKD crowd hated him for it and his writings about it.

He ditched all the trapping, complicated knife and stick flows dumog etc and now spars and trains MMA and adapts those methods for his self defence stuff, but he is not typical of JKD guys, they hate him for the most part. In fact if it wasnt for Dan insanto taking BJJ and thai most of the JKD guys would still be doing lock flows and trapping and not full on sparring

That's nice but it isn't getting trained in mma schools so it really doesn't detract from my thesis.
    Yes isnt it nice , and since the guy runs a full time MMA and grappling school, and is head of a chain of school here in the UK that produces national and international competitiors in both arena's (as well as teaching his guys to defend against a knife) wouldnt you call them MMA gyms?

Quote Originally Posted by SevenStar View Post
    Check out straight blast gym. They don't even trap anymore. their trapping range work has been replaced by clinch work, and the clinch is what is more likely to happen in a situation.
    That's one of the "ranges" I never really understood. good riddance to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=6azN...eature=related
    Last edited by rogue; 07-30-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Hey, don't go dissing the trapping!

You wouldn't give up your check kicks and hand techniques?

Thing I like about trapping, is that it attacks centre of gravity, without the commitment of grappling.

I wouldn't say its preferable to grappling, just a different skill. Really nice skill when it comes to surprising people. The way their eyeballs get all round and show the white when they realise they're farked....

Side note -

I noticed Seven and a bunch of the other MMA vets have come back all at the same time. What's the story? They close down the free Ladies Nacho Cheese wrestling website, or what?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    I noticed Seven and a bunch of the other MMA vets have come back all at the same time. What's the story? They close down the free Ladies Nacho Cheese wrestling website, or what?
    There was a Nacho Cheese Ladies Wrestling site? WTF and no one told me? Please tell me I didn't miss any ninjettes......

It's still up

Nacho Cheese Ladies Wrestling website

Seven and the other MMA vets are back because they know CMA is fun.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart