Thread: "alive"

"alive"

I think that it is worthwhile to test ideas in realistic scenarios.

I think the idea of "alive" or "live" covers this.

I think it is mentally retarded to say that "a" is "alive" but "b" is not.
    I think it is mentally retarded to continue to visit and revisit a strawman that is built by ignorance and presupposition and then knocking it down with ideas about aliveness.

Gimme a break with this stuff. If you don't understand the concept of actually testing your mettle to verify your training? Then you aren't gonna get it here either.

This whole thing is a sham and a put on that is used to prop up one guy's training over another.
    It's bullshit
    Kung Fu is good for you.

all alive means to me is train spontaneously. This is after a person has a good grasp of technique - so how do you get that grasp on technique? Drilling, forms, one-steps etc. I think all that stuff can train you the initial technique... but that's where it stops. Controlled spontaneous reactions get you whole lot f a r ther. Free form gets you further still. Live Sparring / Randori / shiai gets you almost all the way. Not sure what it takes to get to the end...
    Last edited by MightyB; 07-30-2010 at 06:40 AM. Reason: ****her is a swear word????

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I think that it is worthwhile to test ideas in realistic scenarios.

I think the idea of "alive" or "live" covers this.

I think it is mentally retarded to say that "a" is "alive" but "b" is not.
    I think it is mentally retarded to continue to visit and revisit a strawman that is built by ignorance and presupposition and then knocking it down with ideas about aliveness.

Gimme a break with this stuff. If you don't understand the concept of actually testing your mettle to verify your training? Then you aren't gonna get it here either.

This whole thing is a sham and a put on that is used to prop up one guy's training over another.
    It's bullshit
    i suppose if you dont actually understand the concept as its being talked about then you would think this yes

Many people I see using it don't really describe it well, which means they may not actually understand it either. Or they may just understand the concept in regards to their view of the world.

Instead of using "alive" (which IMO is a vague and not entirely accurate description) use "tested" or something.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    i suppose if you dont actually understand the concept as its being talked about then you would think this yes
    dude, i understand teh concept of testing skills you've been working on. my point is that "alive" is not a concept it's marketing bullshit being used to sell old ideas by gloosing them up as something special and different.

I'm down with going easy on the cyptic. Being into CHinese martial arts for so long, I get a laugh out of "Black Crow spreads it's wings" as well, but I understand the concept of what it is.

Using "alive" as a whole new way of thinking is rot though. It's as old as ass.

the jargon that portends to offer something new in fighting, which is also old as ass is skewing as much as any other cryptic joint.

see what m sayin?

Kung Fu is good for you.

I like to get punched in the face and I like to punch people in the face more. If Bawang tell me does Chinese Jesus approve I am ok.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    dude, i understand teh concept of testing skills you've been working on. my point is that "alive" is not a concept it's marketing bullshit being used to sell old ideas by gloosing them up as something special and different.

I'm down with going easy on the cyptic. Being into CHinese martial arts for so long, I get a laugh out of "Black Crow spreads it's wings" as well, but I understand the concept of what it is.

Using "alive" as a whole new way of thinking is rot though. It's as old as ass.

the jargon that portends to offer something new in fighting, which is also old as ass is skewing as much as any other cryptic joint.

see what m sayin?

Sorry but you seem to not understand the term as it is being used on the other threads.

It does not mean just testing the sills you have been working on, it refers to a specific way to train those skills where three things must be present: energy, movement and timing and the three I's (indroduction, isolation, intergration)are the way to train them, before you call bull on something maybe you should actually understand it first?

And Matt thornton the guy who coined it has never claimed its new or original, indeed he says that guys from a sports back ground (any sport, tennis, rugby wrestling etc) will look at him like he is silly and say well thats how we have always trained so what?

By the way i am not being a d!ck just trying to get across that it means more than just sparring, at least in the context people are talking about on the other threads and you need to understand it in its proper context
    Last edited by Frost; 07-30-2010 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Sorry but you seem to not understand the term as it is being used on the other threads.

It does not mean just testing the sills you have been working on, it refers to a specific way to train those skills where three things must be present: energy, movement and timing and the three I's (indroduction, isolation, intergration)are the way to train them, before you call bull on something maybe you should actually understand it first?

And Matt thornton the guy who coined it has never claimed its new or original, indeed he says that guys from a sports back ground (any sport, tennis, rugby wrestling etc) will look at him like he is silly and say well thats how we have always trained so what
    I think David is not so much bagging on Thornton, as bagging on the idea that it is really a unique method of its own.

For instance, the whole 3 I's thing is silly. If you don't introduce something and practice it in isolation, you can't integrate it, but everyone ever learning ANYTHING does this. It just stinks of catchphrasism.

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    I think David is not so much bagging on Thornton, as bagging on the idea that it is really a unique method of its own.

For instance, the whole 3 I's thing is silly. If you don't introduce something and practice it in isolation, you can't integrate it, but everyone ever learning ANYTHING does this. It just stinks of catchphrasism.
    im actually not sure he is seeing aliveness in the same way thornton is, thats my only point, its not about just testing your stuff, its about how you train and the method you use

They dont really, a lot of places miss the isolation stage out...for instance i have been to a few BJJ clubs where you are shown lots of subs then you roll, guess what you cant pull them off because you didnt spend time isolating them against increasing resistance , i have seen guys shown introduced to hooks and then after a bit told to spar , they have trouble making them work because they didnt isolate them to get the timing down.

its a good process, is it unique to matt, no but then SBG likes to put names to things and it can get a bit silly, my favourites are stoned squirell and the shoulder of justice

Thumbs up

oops.

"staying alive" is a pop song from bee gees in the 1970s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpjQs0WZEC4&feature=fvst