Thread: June/July 1996 KFM and Muslim Kung Fu

June/July 1996 KFM and Muslim Kung Fu

I was recently given a huge stack of old Kung Fu Magazines and I came across an article written by Salvatore Canzonieri named "A Moslem in China".

I'm still a newb in kung fu, but for some reason I have a strong interest in the "Muslim" styles of kung fu and their history/relation/etc.

I'm probably not going to get much info on this, but there was a section in his article that peaked my interests especially. It reads, "Also, the Hui Hui Shi Ba Zou (18 Fist fighting exercises of the Hui) was considered to be the best in combat exercises. The noted anti-Ching public figure Gan Feng Chi included the exercises in his book Hua Quan Zong Jiang Fa (A General Talk on Flower Boxing)."

So, does this refer to a form, a style, or just some simple combat drills? Is anyone familiar with this book? I've attempted to find some information on it, but the little I found wasn't really helpful. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the translation difficulties and such, if it was ever even translated.

I'd be really interested in getting my hands on this book if possible. Or even a half-assed translation of some of it. Like I said, i'm really interested in the "Muslim" stuff and how they came to be so widely recognized.

**Feel free to move this thread if you need to. Didn't know if it needed to be in the Magazine section or not.**

wle.com used to sell a book called "wushu among chinese muslems." i'm not sure it has any of the specific forms you're looking for, but it does seem to be something that would be within your general interest.

my teacher"s, teacher, is a hui(chinese muslim) dr. john winglok ng. his family is a family of bodyguards as huis' made great guards as they had no loyalty to either faction, qing or ming. the bodyguard style has lasted to this day and has kept most of it's secrets intact,and i am proud to be receiving these teachings this day.

good article on subject

http://www.muslimheritage.com/upload...al_Arts%20.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by kristcaldwell View Post
    wle.com used to sell a book called "wushu among chinese muslems." i'm not sure it has any of the specific forms you're looking for, but it does seem to be something that would be within your general interest.
    Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by teetsao View Post
    my teacher"s, teacher, is a hui(chinese muslim) dr. john winglok ng. his family is a family of bodyguards as huis' made great guards as they had no loyalty to either faction, qing or ming. the bodyguard style has lasted to this day and has kept most of it's secrets intact,and i am proud to be receiving these teachings this day.

good article on subject

http://www.muslimheritage.com/upload...al_Arts%20.pdf
    Thanks a ton TeetSao! That's exactly the kind of stuff i'm looking for! I have no idea why it appeals to me so much, but I am really fascinated by it.

Search our database

There's searches here on the forum you can do, as well as the KFM archives. I'm sure there's more - the tricky thing is you need to go through all the permutations of the spelling ie. Islam, Muslim, Moslem, etc. There's even issues with tantui, tom toy, etc.

You might also look at my old cover story for our 2002 November/December issue: The Muslim Master of the Old Empire: An interview with Grandmaster Ma Xianda

Here's your aforementioned JJ 1996 Table of Contents. Sal's article is hyperlinked to his site.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thanks Gene

Yeah, the different spellings is the killer. I'll have to save that for a boring day at work.

Inconsistent spellings - yea, welcome to my world.

I thought of another one for you, JamesC. Read this cover story - Where Wushu Went Wrong: Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional from our 2006 November/December issue. He's another Hui.

There are a lot of outstanding Hui masters in the Xian area, Shaanxi Province, so there's another potential search for you. We actually have upcoming two articles on Shaanxi-based masters - one will come up on our ezine this week, the other in print in two months - but neither of them have too much emphasis on the Muslim aspect.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

ttt 4 2016!

Cool pic of GM Ma and Ali.

The Muslim Grandmasters Of Chinese Martial Arts Mvslim
    ByMvslimPosted on October 13, 2016

The Chinese culture is one of the oldest cultures in the world with an extensive and varied tradition. An indispensable part of the culture, which has been developed over the centuries, is Chinese martial arts. Chinese martial arts, or also known as Wu Shu and Kung Fu, include hundreds of fighting styles. Each of them were inspired by different Chinese religions, philosophies and legends.

One of the traditional philosophies is to harmonize the internal and external energy and to achieve a physical and spiritual perfection. The Hui family, which is the Chinese Muslim ethnic group, got inspired by the tradition of the Prophet Muhammad in which he said:

“The strong man is not the good wrestler; the strong man is only the one who controls himself when he is angry.” (Bukhari)

The Hui members got encouraged to create a fusion between the Islamic belief and the Chinese tradition, the Hui martial arts. New grandmasters were born and it will not take long untill they reach the highest level of Wu shu. Here are two examples of Hui grandmasters who are more than impressive.

Ma Xianda

One of them is the Muslim Grandmaster Ma Xianda. Ma Xianda was born in 1932 in Hebei province, China. He belongs to the sixth generation of a prominent Hui family of martial artists and to a handful masters that has reached the highest level in Chinese martial arts, that is the 9th Duan. He was one of the first and youngest at the time to receive this rank. His father and uncle started to train him at the age of five. Grandmaster Ma learned many traditional Wu Shu styles and studied boxing, Mongolian wrestling (Shuaj Jian) and fencing.

It is estimated that he taught around 10,000 students during his career, including Zhao Chanjun and Jet Li. In 1980 he became the martial arts coach and the chief choreographer for the movie The Shaolin Temple” starring Jet Li. On top of that, more than twenty students of him earned the title of Wu Ying, ‘Martial Hero’. This is a title awarded to athletes who have placed more than once in the top three positions in China’s national championship. Both of his sons are national champions as well. It is more like a family legacy.

Wang Zi-Ping

Another Muslim Grandmaster that should be mentioned is Wang Zi-Ping. He was born in 1881 and lived until 1973. During his life he has revived the title “Lion of Chinese Kung Fu”. Even though both his father and grandfather were famous martial artists. they refused to teach Zi-Ping. They did not want him to experience the suffer they had to go through. Wang Zi-Ping on the other hand was passionate about it and started to train on his own when he was seven years old.

He made the decision to travel around the country. During his trip he was chosen to train under the Wu Shu master Yang Hong Xiu. Many dared to challenge him in a fight but he stayed undefeated. German workers, a group of Judo players and an American named Sullivan could not win over him. After the 1949 revolution he was respected as a hero and was appointed as Deputy to Shanghai’s Multicipal People’s Congress, Vice-President of National Wh Shu Association and as a member of the All-China Sports Federation.

Ma Xianda and Wang Zi-Ping are only two examples of a long list of Muslim Grandmasters and another example of how Muslims took part in way more aspects of life than you might think. Many martial artist around the world do not only admire them, they are an inspiration and motivation for them. These Grandmaster’s influences will be never forgotten.

This article was written by Sumaya El-Zaher.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips