Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chinese Counterfeits, Fakes & Knock-Offs

Hybrid View

Chinese Counterfeits, Fakes & Knock-Offs

Given China's rise as global power, I've been wondering when copyright issues would rear up again.

Feds bust counterfeit goods pipeline to S.F.
    Will Kane, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Wednesday, August 4, 2010

(08-03) 18:47 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Yarin Molad, the owner of Traveler Photo and Electronics in bustling Fisherman's Wharf, said he had known for years that the purses, shoes and sunglasses sold to tourists in the store next to his were not really made by big-name companies like Louis Vuitton or Dolce & Gabbana.

The products, he said, had the same logo and fabric patterns as the famed brands but lacked the three-figure prices. The store was difficult to compete with, and cast a light of suspicion on its neighbors.

"Customers would come into my shop, look at my Ray-Bans and wonder if they were real," said Molad.

On Tuesday, the small store Molad referred to - New CWK Gift - was closed. Instead of colorful wares on the sidewalk, the business had white curtains and a "No trespassing" sign in its window.

Federal authorities recently raided New CWK Gift and seven other shops in Fisherman's Wharf. On Tuesday, they announced the seizure of more than 200,000 counterfeit retail items valued at $100 million - if they were genuine, that is - during what they called the largest-ever bust of retail counterfeiters on the West Coast.

Prosecutors charged 11 people with conspiracy, smuggling goods into the United States and trafficking in counterfeit goods, said U.S. Attorney Joseph Russoniello. Ten of those indicted were residents of San Francisco, he said.

If convicted, they could face up to 35 years in prison. Some could also face deportation to China depending on their immigration status, he said.

"The significant impact of trafficking in such merchandise on the American economy should be obvious," Russoniello said at a press conference at Crissy Field, flanked by agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection.

The network targeted by the agencies is accused of importing goods from China that imitated 70 national and international brands, including Nike, Burberry, Kate Spade and Armani. The stores that allegedly sold the items - all of which were shuttered - include L&J Fashion, New Life Gift, C&K Gifts and La Bella Boutique.

The operation was first discovered in December 2007, authorities said, when customs officials seized a container at the Port of Oakland stuffed with 50,000 counterfeit designer accessories.
    Multiple purchases

Investigators then conducted a number of sting operations at the stores. Time and time again, Russoniello said, they purchased counterfeit items.

While significant, the seizure represents a small slice of the market in sham goods, which some estimate is as large as 7 to 8 percent of the world's retail economy, said Fred Felman, the chief marketing officer for MarkMonitor, a San Francisco firm that helps companies protect their brands.

"You look at this and you think it is just purses and sunglasses," he said. "And then you look at it with respect to the global economy, and it is something else."

Experts say counterfeiters, who exploit others' hard work and innovation, have grown as economies become more global and the Internet flourishes - dark corners and all - as a prime destination for shoppers.

The problem has hounded everyone from cigarette makers to the military. A report by the U.S. Department of Commerce in January 2010 found that 39 percent of electronics companies contracted by the Department of Defense encountered counterfeit electronics from subcontractors, more than doubling from 2005 to 2008.
    The source is China

John Morton, the director of Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said Tuesday that counterfeiting "occurs in every facet of American industry and production." However, he said, most phony goods - from purses to pharmaceuticals - originate in China.

Immigration and Customs Enforcement launched a new unit to respond to counterfeiting last fall, and officials hope Tuesday's bust can be the first of many.

But there are two kinds of buyers of counterfeit goods: those who believe they are purchasing the real thing and those who understand they are getting a cheap knock-off that kind of looks like the real thing.

Lisa Taylor, a tourist visiting Fisherman's Wharf from Alabama, said Tuesday that she knowingly purchased counterfeit sunglasses in New York City's Times Square recently.

"I don't think it is a threat," she said. "It is part of the culture in these areas."

E-mail Will Kane at wkane@sfchronicle.com.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

They have been counterfeiting our parts over there for a few years now. Some of them are easy to spot, others are pretty good couterfeits. I work in high tech, fyi.

so, if you're wondering where your job went... lol

counterfeiting is a multi-billion dollar industry.

knockoffs hurt society more than most people suspect.

some people think it's great to get a fake coach purse for 1/10th the price.
    Personally, I don't believe that person ever would have purchased a real one anyway.

But stealing other peoples designs without compensating them is wrong period. Cultural pluralism or relativism simply doesn't apply.

It really is a real problem and if it is going to stop, it will have to stop at the demand end. No demand, no supply it really is that simple.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Obama Fried Chicken

Too awesome for words. I'm only cut&pastin the first two. Follow the link for the rest. You won't be disappointed.

Obama Fried Chicken?! Ridiculous Knockoff Goods From China
    Dec 24, 2012 by Michelle

It’s well known that China produces an overwhelming amount of counterfeit goods. The country is most famous for producing fake designer handbags, but there’s a surprising amount of non-apparel items floating around on the Chinese black market. In recent years, production of knockoff consumer items has been rapidly increasing and the International Chamber of Commerce expects international trade of counterfeit goods to reach $1.7 trillion by 2015.

Although this poses an enormous problem for the world economy, Chinese-produced counterfeit goods provide the citizens of the internet with a good laugh at some of the obviously fake products. Take a look at just a fraction of the outrageous knockoff goods you can find in China where a misspelled word is a mere minor offense.

Chinese Knockoffs

▲ I think I like the foo dog design better than the original mermaid design.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Chinese knock everything off. It's to the point where I won't even buy Chinese electronic components from an independent source. They will knock off a 30 cent op amp that is like 1/10 the quality and push them for like 18 cents a unit as if it was a great deal. So weak. If it's cheaper than normal, and from China, I REFUSE to even consider it anymore. Tired of substandard parts. And it's really sad coz they do make great stuff in China. And I could get good deals if I could do diagnostics on the parts before hand. So I have to go with bigger companies who deal in the parts and do all those tests before sending them out. Quality control is so under regulated in China. So you have great items and crap items coming from the same factories some times. And sometimes knockoffs are actually stolen originals re-labelled or just un-labelled. Hard to tell which is which tho, not worth the risk when one crap component can fuck you hard later on.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Too awesome for words. I'm only cut&pastin the first two. Follow the link for the rest. You won't be disappointed.
    OK, Obama Fried Chicken just seems outright racist. You know they would never have a Romney or McCain Fried Chicken. I bet they even sell watermelon!!!

Early in the period when I lived in Taiwan, in the '80s, they had a brand of toothpaste called Darkie Toothpaste. It had an old-fashioned looking charicature of a wide-eyed, grinning black man in a top hat on the package. A well-known African-American Tv personality (and DJ?) in Taipei, whose Mandarin was excellent, protested it to the point they changed the name to Darlie, and changed the drawing to a white man in a top hat.

To quote myself...

From an old informercial I wrote titled: Monk Takes Off His Shoe: The Sequel: My Continuing Life as a Shaolin Shoe Salesman
    This has created a rather ironic situation for the marketing of a Chinese import - brand loyalty in Asia, the land of abundant knockoffs from Rolex to Microsoft. Now I have nothing against knockoffs as long as they work. One of my all-time favorite knockoffs was a fashion line of clothing called McDonald's Sport, cheesy commie disco shirts complete with the golden arches. I still bust out my McDonald's Sport shirt when I want to annoy my friends. I love cheesy knockoffs.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Fake eggs

I can't wrap my head around this right now, not with Easter Cadbury eggs right around the corner...

We've posted on these before.

Watch: How China Makes Chemical-Laced Artificial Eggs
    By Juliet Song, Epoch Times | February 11, 2016 Last Updated: February 13, 2016 9:23 am

(Sina Weibo)

If there’s anything that can put Chinese chickens out of work, it’s the man-made eggs that have been plaguing consumers for over a decade.

Since 2003, Chinese workers have been able to replicate chicken eggs to a surprising degree of detail. The shell is made of shaped calcium carbonate, reported the Beijing Media Network. Other ingredients include starch, resin, and cellulose coagulants for the egg white, and edible pigment additives for the yolk.

Countless pictures of the fakes have appeared on Chinese social media throughout the years. Lured by low prices, shoppers all over China have reported unwittingly buying the eggs, only to find that the yolk becomes hard and rubbery once cooked; one internet post said the yolks bounced when thrown on the floor.

(Sina Weibo)

(Sina Weibo)

(Sina Weibo)

(Sina Weibo)

Manmade eggs still infest Chinese supermarkets.

“Finally I have encountered the legendary fake eggs,” a January online post reads. “Before, I might choke on the yolk, but that won’t happen now because I can’t even chew it.”

Consuming the fake eggs can lead to memory degeneration and Alzheimer’s disease.

Fake eggs are extremely cheap to manufacture—a batch of ten costs just two cents.

In 2011, Qilu Evening News, a regional newspaper in Shandong Province, published an investigative report into the method of production. According to Mr. Ren, a 10-year veteran in the industry, the most important part of the process lies in producing the eggshell. Even if the insides are botched slightly, a good shell will fool most shoppers.

“I am the only one in China who can make a good eggshell,” Ren boasted.

(Qilu Evening News)

(Qilu Evening News)

(Qilu Evening News)

(Qilu Evening News)

The eggshell is created in a mould; stirring the calcium mixture and applying it evenly is crucial in creating a convincing fake. In ten minutes, the egg is complete.

To reduce the strong chemical smell given off by the compounds that comprise the whites and yolk, the eggs are treated with aquarium water to recreate an authentic odor. For added effect, traces of chicken droppings can be placed on the eggs.

In 2009, Japan’s FujiTV produced an 8-minute report on China’s fake eggs. The TV station even reproduced the process.

It costs $120 for egg-making lessons with Mr. Ren.

Ren said he was on good terms with chicken farms and egg sellers. “I openly tell the farm directors that my manmade eggs are far cheaper. Who doesn’t want to make more money? I have business relationships with them.”

“From the farm to the wholesalers to the retailers, they all know it,” Ren claimed. “Only customers don’t.”
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Counterfeit Baby formula

There must be a special place in hell for those that take advantage of babies like this.

China detains sellers of fake baby formula
    Date 05.04.2016
    Author Darko Janjevic (with AFP, dpa)

Shanghai authorities have launched a probe into six people accused of making a cheap infant formula, and then repackaging it to look like famous brands. The suspected gang reportedly sold over 17,000 mislabeled cans.

The group has been selling the counterfeit product across seven provinces in China, marketing it as the popular US brand "Similac," Shanghai officials said.
    All of the dodgy goods had been traced and seized by the end of last year, the producer of "Similac," Abbot US, said in an online statement on Tuesday.
    The Chinese authorities said that the mixture posed no safety risk.
    According to the state media, the suspects used the same repackaging system to trade adult milk powder, selling over 17,000 tins in total. The group reportedly made nearly 2 million yuan ($309,000 or 272,000 euro) by peddling to retailers across China.

Death by melamine

This is only the latest in the series of scandals involving food safety in the world's most populous nation. Last month, a Chinese court sentenced ten people to prison terms for selling fake beef jerky. The gang used flavoring and pigment to make pork appear more like beef, according to the officials Xinhua agency.
    In a widely publicized scandal in 2008, six infants died and hundreds of thousands fell ill after consuming tainted milk powder and other dairy products. A number of companies were found to be selling watered-down milk with added melamine, an industrial chemical, to boost protein levels.
    The chemical caused kidney stones and renal failure, harming mostly young children.
    Two men were executed and four others sentenced to life in prison for their involvement in the production process.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    There must be a special place in hell for those that take advantage of babies like this.
    People should check the labels more closely.

It's Simi-Similac, fake fake milk.

Counterfeit K-pop band

This is slightly OT as it's not quite a Chinese counterfeit. It's a Korean counterfeit foisted on Chinese.

Quote Originally Posted by -N- View Post
    People should check the labels more closely.

It's Simi-Similac, fake fake milk.

