Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sucker Punch

Sucker Punch

Looks better than Thor

Sucker Punch - Official HD Trailer by Zack Snyder

uly 30th, 2010
    12:11 PM ET
    'Sucker Punch' trailer brings girl power

Director Zack Snyder usually delivers comic book-based action, most memorably in the testosterone-fueled box office hit "300."

This time he's gone the opposite route with the all-female action movie "Sucker Punch," starring Emily Browning ("Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events"), Vanessa Hudgens and Jena Malone ("Saved!").

"Punch," though not based on a comic book, was one of the surprise hits from last week's San Diego Comic-Con, and the trailer shown at the convention was posted online earlier this week.

As far as one can tell, it involves a girl named Babydoll (Browning) who is sent to a mental institution, and whose dreams (or reality?) involve samurais, sword fighting, fire-breathing dragons and Gatling gun-wielding giant robots.

Is it any wonder that it was a hit to fans who were raving about early footage from Snyder's "Watchmen" two years ago?

Unlike the other big successes at Comic-Con, like "Scott Pilgrim vs. the World" and the "Avengers" saga, this movie basically came out of nowhere. We'll see if the final product lives up to the excitement over the trailer on March 25, 2011.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

SUCKER PUNCH comic-con press conference:

The cast of "Sucker Punch" held a press conference. Joined by director Zack Snyder and producer Deborah Snyder, the group discussed transitioning from child stardom, the empowerment of fight training and director Snyder's mental state.
    "[I'm] completely schizophrenic," he answered when asked why his stable of films is so diverse. Beginning with "Dawn of the Dead," and following through to "300" and "Watchmen," the director has also completed "Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole" scheduled for a September 2010 release and "Sucker Punch" due out next March.

Each of the performers gave a quick brief on their characters in the film with Malone getting the ball rolling. "I play Rocket. Basically, Babydoll comes to this mental institution and she meets all these characters that she sort of brings into these alternate realities," she explained. "I sort of help rally the troops and form a really beautiful bond with Babydoll. And, you know, I'm kind of crazy."

"I play Blondie - yes, it is ironic," followed Hudgens. "She's in this whole crazy world as well. She starts off as kind of a follower. I feel like, in a lot of the fight sequences, she becomes a total badass, which is kind of funny because it's a complete difference [from my past role]; as well as the whole Blondie thing."

Emily Browning plays Baby Doll, who she described as "the only character whose story you get to see a tiny piece of outside of the asylum. She sort of comes into the institution and has very little time to kind of escape, so she rallies these girls together and gets them to help her escape and for them to escape as well. It sort of goes into her imagination a lot, which was really cool; being at the center of those fantasies."

"[Amber is] kind of the first one to jump onboard with Babydoll's plan," offered Jaime Chung about her character. "She's really sweet and she is extremely loyal to her friends, but, you know, she's always there for Babydoll and she wants to keep the group together. All she really has is her friends left."

Carla Gugino gave a longer take on her character, saying that, "I play a Polish psychiatrist named Dr. Gorski in the asylum, which is sort of the world of the 1960's, but it's kind of Zack's world, so there's a heightened reality to it. In the alternate world, I play the choreographer/madam of the brothel who is Madam Gorski. She just has a really interesting journey because she's clearly been through a lot before. She's in charge of taking care of these girls and she does it in a very strict, tough love way, but there's probably no one who understands them like [she does]."

The group spent three solid months simply training for the necessary stuntwork within the film. "[It] felt a lot like a mental institution," joked Malone. "You're in full wardrobe and you're just pushing past this idea of pain or emotional discomfort…

Mongo like...Mongo not know...Mongo just pawn in chess game of life.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Mongo like...Mongo not know...Mongo just pawn in chess game of life.
    That's good to know. Just don't go around punching horses or squishing guys behind pianos!

new trailer

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can we say Sword Hottie?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Can't wait to see this!

New trailer!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

that was epic gene.

Sucker Punch - this Friday!

I just posted more on Abbie in our Celebrities studying martial arts? thread.

There's vid on this USA Today article - follow the link.
    Abbie Cornish lives the fantasy
    By Andrea Mandell, USA TODAY
    Updated 3h 40m ago |

She's keeping herself busy: Australian actress Abbie Cornish, 28, is currently co-starring in Limitless, which opened Friday. Sucker Punch, in which she plays a sexy heroine named Sweet Pea, opens this week.

LOS ANGELES — Abbie Cornish is a bit turned around inside the sprawling Los Angeles County Museum of Art— until she spots a giant blue Jeff Koons balloon animal.

"This is cool in real life," she says, studying the playful towering steel dog and its neighbor, an oversized Koons cracked egg. The Australian actress has a soft spot for the arts; one of her main criteria shopping for a home in Los Angeles was that it had room for an art studio.

"I used to paint a lot of oil and now I paint more mixed-media stuff," says Cornish, who departs from a rιsumι filled with art house fare this month with two movies rooted in fantasy.

In Limitless, a thriller that opened at No. 1 this weekend, Cornish, 28, plays Lindy, the ex-girlfriend of downbeat writer Eddie (Bradley Cooper) who is introduced to pills that allow for 100% use of his brain. On Friday, Cornish morphs into the kohl-rimmed, bustier-wearing Sweet Pea in the action-fantasy flick Sucker Punch.

"For a while I was searching for a film that had a fantasy element," says Cornish, who grew up watching her mother win karate championships. To prepare for Sucker Punch's intense fight sequences, Cornish trained for three months in mixed martial arts, sword-work and gun training.

"She came so eager to get physical and be physical," says Sucker Punch director Zack Snyder. "I think people will be surprised to see how much an action star she can be."

Hollywood first took note of Cornish in 2004's Australian film Somersault, but it wasn't until 2006's Candy, a heroin-fueled love story co-starring Heath Ledger, that Cornish signed with an American agent. Since then she has chosen roles carefully, including 2008's military dramaStop-Loss and 2009's Bright Star, in which she played the object of John Keats' affection. "For me it's not about constantly working or making money or projecting the future it's just about slow and steady," she says.

In Sucker Punch, Cornish plays a protective older sister imprisoned in an abusive insane asylum. She and her female cohorts (Emily Browning, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens) battle dragons, bombs and bayonets.

"I always wanted to do something where I could utilize all the stuff I grew up with," says Cornish, a vegetarian who grew up on a 170-acre farm. "We were always doing things outdoors, building, climbing, running, jumping, riding horses, swimming in the river, building rafts."

"There's a kind spirit (about her)," says her Limitless co-star Cooper, noting Cornish would break out rapping during breaks on set. "She's unique."

In the museum, Cornish peers closely at an intricately embroidered map of the world. "I kind of want to touch it, but I know I can't," she says with a smile.

The past 12 months have been eventful for the actress. Last February she broke up with Ryan Phillippe, and in the year that followed she cut her hair, found a house in L.A., lost the lead role in The Great Gatsby remake to her pal Carey Mulligan and scored the lead in Madonna's upcoming film W.E., which she shot in October.

Cornish nabbed her role with the pop queen-turned-director via Skype.

"I'd never used Skype before, and I was sitting there on my mum's computer setting up a Skype account," she remembers. "It was really surreal because I was meeting her — she was in New York — I just remember logging on and she's so beautiful and — it's Madonna, you know. It was kind of crazy."

Cornish finishes touring the contemporary wing, and she checks out a map to find Latin American art; she's keen on the region after learning Spanish for her upcoming film The Girl.

Later, in a hushed hallway boasting works from Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera, Cornish, now single, is contemplating her future. "I think it's really important to live in the moment," she says. "Something I've noticed as I get older is that I do think about the future more. It's all positive thinking." For example, she says, "I can see (having) a child one day, and so I start to take more care of myself."

Just outside, a woman shuffles up to Cornish and offers a poem in exchange for a few dollars to buy dinner.

"I'm excited about this poem," says Cornish, sitting down at a picnic table as the woman prepares to deliver a poem she titled, "She's Red Hot Hot."

"That's the one I chose for you," says the stranger. "You seem like you have a spark going on."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More Sucker Punch

We are slated to go to a screener this week, so we'll have something exclusive for you all on opening day. Stay tuned to KFM!
    Girl power: Action heroines pack a 'Punch'
    * By Rafer Guzman Newsday
    * First Posted: March 21, 2011 - 11:26 am
    Last Updated: March 21, 2011 - 11:26 am

NEW YORK — Black undies? Or white?

It was a choice that confronted writer-director Zack Snyder while making "Sucker Punch," a mostly female action-fantasy starring Emily Browning as a gun-toting, sword-swinging killer deceptively named Babydoll. She dispatches zombies and robots with the kind of brutality that made Snyder's mostly male "300" a hit in 2007, but she also wears a thigh-high skirt that, as viewers will discover when "Sucker Punch" opens Friday, can be rather revealing.

The underwear question involved more than just aesthetics. As it turns out, Snyder wanted the color to downplay any titillation, not increase it.

"I did make a concession to say, 'Let's make her underwear black,'" Snyder says. "Otherwise I'm noticing it too much. If it was white, you see it. But those are the kinds of things we did, because I didn't want the movie to be about that."

It's a small but important point that underscores the tricky nature of a movie whose sexual politics are as multi layered as its plot. A three-tiered narrative that unfolds in an insane asylum, a brothel and the escapist fantasies of its beleaguered heroine, "Sucker Punch" is a visual blend of pulp comics, steampunk and video-game violence, all shot in Snyder's signature heightened style. One minute its female characters are invincible warriors, the next they're chattel. And almost always, they are thoroughly rouged and suggestively dressed.

"It was difficult, at first, to convince the studio, not because it's about all-female action characters but because it was so different," says Snyder's wife, Deborah, who helped produce the film for Warner Bros. "You usually pitch them a set of comps" — that is, clips of comparable movies — "but there were no comps for a movie like this. That was both exciting and scary."

What has been done before is the revved-up mix of female-driven action and overt sexuality. The 1970s television show "Charlie's Angels" was famous for strategically jiggling its heroines; Russ Meyer's 1965 cult classic "Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill!" featured women with aggressive personalities and outsize bosoms. More recently, Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft character often wore combat boots and little else.

"You have to recognize that we are making a genre movie, a movie that has elements of, say, Japanese anime," says Carla Gugino, who plays the brothel's mother hen, Madam Gorski. "In '300,' the men wore less clothing than we're wearing! It is absolutely embracing that women can be sexy, strong, smart, all of those things."

"Sucker Punch" features five young actresses cast somewhat against type. Browning (Babydoll) starred in the kids' film "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events." Abbie Cornish (Sweet Pea) played John Keats' love interest in the costume drama "Bright Star." Jamie Chung (Amber) recently had an eye-candy role in Adam Sandler's "Grown Ups." Jena Malone (Rocket) is known for indie films like "******* Out of Carolina." And Vanessa Hudgens (Blondie) is a dimpled tween idol from Disney's "High School Musical" franchise.

For "Sucker Punch," however, they practiced martial arts, trained with assault rifles and worked out under Logan Hood, a former Navy SEAL who also wrangled Snyder's actors on "300." Malone, for one, piled 10 pounds of muscle on her 5-foot-6-inch frame and eventually pushed her rack dead-lift weight to 300 pounds.

"I get incredible work as an actor," Malone says. "But no one ever says, 'When I look at you I see someone who can kill 40 men with heavy artillery.' Never had I had anyone instill that belief in me. It was incredible."

The film goes so far as to exclude men entirely from the main cast. There are no "boyfriend" roles at all, and most of the male characters are villains, from Babydoll's abusive stepfather to brothel owner Blue (Oscar Isaac, "Robin Hood"). Scott Glenn plays the Wise Man, a benevolent father figure who sends the women into battle; he is the film's only "redemptive" male, according to Snyder.

At the same time, Snyder wanted his female characters to embrace certain traditional sexual archetypes — "the nurse, the French maid, the schoolgirl," he says — and simultaneously take control of them. Such archetypes are common in movies with explicit sexual content, he notes, yet "Sucker Punch" seems destined to cause some hand-wringing even though it contains no sex scenes at all.

"The most dangerous place to go, I think, with female sexuality, is when people are conscious of their own sexuality and it becomes a tool," Snyder says. "The power of it, when they're aware of it — that's dangerous. Society is not into that, for whatever reason. I thought we had a sexual revolution and everyone is cool with that. But apparently it's still a hot-button issue."

———

LADY KILLERS: THE TOUGH 10

The female action heroes of "Sucker Punch" are unusual in Hollywood, but not altogether new. Here are 10 of moviedom's toughest ladies, from Western gunslingers to alien killers.

Joan Crawford — In the gender-bending 1954 Western "Johnny Guitar," she wore the pants and packed the pistols, while co-star Sterling Hayden mostly strummed.

Tura Satana — As the leader of a girl gang in Russ Meyer's 1965 sexploitation classic, "Faster, *****cat! Kill! Kill!," she literally kills a man with her bare hands.

Sigourney Weaver — As Ripley in 1979's "Alien," she turned a distressed-damsel role into a tough-as-nails character who survived through three more films.

Lori Petty — She played the title role in 1995's "Tank Girl," the poorly reviewed adaptation of the sci-fi comic books. Perhaps it was ahead of its time?

Bridget Fonda — She starred as a deceptively pretty assassin in 1993's "Point of No Return," though Luc Besson's original 1990 French version, "Nikita," remains a landmark among action chick flicks.

Milla Jovovich — The cat-eyed actress has helped make the pulpy "Resident Evil" franchise, based on a video game, a dependable seller at the box office since 2002.

Uma Thurman — Her otherworldly beauty made her an odd but surprisingly effective choice in Quentin Tarantino's ultraviolent "Kill Bill" movies (2003-'04).

Noomi Rapace — In 2009's "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo," the Swedish actress originated the role of Goth-punk bisexual sleuth Lisbeth Salander. Fans are waiting to see if Rooney Mara can fill her boots in the upcoming American version.

Chloe Grace Moretz — In last year's "Kick-Ass," she played the 11-year-old superhero Hit Girl, racking up the highest body count and cursing a blue streak.

Angelina Jolie — One of the few widely successful female action stars, Jolie recently took the lead in the CIA thriller "Salt," a role originally written for a man. Her "Lara Croft" franchise is set for a relaunch; her replacement has not been announced.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I saw the screener last night

We'll have a review up tomorrow.

There's a vid with this article, but the article just transcribes the vid. Still, given the eye candy, the vid is better than the read.
    Mar 24 2011 2:06 PM EDT 155
    'Sucker Punch' Stars Hope Action Flick 'Hits You In The Gut'
    Vanessa Hudgens teases MTV News at the film's premiere, 'Sucker punch means you don't know what's coming.'
    By Kara Warner (@karawarner)

For those who've seen the trailers, TV spots and highly stylized posters, you're likely aware that "Sucker Punch" descends upon theaters on Friday. Zack Snyder's estrogen-fueled flick has been billed as a curious, complex, action-adventure-fantasy, but despite the promotional push, it's safe to say that plenty of people are still scratching their heads, wondering, "What the heck is 'Sucker Punch'?"

MTV News headed out to the film's star-studded, slightly rain-soaked premiere in Hollywood on Wednesday night to find out.

"Sucker punch means you don't know what's coming," Vanessa Hudgens said simply. "It's being knocked out by something unexpected," co-star Jena Malone added.

"Sucker punch is this idea of taking an unexpected blow," Abbie Cornish said, adding in a brief plot summary to her definition as well. "A lot of the girls are totally unprepared for what's about to happen to them. They've been living in this institution and Baby Doll [played by Emily Browning] comes along and changes their whole perception of freedom, of hope, of escapism," she explained. "And so their ways of life are challenged, they're sucker-punched with this whole idea of freedom."

Director Zack Snyder, who created the story along with co-writer Steve Shibuya, continued with the "expect the unexpected" theme.

"I think it means two things: If you have preconceived ideas about what these girls are capable of, you're going to get a sucker punch," he said. "And also too, there's actually a thing in the movie, a physical thing that supplies the sucker punch as well."

Carla Gugino said the title of the film and the idea itself are fun because there's a lot left up to interpretation or theories. She also echoed the sentiments of her co-stars.

"To me, a sucker punch is one of those things you least expect, that you're unprepared for, but that hits you in the gut," she said. "And I think that hopefully this movie is, and this movie embodies that."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I am drooling and I don't know why....
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

i do lol. ive been waiting for this one for a while...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

does not look better then thor!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.