Thread: what does your style have and how often is it trained

what does your style have and how often is it trained

One of David Ross's threads got me thinking about this point. He ased what is your style
    1) A kicking style
    2) A long range hand style
    3) A short range hand style
    4) A grappling style
    5) All of the above
    6) None of the above
    7) Defies these classifications

Several people answered there style was 1,2,3,4 or there about's, my question is how often do you train these different ranges and with what methods. Do you cover each range every week and in a way that allows you to spar and work against resistance or do you specialize in one or two areas and only cover the rest marginally?

For instance it’s one thing to say your style is long and short range, but if you spent most of the time practising short range techniques and maybe do a few long range strikes and kicks every other month is your style really, long and short?

Is your style truly a grappling style if all you do is practise some compliant standing locks every other week for a few minutes?

How do people insure they cover all areas equally and in a way that makes them confident they can use these skills in real life?

I do sanshou and it has all the above. I have been so entrenched into the sports aspect, my self-defense has gone kaput. Not that I do not have any primal self-defense methods to fall back on, but I practise seperately from my sanshou. Mainly because I want to avoid mixing it up and pull off something illegal in comp.

I train everyday, but I focus on different aspects of training everyday. I spend 50% of the time researching now and 50% training nowadays, since I am taking more coaching role these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    One of David Ross's threads got me thinking about this point. He ased what is your style
    1) A kicking style
    2) A long range hand style
    3) A short range hand style
    4) A grappling style
    5) All of the above
    6) None of the above
    7) Defies these classifications

Several people answered there style was 1,2,3,4 or there about's, my question is how often do you train these different ranges and with what methods. Do you cover each range every week and in a way that allows you to spar and work against resistance or do you specialize in one or two areas and only cover the rest marginally?

For instance it’s one thing to say your style is long and short range, but if you spent most of the time practising short range techniques and maybe do a few long range strikes and kicks every other month is your style really, long and short?

Is your style truly a grappling style if all you do is practise some compliant standing locks every other week for a few minutes?

How do people insure they cover all areas equally and in a way that makes them confident they can use these skills in real life?
    Very few people are going to train and be good at everything equally, we tend to train and use techniques we are good at. You can say I train all of these but how good are you at these really.

I'll use GSP as an example, he is one of the best all around fighters on the planet. But if you watch his last probably 5 or 6 fights he uses his wrestling much more than his stand up to win fights. Since there are very few of us who could even compare to GSP in terms of skills, isn't if safe to say he uses his wrestling and ground skills more than anything else, which means he specializes in this area.

What I am trying to get at is you can and should train all areas, but there will always be areas you are best at and use the most.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Very few people are going to train and be good at everything equally, we tend to train and use techniques we are good at. You can say I train all of these but how good are you at these really.

I'll use GSP as an example, he is one of the best all around fighters on the planet. But if you watch his last probably 5 or 6 fights he uses his wrestling much more than his stand up to win fights. Since there are very few of us who could even compare to GSP in terms of skills, isn't if safe to say he uses his wrestling and ground skills more than anything else, which means he specializes in this area.

What I am trying to get at is you can and should train all areas, but there will always be areas you are best at and use the most.

true but my point was not are you equally good at all areas, rather do you train all areas equally or enough to be able to actually compete in them?

for instance i train standup, MMA and grappling weekly i spar weekly so i can say with confidence i have kicks, long range and short range techniques and grappling in my personal style, now am i equally good at all those areas...hell know my grappling is much better than my striking...but i can strike and hang with good people if i have to.

If your style has some moves than can be used in the clinch but you never spar there...., and a few long range movements but is mostly a short range style and thats where you spent 80% of your time training, then does your style really one that can be said to have grappling and long strieks in a realistic way?

likewise if you are a long range style but your instructor tells you these moves can also be used at close range, but never really lets you try them out and spar at this range beyond doing a few drills every other month, then does your art really have short range strikes in a way that is practical and useful?

in the family style i study,we have most of the above. what i was taught was to perfect "skills" techniques fall apart alot of the times under pressure,so if your technique is off a little your "skill" will make up the difference. you have to look at (in my humble opinion) self defense different than,"fighting" or "sparring". a fight should end immediately,1-4 moves,do not trade punches. sometimes it may not can be helped,but you should strive to end the fight in 1-4 moves. every fight should be taken as a life and death situation,because anything could happen,you could slip and hit your head,or the opponent could fall on you and hit your head or break your leg,then you are at the mercy of the opponent. remember,
    "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".

I would say what I practice is JKD/MMA. The instructor is certified in JKD instruction, but has a purple belt in BJJ. He also does Catch Wrestling, and has affiliation with Erik Paulson's Combat Submission Wrestling.

So we cover boxing, kicking, and grappling. Some of the students there compete in local MMA tournaments as well, but it isn't the focus of the school itself.

Lately more has been focused on grappling than stand up fighting.
    I have a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    in the family style i study,we have most of the above. what i was taught was to perfect "skills" techniques fall apart alot of the times under pressure,so if your technique is off a little your "skill" will make up the difference. you have to look at (in my humble opinion) self defense different than,"fighting" or "sparring". a fight should end immediately,1-4 moves,do not trade punches. sometimes it may not can be helped,but you should strive to end the fight in 1-4 moves. every fight should be taken as a life and death situation,because anything could happen,you could slip and hit your head,or the opponent could fall on you and hit your head or break your leg,then you are at the mercy of the opponent. remember,
    "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6".
    Are you able to end your sparring matches in 1-4 moves? If not than how do you plan on doing it "for real"?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    you can and should train all areas, but there will always be areas you are best at and use the most.
    Agree 100% there. One of my guys doesn't like to train striking. He has full time job, wife, and kids. He doesn't like to get hit on the head that much. But he can wrap 80% of his opponent's punches by using underhook, overhook, head lock, bear hug, ... and turn his opponent's striking game into his favor grappling game.

In TCMA, everytime you train a form, you should be training all of these...

The state that resembles a middle finger.

forms have there place but I have never seen a form teach clinch or grappling basics.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    Forms training only teaches you to be better at performing forms.