• yes once in a while or not important

2 14.29%
  • a little, some, but not that frequent

4 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tan tui?

Do you tan tui?

Tan Tui is popular and incorporated into many northern styles.

do you practice some kind of tan tui.

there are 10 or 12 roads depending on your schools of styles.

there is also Tan Tui Men or tan tui school all by itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2da_YijN9U

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I teach the first three roads to our beginners. The rest are if they are truly interested in learning them. The first three, I have altered a bit to better fit in with Hung-Ga.
    I got the idea after seeing a Hsing-Yi Tan Tuie.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

i first learned the 12 roads method from a jing wu school. later, i learned a 10 roads variation. i still prefer the 12 roads method.

Blog Entries
    It's good for beginner level training. But one can't stay in elementary school all his life. I still like to use the 2nd road from 10 roads Tan Tui for basic drill (grab and punch, kick and punch, punch).
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-31-2011 at 04:44 PM.

Yes, 10 roads from the prelim work in BSL.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I like to warm up for class with all ten routines from Ma Zhenbang - going across the floor of the gym (right side, left side, etc.) with each individual routine.

I did the 10 from BSL

I haven't recited it in a very long time. I still remember it well as it was one of my fundamental ones, but it fell out of my practice years ago.

I posted the lyrics here nearly a decade ago...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    If we look at the Tantui form. The 1st road from 0.1 to 0.25, she holds her back arm straight. The purpose is to develop the maximum body extention (right arm, chest, left arm are all on a straight line) during the beginner training stage. That back arm serves no combat purpose. If you do your Tantui for 20 years, will you still hold your back arm like that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2da_YijN9U

what does the method result in when you do that?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    what does the method result in when you do that?
    Are you asking me? Not sure I understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    Are you asking me? Not sure I understand your question.
    Yes, I am asking if you know why the back is left extended.
    It isn't combat purposed, but there may be a purpose to it that is beyond the
    presentation look of it.

For instance, I learned a qigong called golden needle long ago. In essence it is for breath and blood regulation and awareness and involves holding your hands in the air for extended period of time. This in turn makes you aware of blood flow and allows you to start the regulation of it through habitualization of movement. arms up a lot means the blood flow has to go further. The body adapts and will do so. If you can keep your arms up longer, this is a good defensive result from the practice.

Over time, keeping the limbs up is no longer part of what is tiring you. I wonder if that is also the purpose of limb extension and holding within tan tui.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we look at the Tantui form. The 1st road from 0.1 to 0.25, she holds her back arm straight. The purpose is to develop the maximum body extention (right arm, chest, left arm are all on a straight line) during the beginner training stage. That back arm serves no combat purpose. If you do your Tantui for 20 years, will you still hold your back arm like that?
    YouKnowWho:

You can not take forms that literally! They are training tool, that's it. You can not look at all the postures and positions in forms and relate them to combat. Many postures or positions have other purposes than combat:

Teaching structure to a beginner
    Historical / Cultural / Ethnic purpose
    Performance / Flavor / Personal interpretation of the movement
    Health / Qigong postition

Forms are not strictly a recreation of combat but a tool for people to use while practicing kung fu.

My personal opinion is that forms started gaining popularity when firearms took over as the main form of military combat. At this point Kung Fu Sifu's started using more forms as a way to market and advertise themselves. Forms were presented at all events, town centers, carnivals etc etc so as not to lose their life style.

ginosifu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    as John stated, the front thrust punch with the rear arm extended teaches the student proper alignment for the jik kuen, or jab. The bow stance is an "open bow" stance, meaning that the kwa is opened, and hips turned. The weight lands on the front foot. In this way, there is proper weight distribution, hip alignment, waist and shoulder/arm alignment. It is the "drop-step lead," as taught by Jack Dempsey....oh and Bruce Lee! :-)
    It is a teaching aid.
    "From the large, comes the small."
    Once the student understands this, he can shorten up his stance and posture, keep the rear hand in guard, and have proper alignment, hence power generation in the jik kuen/jab.
    Now, as John stated, do you still practice this once all the prerequisites are firmly in place?
    I do. I use it as reinforcement.
    People start to "drift," in their structure/form, so this maintains proper form.
    The health benefits are also noted, and the stretching and opening up of the body's joints, sinews and channels are of great importance in maintaining health and vigor into old age.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    I try not to pay attention on "health" and "performance" issues and only concentrate on "combat" issue. How can I kill 2 birds with 1 stone by integrating my solo training and partner training into 1? My conclusion is my solo training should be just my partner training without partner. By doing that, I'll have plenty of solo drills and I no longer need Tantui any more.

I prefer to spend my training time on the following Cung Le's combo than on my Tantui drills. The reason is simple. I can use it in combat without any modification. If I do Cung Le's combo left and right, it will have no difference from the Tantui training.

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/2...1092556new.gif

the rear arm extended is an older version of chambering the fist.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC