Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Ross Comment on Self-Defense

David Ross Comment on Self-Defense

Ross makes an interesting comment about people who criticize Sand Da and MMA for not having self-defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxJZ0LfBW4

I think that people accept the idea that MMA and San Da work in all situation and that people can defend themselves with it in the streets. The criticism is that it can require a heavier energy expenditure than necessary to achieve the goal.

A good analogy of using full-on kickboxing to defeat a street fighter is treating a ho like a housewife. I get what I want in the end either way, but one is a bunch of unnecessary effort.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    The criticism is that it can require a heavier energy expenditure than necessary to achieve the goal.
    in a self defense situation would you not be concerned with "getting the job" done? I would rather over do than under because in the end it's my life in a self defense sit. and I will put it all on the line to keep it.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    in a self defense situation would you not be concerned with "getting the job" done? I would rather over do than under because in the end it's my life in a self defense sit. and I will put it all on the line to keep it.
    The criticism is adding more effort towards the same end not the end results changing.

There is some truly brilliant research on adrenaline response and apparent conditioning, functional strenght etc (Taai Gihk lurking about?)

I suggest you read it, really. Because when you understand that in a "real situation" you are going to need to be as conditioned, strong, forceful, whatever word you want to use to get the job done, well

And remember, for "real" if you don't get the job done, you aren't just going to be upset you lost a match

eh, and also, again, the more resistance and alive training you do the better your adrenaline response will be

just saying
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    There is some truly brilliant research on adrenaline response and apparent conditioning, functional strenght etc (Taai Gihk lurking about?)

I suggest you read it, really. Because when you understand that in a "real situation" you are going to need to be as conditioned, strong, forceful, whatever word you want to use to get the job done, well

And remember, for "real" if you don't get the job done, you aren't just going to be upset you lost a match

eh, and also, again, the more resistance and alive training you do the better your adrenaline response will be

just saying
    My point has nothing to do with training method. I am not opposed to conditioning, functional strength, mma, kickboxing, cross-training, nor San Da. I am only making the point that we kickboxers and mma-ist don't always package nice efficient ways of dealing with street fighters thus expending too much energy to get a job done or as I said, "Treating a ho like a housewife."
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-28-2010 at 12:56 PM.

It sounds like Ross has a good program that he offers.

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    It sounds like Ross has a good program that he offers.
    He does. It is only a minor point that I am making. We reality fighters spend a lot of time preparing for the best competition instead of for the competition that we probably got into martial arts to stop in the first place. Hence, we might need 6 moves to defeat a street fighter instead of 2 because we don't capitalize on his inherent flaws. IMO, if I encounter a streetfighter and I wind up assuming a stance, putting my hands up, and throwing a couple of jabs then I have messed up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    The criticism is adding more effort towards the same end not the end results changing.
    A tiger will fight a rabbit the same way as to fight against a lion. The reason is simple. That tiger doesn't know any other way. Is that bad? I don't think so.

Of course you only need to be just a little bit better than your opponent and not showing off too much. Like my friend used to say that his opponent wasn't good enough for him to pull out his best moves yet. But how many people can reach to that level?
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 07-28-2010 at 01:48 PM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    the simplest answers are usually the best. Like someone stated above I would rather train against someone resistant and under pressure than to train for the what ifs and I would do this type of thing. Real fights are not carbon copies of what your 2 step sparring or forms give you. getting complex movements is just crap, train the simple ones thousands of times and get the muscle memory instant, that is what matters.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Ross makes an interesting comment about people who criticize Sand Da and MMA for not having self-defense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzxJZ0LfBW4

I think that people accept the idea that MMA and San Da work in all situation and that people can defend themselves with it in the streets. The criticism is that it can require a heavier energy expenditure than necessary to achieve the goal.

A good analogy of using full-on kickboxing to defeat a street fighter is treating a ho like a housewife. I get what I want in the end either way, but one is a bunch of unnecessary effort.
    So what could you use to defeat him that would require less energy?confused:

I am very confused and maybe I don’t understand the point you are making but in MMA and grappling I am trained to find my opponents weaknesses and take him out, against a skilled BJJ guy that might take 5 minutes, against a newbie he will be tapping in seconds, against a good Thai guy I might need to throw faints, set combinations up, but against a new guy my simple 1, 2 might find a home and job done. We don’t look to make fights complicated we look to finish them quickly, but if the other guys good then things get complicated all by themselves

In my opinion a street fight and self defense aren't really the same thing, though they do over lap. But that's just the way I look at things.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    In my opinion a street fight and self defense aren't really the same thing, though they do over lap. But that's just the way I look at things.
    This takes me back to the thread we had earlier this year, where most people agreed that their streetfights had been way easier than their competition fights, for the most part.

