Thread: iPads/Slates, who has it or something like it?

iPads/Slates, who has it or something like it?

How do you like your iPad or other such tablet type device?

I'm looking for something along the lines of this device but not sure what to get. Essentially with all my college notes and MMA notes and kung fu notes and even notes from when I did Aikido in Japan and such....I have way too many **** notes.

So, mainly for class really I need:

*WiFi obviously, not necessarily 3G support, the Univ has wireless in the buildings and I have wireless at home and such. If its that important I get online somewhere I can always look stuff up on my iPhone.

*Some sort of word processing.

*Copy and paste on both that word processing AND internet. And must support for images as well. I like to copy images from posted power points and such into my notes to make studying more organized.

*Needs to support writing with that pencil thingajiggy. It takes too long to type on those things to keep up with class, due to lack of tactile feedback. However, being able to "write" the notes more than makes up for it. I like to draw my lecture notes into diagrams often times anyways, as its just easier to get the information down in a quick but organized manner. So digital writing thingabobber is VERY important.

*Along with thingabobber, writing/drawing needs to be able to be done in multiple colors for ease of reference.

*Some sort of video support. Preferably both Quicktime and Flash. Video aids go with a lot of lectures. I never know what format though until I go to click on them. Additionally, lectures are recorded and posted online for review in home study. Its not as important, I can use my laptop still if its necessary, but it would be nice to be able to access this on the tablet/iPad/whatever....

Any ideas? I'm not really up on the tech stuff.

get a netbook.

or a tablet laptop if you have a little more money.

a netbook is like a mini laptop for about 300 bucks with lots of processing power and uses a windows operating system.

ipad isn't ready for college/uni/business duty outside of facebook and goofing off. It's not really a productivity tool in that sense.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    ipad isn't ready for college/uni/business duty outside of facebook and goofing off. It's not really a productivity tool in that sense.
    Netbooks are too slow for what he wants. And I disagree about the iPad. There are tons of apps to help organize and take notes. Not to mention the ability to store tons of video for easy reference. Also, things like Circuit Timer apps, etc... that can be used for training purposes as well.

I've been using an iPod to carry my class lesson plans for years. I save them as .TXT files and have them in my pocket all the time. Anytime I need to add or update something, I have to plug it in to my laptop though. So, being able to modify them on-the-fly would be awesome.

I also have about 16 gigs of training videos ripped to it, everything from DVDs, to youtube clips, to vids of my old teachers doing forms. It is very handy when I forget something or need a refresher.

And, of course, my workout playlists are on it, too.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

If I wanted a netbook I'd just take my laptop to class. Traditional laptop types are inefficient. I use too many diagrams and such in my notes which are not able to be done in class. I want a tablet device specifically because of the ability to "write." That's why I said its of high importance in my opening post.

ok, so, check out a tablet pc

This one is probably exactly what you are looking for.

HP Tablet PC-Touchsmart tm2

very cool.

Kung Fu is good for you.

ok, so, check out a tablet pc

This one is probably exactly what you are looking for.

HP Tablet PC-Touchsmart tm2

very cool.

That is very cool. I didn't know they had that out. I knew they were making a Slate but it got scrubbed from what I heard. My only concerns with this are really the size, its like 3 inches longer than the iPad. And price, like $300 more (I don't need the 3G enabled since I have WiFi everywhere already)...which is kinda steep. But it is a tax write off....

I like that it runs MS office. Since that should make it nice and easy to back up everything on my PC. My concern then is in how does the stylus writing sync up with the document? The app on the iPad that the guy at Best Buy pulled up was able to link it all up, but you had to go through multiple apps to get it all done. I'd rather have something more streamlined. I know that if it has Office it can type and copy/paste pics in the same doc, but I need to be able to draw/write on that same doc as well, more so than typing actually. That's the big issue. If it can do that then its considered purchased.

I think I need to head up to BB and see if they have one I can play with

Thanks for the lookout

Edit: are those 2 USB ports in the picture? That would make it even better. And that it can use Adobe is a plus since like everything is pdf these days and it can support flash. Which is good for all the video content that schools buy into these days.
    Last edited by SoCo KungFu; 08-09-2010 at 02:37 PM.