Good point, -N-.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Counterfeit fentanyl

The title of this post is a bit of a misnomer as the fentanyl is real, it's just processed poorly here in the States. As some of you know, I do volunteer work restraining combative patients, mostly drug induced. The fentanyl problem has been steadily rising recently. It's a serious and lethal issue.

‘Truly terrifying’: Chinese suppliers flood US and Canada with deadly fentanyl

EROS DERVISHI FOR STAT

By DAVID ARMSTRONG @DavidArmstrongX
    APRIL 5, 2016

The dozen packages were shipped from China to mail centers and residences in Southern California. One box was labeled as a “Hole Puncher.”

In fact, it was a quarter-ton pill press, which federal investigators allege was destined for a suburban Los Angeles drug lab. The other packages, shipped throughout January and February, contained materials for manufacturing fentanyl, an opioid so potent that in some forms it can be deadly if touched.

When it comes to the illegal sale of fentanyl, most of the attention has focused on Mexican cartels that are adding the drug to heroin smuggled into the United States. But Chinese suppliers are providing both raw fentanyl and the machinery necessary for the assembly-line production of the drug powering a terrifying and rapid rise of fatal overdoses across the United States and Canada, according to drug investigators and court documents.

“We have seen an influx of fentanyl directly from China,” said Carole Rendon, the acting US attorney for the northern district of Ohio in Cleveland. “It’s being shipped by carrier. It’s hugely concerning because fentanyl is so incredibly deadly.”

The China connection is allowing local drug dealers in North America to mass produce fentanyl in pill form, in some cases producing tablets that look identical to an oft-abused version of the prescription painkiller OxyContin. It also has been added to Xanax pills. And last week, fentanyl pills made to resemble the painkiller hydrocodone were blamed for a wave of overdoses in the Sacramento area, including nine deaths.

The fentanyl pills are often disguised as other painkillers because those drugs fetch a higher price on the street, even though they are less potent, according to police.

The Southern California lab was just one of four dismantled by law enforcement in the United States and Canada in March.

CALGARY POLICE SERVICE Packaged fentanyl seized in Calgary, Alberta.

In British Columbia, police took down a lab at a custom car business that was allegedly shipping 100,000 fentanyl pills a month to nearby Calgary, Alberta where 90 people overdosed on the drug last year. The investigation began when border authorities intercepted a package in December containing pharmaceutical equipment. Police would not describe the equipment but told STAT it came from China.

Federal agents shut down a Seattle lab set up in the bedroom of a home in a residential neighborhood. Similarly, investigators last week raided a suburban Syracuse, N.Y. residence that police charged was a “Fentanyl Processing Mill.” Investigators found six people inside the home mixing and packaging the drug and seized enough fentanyl to make 5,866 doses. As they entered the home, police reportedly were warned by the alleged dealers not to touch the fentanyl without gloves because of its potency.

The emergence of decentralized drug labs using materials obtained from China — and often ordered over the Internet — makes it more difficult to combat the illicit use of the drug.

“We had a spike in 2007” of fentanyl-related deaths, said Russell Baer, a spokesman for the federal Drug Enforcement Administration. “We traced it to a single production lab in Mexico and the deaths went away. Now, it is not restricted to one site.”

Fentanyl is legally used to treat people with severe pain, often after surgery, but this prescription fentanyl is not the source of most of the illegal trade.

People who unknowingly take fentanyl — either in pill form or when cut into heroin — can easily overdose because it is up to 100 times more potent than morphine and many times that of heroin, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It works quickly, and multiple doses of the antidote naloxone are often required to reverse an overdose.

US health and law enforcement officials began warning of a spike in fentanyl deaths last year, a trend that has continued into this year. Fentanyl has surpassed heroin as a killer in several locales. A recent report by the CDC identified 998 fatal fentanyl overdoses in Ohio in 2014 and the first five months of 2015. Last month, federal prosecutors in Cleveland charged a local man with selling blue pills that appeared to be 30 milligram doses of the milder painkiller oxycodone. When tested, the 925 pills in his possession turned out to be fentanyl.

“One of the truly terrifying things is the pills are pressed and dyed to look like oxycodone,” said Rendon. “If you are using oxycodone and take fentanyl not knowing it is fentanyl, that is an overdose waiting to happen. Each of those pills is a potential overdose death.”

In Calgary, the fentanyl pills were produced to look similar to a version of OxyContin that was easily abused before it was replaced in 2012 by a tamper-resistant form, according to police. The pills are the same shade of green as OxyContin and are marked “80”, which was a frequently abused dosage of the drug. On the street, the fentanyl pills are called “shady 80s,” said Calgary Police Sergeant. Martin Schiavetta. They are sold for about $20 a pill, and some addicts take 15 to 20 pills a day.

“We have tracked the import from China,” Schiavetta said of fentanyl sold in the Canadian city. “The dealers ask for fentanyl powder and there are websites that guarantee delivery. If it is stopped at the border, they will send you a new one.” He said the packages are labeled as different products, such as car parts.

In Edmonton, Alberta, police inspector Dwayne Lakusta said fentanyl and pill presses are coming from China. “It is getting worse,” he said of that city’s fentanyl problem. “We will be battling this every day moving forward.”

Federal agents in Southern California became aware of the fentanyl operation there when a US Customs and Border Protection agent discovered a commercial pill press being sent from China to Gary Resnik, a Long Beach, Calif., man who has since been charged in the drug ring along with three other men.

Resnik allegedly set up a company called “Beyond Your Dreams” to order the machine, which was shipped through Los Angeles International Airport by a Chinese company called Capsulcn International, according to court records. Those records allege the Chinese company has a history of shipping pill presses to customers in the United States using fake shipping labels. Attempts to identify a specific location of the company and contact information were unsuccessful.

RCMP Pill press seized in British Columbia in March.

Federal agents eventually seized six pill presses they allege were used by the Southern California dealers. Each machine could produce thousands of pills an hour.

The dealers allegedly operated one lab out of a single-story home they rented in Baldwin Park, Calif. Investigators believe none of the men arrested actually lived there. DEA agents and technicians wearing bright-yellow hazardous material suits shut down the lab on March 15.

A storage unit was rented to house supplies and equipment. Agents also discovered handwritten notes listing ingredients and mixtures necessary to manufacture the fentanyl pills, according to court records.

The drug allegedly sold by the Los Angeles dealers was a fentanyl analog, called acetyl fentanyl, which has a slightly different chemical composition. Federal investigators have identified a dozen analogs of fentanyl produced in clandestine labs, all of which act similarly in the body to heroin, with the exception of being more potent.

China last year made it illegal to export acetyl fentanyl, a move that drew praise from US officials. However, several police agencies in North America say the drug continues to stream out of the country.

A report this month from the Department of State’s Bureau for International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs found China remains a major producer and exporter of drugs like fentanyl for illicit international markets. The country’s vast chemical and pharmaceutical industries — combined with lax regulation, low production costs, and government corruption — make China an “ideal source” for the export of materials needed in illicit drug production, according to the report.

In an affidavit, DEA agent Lindsey Bellomy said that based on wire transfers and other evidence, she “strongly believes” the Southern California group acquired its fentanyl from China. The affidavit lists a dozen deliveries from China to members of the group in January and February.

When police stopped one customer after he allegedly purchased fentanyl from the group, he was found to have “several thousand pills” later determined to be acetyl fentanyl by lab technicians. The customer told police he purchased drugs from the group every couple of days, and that he, in turn, sold his buyers a minimum of 1,000 pills, a quantity known as “a boat.”

David Armstrong can be reached at david.armstrong@statnews.com
    Follow David on Twitter @DavidArmstrongX
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Counterfeit chips

Chinese Chip Counterfeiter, Lured to US in Sting, Pleads Guilty to Conspiracy
    Written by JOSEPH COX CONTRIBUTOR
    April 18, 2016 // 01:25 PM EST

On Friday, Daofu Zhang, a Chinese citizen, pleaded guilty to conspiring to sell counterfeit computer chips used in military applications. According to Zhang's plea agreement, the offense carries a maximum penalty of ten years of imprisonment and a $2 million fine.

