Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tiger Claw's KungFuMagazine.com Championship III & Shark City Nationals

There are actually two tournaments.

This is a vid montage from the Sport Karate side. It's really about last year's event, but I'm going to use it just to ttt this year. Shark City promoter Tony Kattengell facebooked it on my page and I just gotta share.

Shark City Beautiful People.mp4
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

trophies

For some reason, in the Bay Area, they don't give out trophies in Chinese martial arts, only medals. Because our tournament is a co-op with Shark City, and sport karate is all about trophies, we award trophies too. You can also win plaques in certain divisions, as well as prizes in select exhibition divisions like the Songshan Shaolin Champion and the WildAid Tiger Claw Champion.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can't we all just get along?

I can dig it. My late shifu told me that when doing a "traditional" taolu, one should still perform it with "modern wushu" - like exuberance and dynamics, and when performing a "modern wushu" taolu one should still perform it with real power and martial intent. That said though, just "tricking" without any context or at least minimal martial application should not win any one a high score or victory in my opinion.
    I have always been one to downplay the apparent schism between "traditional" and "modern" wushu. I still basically see them as one. I know that might be a bit radical in today's environment, but I get it from my late shifu and shizu, what can I say. The modern approach is very sportlike I'll admit, but, honestly, I love it. Its more of a young man's game of course, but I still do as much as I can. I sort of compare it to the evolution of other sports like basketball or even say boxing. Bob Cousy was great in his day, but may not fair so good if he could be transported some how to today's era. Same with old style boxing greats. I don't know, that's how I see it.
    In any case, traditionalists just have to make sure they are dynamic in their own right, and I see a resurgence occuring which is good. Count me in!
    And, yes, we (a much smaller group now) will come to the banquet. Looking so forward to that. Only myself and my grandson are actually competing now, and I expect him to greatly outshine me! I think I remember extinct species around the last time I seriously competed too! I did compete at the Great Lakes tourney in April, and I learned it's been a long time! But I will just enjoy participating out there with so many preeminent masters and practitioners. Its all about my grandson for me, actually.
    Peace, bredren, and we'll see you there!

Gene, help! He's at it again!

Blog Entries
    hahahahahahahahaha

Blame it on the Pain Meds man!!!!! LMAO
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Nuff respect!

I just read your story, hskwarrior on your link. You are actually a deep dude! Hoping to meet you. You might want to reduce your doses, though, bruh!

Blog Entries
    I just read your story, hskwarrior on your link. You are actually a deep dude! Hoping to meet you. You might want to reduce your doses, though, bruh!
    I'm legal, i'm legal. LOL. thanks brudda.
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Must you degrade every one of my sales pitch threads, hskwarrior?

I'm deleting those posts above, hskwarrior. There are a lot of kids that come to our tournament - it's a family show. Parents are reading this thread from links from our website. I know the rest of the forum is the wild wild west, but please, mind your manners on this particular one.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Tiger Claw`s KungFuMagazine.com Championship III

Sponsored by Tiger Balm!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The WildAid Tiger Claw Champion...

...will win an iPad 2.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

TCKFMCIII Registration Deadlines!

THIS YEAR, TIGER CLAW'S KUNGFUMAGAZINE.COM CHAMPIONSHIP IS PRE-REG ONLY! There is no 'at door' registration. REGISTRATION DEADLINES: NEXT WEDNESDAY: June 1: Last chance to register. To register online, click here.

WELCOMING BANQUET. Friday June 3rd at 7:00 pm at China Stix Restaurant, 2110 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA. $30 a seat (drinks not included). DEADLINE FOR BANQUET RESERVATIONS IS THIS SATURDAY: May 28 - Contact Gigi Oh at Gigi@TCMedia.com or (408) 209-8150.

Tiger Claw`s KungFuMagazine.com Championship III & Shark City Nationals is JUNE 4, 2011 in San Jose CA!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

We just had our second Judges & Volunteers meeting yesterday

Unfortunately, we missed getting a photo of the meeting group that was held last Sunday.

We're taking good care of our judges this year. Each one will receive a 'thank you' gift bag with a Tiger Balm water container, a cool flashlight/tape measure keychain and a pen & pad set from California Bank and Trust, a lanyard from Tiger Claw, a subscription to Kung Fu Tai Chi, and a few more goodies hopefully, if more sponsors come through.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Special gifts for entries in WildAid Tiger Claw & Songshan Shaolin divisions!

Every registered contestant in our special benefit exhibition divisions for the WildAid Tiger Claw Champion and Songshan Shaolin Champion will receive a special gift bag.

In addition to gifts from Tiger Claw, all WildAid entries will receive a baseball cap from Tiger Balm and all Songshan Shaolin entries will receive a T-shirt from Tiger Balm.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Brother,

Next year I will send you out more Dit Da Jow and a Tui Na Oil.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Thanks again, Dale

Your generous support of the WildAid Tiger Claw Champion from the beginning is noble. All the overage that isn't given out to contestants is distributed at the WildAid booth at our tournament for donations to WildAid. I've had several people come up to me since to ask "Where do I get more of that stuff?" You really need to place your website on your label. Keep in mind that we cooperate with Shark City Nationals, which is a sport Karate event and that community isn't as aware of Chinese Jow as they should be (plus I guess they can't just google CDIA ). I love turning Karate guys on to Jow.

I have two announcements for today.

#1 Tomorrow is the deadline to register for our Welcoming Banquet. It's always a lot of fun, great food, great company, and not too formal (but dress nice). If you're in town on Friday, please join us!

#2 The day after the tournament, Grandmaster Liang Shou-Yu will be leading a Qigong Seminar right here at the Kung Fu Tai Chi office. It's open to all levels. If you're interested, contact Gigi Oh, same as above.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips