Thread: who is writing for yanming now?

who is writing for yanming now?

no disrespect to the man, but who's writing this stuff for him? these arent his personal claims are they?

but i'm glad to hear that his capital campaign for a new temple in upsate new york is finally coming together. apparently they've signed a contract for an 85-acre property!

but these writings lend a slightly false impression of his position.

http://www.usashaolintemple.org/newt...uan-challenge/

Currently the Shaolin Temple in China no longer accepts and trains young disciples in Martial arts or Chan Buddhism, as the Temple in China operates today as a heritage site preserving the physical premises for tourism.
    this isnt true, entirely.

In general, there exists in China a void as the martial arts training has been split and separated from the Chan Buddhist training. The martial arts education at Chinese Kung Fu schools does not incorporate the Chan Buddhist principles brought to China 1500 years earlier by Bodhidarma.
    but the various martial arts schools are not the monastery, and do not represent it.

Unless a Shaolin Temple is recreated within Shifu Shi Yan Ming's lifetime, the knowledge, history, philosophy, and traditions of Shaolin Temple will be lost forever.
    thats a bold statement. shi yanming has the qualifications of the knowledge, philosophy, and traditions? if he dies before building a new temple it will be lost forever? seriously?

Shifu is the last monk trained in the Shaolin tradition.
    http://www.usashaolintemple.org/newt...uan-challenge/
    no.

It is imperative that a Shaolin Temple is recreated in his lifetime so that the knowledge, history, and wisdom can be passed on to the future generations.
    again, he is not the only living person with such qualifications.

Shifu Shi Yan Ming will be teaching a seminar in Da Pao Quan. This is the first time it will be taught in America, and you can be a part of this historic moment!
    http://usashaolintemple.org/newtempl...oquan-seminar/
    so no one has ever taught dapaoquan in america before yanming?

who is writing this stuff? they've gone way off the deep end.

That looks like a fluff piece to encourage donations for his new school.

We thought it was you, LFJ

J/K

I've never quite understood the 'First Shaolin whatev' trip. I hear it a lot...1st non-Chinese Shaolin tudi, 1st black Shaolin tudi, 1st eskimo Shaolin tudi, ad nauseum. I suppose 1st one to teach a particular form like dapaoquan is enticing to some. Whatev...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by LFJ View Post
    shi yanming has the qualifications of the knowledge, philosophy, and traditions? if he dies before building a new temple it will be lost forever? seriously?

I had no idea this was in danger of dying out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1_nwlocITA

Snide jokes notwithstanding; I can't begrudge the man for fueling interest in the culture.
    Last edited by wenshu; 07-30-2010 at 01:50 PM.

i think its actually the 1st and 5th duan changquan they practice mostly,

but seriously its exciting what he's doing, if he can get a fully functioning live-in temple going on such a large piece of land here in the u.s.

but these writing say shaolin monastery in china is completely empty now and is only used as a museum. while shi yanming was the last monk to be trained in the tradition, and the only one capable of reinstating the tradition into a new shaolin temple. he's the only one left. if the temple is not built before he goes, then shaolin goes! along with dapaoquan which has never been taught here before.

honestly, i dont think this is his writing at all. but whoever it is needs to make a few corrections. take a step back from usa shaolin temple and learn a bit of whats actually happening in china and around the world.

But will it have a bar?

Anyways, perhaps it is a publicist or someone connected with whatever firm he is employing to help with the fundraising & acquisition who have no knowledge of Shaolin. Thats some serious real estate.

yes, if that figure is accurate, thats quite an amazing property. acquiring that is the first step though, then comes actually building something on it.

i'm interested in seeing how its going to operate as a fully-functioning monastery, whether or not he knows how to run the daily monastic services, or if he's going to recruit some monks from somewhere. it usually takes like five fully ordained monks to actually constitute a sangha anyway, there's not even one there yet.

it'll probably be like a ginormous wushu school/ training ground/ campsite. all you'll hear through the woods is shouts of "more chi, train harder", "merry christmas, happy new year", "amituofo! amituofo! amituofo!" and thunderous pops from all the slapkicks.

and of course it will have a bar. what is a shaolin temple without an abundance of special water for all the celebrations of everyday life?
    Last edited by LFJ; 07-30-2010 at 07:17 PM.