Zhang’s is just the latest conviction in the long, established trade of fake or “recycled” chips coming from China—a trade that has affected systems and networks in the US military and beyond.

In 2011, the the director of the US Missile Defense Agency told Congress that counterfeit electronics had ended up in the agency's systems seven times over five years. Fakes have also been installed in weapon systems, and a 2012 Senate Armed Services Committee investigation found phony parts in cargo headed for Special Operations helicopters and a Navy surveillance plane. The shipments had come from China.

Researchers have even responded to the problem, trying to find ways to mitigate the counterfeit chip market, by designing new systems to make chips harder to fake.

One well-known hub for this trade is the Guiyu Electronics Market, just outside Shantou, in southeast China. The market is notorious for being where iPhones, and other electronics, go to be recycled. A 2010 study showed that over 80 percent of a group of village children under 6 years old suffered from lead poisoning.

At Guiyu, workers strip used computer chips, which are then cleaned in a river and then exported. Some of these chips will become part of the legitimate second-hand industry, which sells refurbished components that are no longer produced by the original manufacturer.

“Defense agencies and contractors regularly purchase ICs on the secondary market, either to maintain older systems and equipment, or to assemble new systems and equipment from old designs,” Jessica A. Herrington, a Special Agent, writes in the complaint against Zhang.

But some companies may physically modify a chip so that it appears that it came from a different company, or a certain batch, or was made on a different date—meaning they can be sold for a higher profit. The chips can be re-marked after the original tags (which demarcate the true company of origin) have been sanded off, or new markings can be written on top of a thick layer of black epoxy, Herrington writes.

A 2008 investigation by Business Weektraced chips used by BAE Systems, the infamous aerospace government contractor, back to traders in Shenzhen, China. As part of that article, reporters detailed a string of companies that played a part in providing the US military market with lower quality chips.

“The sale of re-marked or otherwise fraudulent ICs into the stream of commerce is a significant problem, due to the increased risk of equipment failure from using salvaged or sub-standard components,” Herrington continues.

Zhang worked for one of the scam companies which was based in Shenzhen, the same city that Business Week was led to in 2008.

In 2012, law enforcement agents launched an elaborate undercover operation, purchasing items from ‘HK Potential’. Years later, in November 2015, Zhang shipped two packages containing eight chips with counterfeit Xilinx brand labels. Xilinix's chips had military applications, “including radiation tolerance for uses in space,” according to the US Attorney's Office. Zhang and two others were arrested shortly after, when they arrived in the US as part of a purported deal with the undercover agents.

Zhang's co-conspirators also pleaded guilty in March of this year. Their case, however, seems unlikely to squash the still-booming Chinese counterfeit chip trade.
    Thought this was connected to the Military goggles post earlier here, but I guess it isn't.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Counterfeit dab rigs

Saved this one, just for today.

China Glass: Fab or Fake?
    September 8, 2015 at 8:30 am
    By Mr. Vivid

Expecting cannabis users to happily spend $3,300 on a dab rig may seem like a fool’s errand.

But the “Fabergé Egg” rigs created by Washington-based glass blower Mothership have proved so popular that the rigs are near-impossible to find — even with an unlimited bankroll and after a long road trip.

Following the phenomenal success of Mothership’s “Fab” designs, dozens of imitators have come to market. There is a surge of China-based clone manufacturers who have set out to solve the problem of supply and demand.

But what do you sacrifice when buying a clone?

CUSTOMER SATISFACTION

A friend celebrated a birthday recently, and I wanted to score him a nice water pipe from a local shop. We went in together and instantly appreciated one of the offerings for its simplicity and ease of cleaning. It functioned perfectly, and has been a great gift. Later, I discovered we purchased a Chinese-made clone of an American glass designer.

Since then, I have hit several clones at parties and festivals. To be confusingly blunt, the craftsmanship is both impressive and lacking.

For starters, you get what you pay for. Crooked cold welded joints, glass bubbles, and poor finishing details are just a few of the flaws common to these mass-market clones, which nonetheless run for as little as $25 online — a fraction of what the smoke shops who sell them charge. You won’t get the flame polishing and exquisite detail you see on a Mothership — but you paid 2 percent of the cost.