Guns, knives and home invasions excepted....

But, its all about the stakes....
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    So what could you use to defeat him that would require less energy?confused:

I am very confused and maybe I don’t understand the point you are making but in MMA and grappling I am trained to find my opponents weaknesses and take him out, against a skilled BJJ guy that might take 5 minutes, against a newbie he will be tapping in seconds, against a good Thai guy I might need to throw faints, set combinations up, but against a new guy my simple 1, 2 might find a home and job done. We don’t look to make fights complicated we look to finish them quickly, but if the other guys good then things get complicated all by themselves
    Just on a very basic level, as I said above, getting if you square up on someone like you are in a ring you have committed a huge mistake in a street fight. IMO, as soon as you get in a stance/ on guard you let your opponent know that you know something and put yourself at greater risk to get stabbed or shot. Why would you let your opponent know that you are coming? This is a difference between a ring fight and a street fight. In the ring I have to display to the referee, judges, and on some level my opponent that I understand why I am there and that I am ready to defend myself. This is not the case in a street fight.

If I never got into a stance and punched someone on the street I am much better off than squaring up. That would be self-defense 101 versus ring 101 which says to keep my hands up and appear to be making an intelligent attempt to defend myself.

Beyond that, it is doing things like putting on eye protection and practicing a bil jee, role-playing various street-fighting scenarios. Discuss how to use the environment. Reminding people to look for weapons in the environment. Discuss how to hit people when your hands aren't taped.

Does your gym practice 2-1, 3-1, and so on? Sure you can kickbox your way out of all of that, but it might be better to consider some of these situations and what are some ways to get out of them without squaring up to each guy and fighting them one one one.
    Last edited by HumbleWCGuy; 07-28-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    A tiger will fight a rabbit the same way as to fight against a lion. The reason is simple. That tiger doesn't know any other way. Is that bad? I don't think so.

Of course you only need to be just a little bit better than your opponent and not showing off too much. Like my friend used to say that his opponent wasn't good enough for him to pull out his best moves yet. But how many people can reach to that level?
    Fighters tend to be true to their character. A boxer remains a boxer, a slugger remains a slugger, a grappler will still grapple. However, grenerally speaking, if a fighter goes out and makes no adjustments in a fighting situation, it shows a lack of polish.

Just on a very basic level, as I said above, getting if you square up on someone like you are in a ring you have committed a huge mistake in a street fight. IMO, as soon as you get in a stance/ on guard you let your opponent know that you know something and put yourself at greater risk to get stabbed or shot. Why would you let your opponent know that you are coming? This is a difference between a ring fight and a street fight. In the ring I have to display to the referee, judges, and on some level my opponent that I understand why I am there and that I am ready to defend myself. This is not the case in a street fight.

If I never got into a stance and punched someone on the street I am much better off than squaring up. That would be self-defense 101 versus ring 101 which says to keep my hands up and appear to be making an intelligent attempt to defend myself.

Beyond that, it is doing things like putting on eye protection and practicing a bil jee, role-playing various street-fighting scenarios. Discuss how to use the environment. Reminding people to look for weapons in the environment. Discuss how to hit people when your hands aren't taped.

Does your gym practice 2-1, 3-1, and so on? Sure you can kickbox your way out of all of that, but it might be better to consider some of these situations and what are some ways to get out of them without squaring up to each guy and fighting them one one one.
    yep my MMA coach is a student and friend of geoff thompson and the coach at the other gym i train at does security for a few people so we have trained the fence, done some self defence and 2 on 1, 3 on 1, its a small part of our training but it is done on occasion. personally in a mulitpul situation if i cant blast a hole i want a shield (and its back to standing
    grappling for me!)

do people really train finger strikes to the eyes,? not being funny but the risk reward to me is too great, if you hit bone or miss and break your fingers then what?

For self defence if you want something more serious than the normal fist id go with the PE fist, harder less prone to injury and can still be used to attack the eyes etc

MMA guys use the enviroment all the time in the cage or the ring, its not too much of an extension for them to use the wall, table floor etx and doesnt take too much time out of normal training to practise
    Last edited by Frost; 07-29-2010 at 04:01 AM.