There’s also a cultural divide. Cannabis is still very illegal in China, which means Chinese glass blowers are detached from cannabis culture. I doubt these glass blowers have ever used their rigs. Thus, they don’t understand important aspects like restriction. This is painfully obvious when you receive a non-functioning piece.

Nonetheless, function can be found. Your editor and I ordered two mini fab eggs from the same supplier, via DHGate.com. The same model, they nonetheless looked noticeably different. But they both worked, and considering the price and design, I would give the fab clone an 8 of 10. It made me instantly want to test another well-reviewed item like the straight Fab or the mini-Torus!

ARTIST SUBTRACTION

However, it is important to point out that cheap comes at a cost. Artists, inventors, and factory workers all deserve to make a living. Your local glass blower has a dangerous job that requires expensive equipment. Some of the markup on a Mothership is warranted. But, with legalization in sight, Mothership’s work could continue to grow in price. Meanwhile, the public is proving that there is significant demand for a feature-lacking clone.

I would like to see Mothership license their process, so as to not lock bong innovation in exclusive or illicit markets. Medical glass art should be for everyone who needs it; it should not be Veblen goods or require more than a month’s salary.

There is a reliable middle ground. For $200 to $300 or so, you can get most NorCal glass. The rig will be well thought out, and is made by people who understand cannabis. This isn’t the case with China, but they are getting a lot of feedback, and rapidly developing new copies. Among the most popular designs are the Torus Incycler, The Fab Family, FC-710, and the D020.

There are some things to watch out for. I would not purchase ceramic or metal from a Chinese clone maker. Metal alloy can be really nasty. We know these factories will sell you a clone, do you trust them to use the highest grade materials? Stick to clear glass or quartz, and pay a little more for American ceramics or metal. Peace of mind — and your health — is worth it.

EXPERT OPINION

I have purchased more than 100 bongs in my life, and have MacGuyver’d my share of Gatorade-bottle hacks. I have a pretty vast understanding of the subject, but certainly wanted to consult someone in the business.

So, I contacted a dozen artists and another dozen shops for comment. All but two turned me down.

I won’t mention the name of the San Francisco shop that appears to be currently selling a Chinese pipe, but they did tell me that it was American glass with a $200 price tag.

However, Vapor Smoke Shop on Stockton Street was willing to talk, and the crew there was refreshingly honest with me.

The manager didn’t seem surprised that other companies were unreachable on the subject due to the stigma associated with Chinese-made clone glass: unhealthy materials, wrong weighting, every corner cut.

They had the same quality concerns I had (such as the inconsistent fab hole spacing) but quickly hedged the criticism with a “but for $40?!?” comment.

What I really wanted to know was if they would sell something like this.

They immediately had legal concerns, quickly followed by reputation concerns. However, they thought it would fly off the shelf at $100.

As for the “real deal,” the only way the Vapor crew would ever sell a $2,500-$3,000 pipe is if someone asked for it by name, they told me.

Let’s face it — it’s not common for the reefer-smoking demographic to have an extra $2,500 to blow on glass.

It’s much more common to hear something like “That $100 bong is sweet, but I could have a quarter and a pack of papers for the same price.”

NO TROUBLE WITH LITTLE CHINA

You can’t replace the experience or instant gratification of your local head shop, but my experience with China glass was surprisingly terrific.

These markets provide an opportunity for collectors to try out exotic designs without the investment or risk. The better sellers have many positive reviews, and their work is heavily scrutinized.

Still, it is important to find a trusted dealer. The quality of the vape/smoke is wildly different between designs and sellers, so start with the most reviewed merchants: stevenlmz79, kathy0577, cleanclearglass, or sunshinestore are a few.

If you are curious, bubble over to DHgate.com and see if your next bong will be Made in China.

Disclaimer: I am not telling you to buy anything. Research your local laws before ordering crazy **** on the Internet.

Photo by Mr. Vivid
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips