Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Inquiry about Bak Fu Pai

Quote Originally Posted by Hardwork108 View Post
    I am going to keep my eyes open, even more than usual, it seems...
    we will know if you are not keeping the pleats on your chinos well ironed...

That just goes to prove that you can never keep women happy.
    people still try?;

I mean not many people complain about someone else driving them around...LOL
    my wife drives a WRX Impreza and hates being driven - she gets it from her dad, a soviet era airforce colonel who flew migs in Afganistan - he hates going on commercial flights!

I don't know what is stopping her from driving herself?
    I guess it has something to do with security issues related to the fact that she is related to US military personnel?
    that is my understanding of it, in a nutshell; it's apparently policy for embassy personell / families to be driven / have some sort of detail when out and about;

Anyway, I am glad that they are enjoying themselves, and I hope that they will have good things to say about Colombia when they return home.
    she posts frequently on FB w/a very positive take on the place - and they have travelled to / lived in various countries, so it's a rather well-informed opinion

It seems that many outsiders think that the minute they step off the plane in a Colombian airport, they will be machine gunned by the mafia types, which is a total misconception. Luckily, the good word seems to be spreading about the hidden paradise, that is Colombia, even if this country has its problems, just like other nations in the world.
    it's like anywhere: you go to my wife's country, latvia, and despite all the stories of baltic misery you hear, it still functions day to day, and there are many positive things about it; just that the NY TImes only runs stories about how it's economy is gone to sh1t, etc. - nothing about the culture, history, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    we will know if you are not keeping the pleats on your chinos well ironed..
    Hey, those are the Mexicans you are talking about. Everybody in this forum knows that I walk around in silk pyjamas...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn
    people still try?;
    Well, personally speaking, I focus on pleasing them when I am trying to score. Afterwards, they will just have to like me for who I am....

my wife drives a WRX Impreza and hates being driven
    She is well ahead of me. I don't drive here in Cali, as kind of live in an area that has everything and is close to everything. So, I just take cabs when I want to go further, and taxi rides are very cheap in this city. So, without sounding pompous, I would say that I have gotten used to being driven around, even though I am more used to walking every where....LOL

she gets it from her dad, a soviet era airforce colonel who flew migs in Afganistan - he hates going on commercial flights!
    Her dad was is a Soviet war veteran?

I bet that you are treating her daughter ever so nice...

that is my understanding of it, in a nutshell; it's apparently policy for embassy personell / families to be driven / have some sort of detail when out and about;
    That is understandable. I would only hope that she and her husband could sometimes go out kind of incognito and experience all that Bogota has to offer, without the "entourage", as IMHO, they would absorb more.

she posts frequently on FB w/a very positive take on the place - and they have travelled to / lived in various countries, so it's a rather well-informed opinion
    Facebook eh?

Maybe she and her husband want to encourage their friends to visit them in Bogota?

Could we be seeing Taai gihk yahn in our shores in the near future?

it's like anywhere: you go to my wife's country, latvia, and despite all the stories of baltic misery you hear, it still functions day to day, and there are many positive things about it; just that the NY TImes only runs stories about how it's economy is gone to sh1t, etc. - nothing about the culture, history, etc.
    Very true. It seems that the developed countries pass the time badmouthing the developing countries, while many (not all) of the developing countries are doing the opposite.

I really believe that if more people knew how life really was in other places, they would leave to search for more normal; less hectic and controlled (manipulated?) lives abroad. Of course, because of the free-er flow of information nowadays, many are doing exactly that.
    Last edited by Hardwork108; 08-20-2010 at 07:08 PM.

from reading thru doo wais board it is very obvious that criticism gets to him enough that he wants to clear his name... and thats understandable... but if bak fu pai is a family style then why arent there any cousins or other relatives or close family friends that can attest to the authenticity of the style? i dont even mean others that learned it, just some1, any1, that knew it existed... so far i have found the lineage to be virtually unverifiable... im not saying 100% but it doesnt look good... str8 up, it looks like he made it up...

and the there the ermei bak mei... i have yet to this date find any info that isnt related to doo wai... is that supposed to be a secret family style too??? what i do know is that clc kids asked doo wai to stop calling what he does bak mei... could that be where the ermei comes in??? again, it looks bad, like he straight up made it up...

can anyone fill in these major gaps with info that isnt from doo wai or a doo wai student??? something perhaps atleast somewhat maybe i hope a little bit more objective? laced with some reason logic and with a bit less "it is what it is coz doo wai says it is"... i wanted to give him the benefit of doubt, i didnt walk into this a doo wai hater... but i have to admit that the inconsistancies are so many that for me it is absolutely unprecedented... can yall gimme something? anything? are we to believe that doo wais line produced one male and no female for generations thus creating a vacuum of information and witnesses... like wheres the lil cousin comming to his rescue? even in his hometown people arent talking... whats the deal bfp people??? help me out here...

and so if we look at this from the perspective of an investigator or a lawyer.. when a witness is on the stand, one doesnt need to discredit everything they say, just enough to give reasonable doubt as to the authenticity of anything they say... so even if doo wai has a legit style, his shadyness in other ways casts serious doubt to anything that comes out of his mouth... anyone have anything to add???

Syn7,

I am all about looking at this objectively. Not because of so and so and so and so. All of those questions that you ask are good questions. Sadly, all are with no answers because no one knows. I doubt if anyone even knows this dude's hometown. I can make a very educated guess, but I do not know his cousins. Who was it who talked him out of calling it Bak Mei? Was that a phone call or a letter? He called it Bak Fu back in the seventies didn't he?

Here is the way I look at it. If he made it up...Not bad! Who cares? Everything is made up anyways. I have seen some of his older stuff. Have to have, bought some tapes like 15 years ago. Not bad! Good forms, good two man stuff. Different to Bak Mei. More continuous. Softer. Nice iron palm material, iron body material. Different to it simply being embedded into the forms and power generation like what most Bak Mei people have said.

If he made it up, all of what he is talking about, well, he put some good thought into it.

We can get into the ethics of making things up, but, well I guess they are made up?

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    Syn7,

I am all about looking at this objectively. Not because of so and so and so and so. All of those questions that you ask are good questions. Sadly, all are with no answers because no one knows. I doubt if anyone even knows this dude's hometown. I can make a very educated guess, but I do not know his cousins. Who was it who talked him out of calling it Bak Mei? Was that a phone call or a letter? He called it Bak Fu back in the seventies didn't he?

Here is the way I look at it. If he made it up...Not bad! Who cares? Everything is made up anyways. I have seen some of his older stuff. Have to have, bought some tapes like 15 years ago. Not bad! Good forms, good two man stuff. Different to Bak Mei. More continuous. Softer. Nice iron palm material, iron body material. Different to it simply being embedded into the forms and power generation like what most Bak Mei people have said.

If he made it up, all of what he is talking about, well, he put some good thought into it.

We can get into the ethics of making things up, but, well I guess they are made up?
    the "issue" w/making things up is that it is fine, but then it stands to credibility: if u make-up a system, then people can more pointedly ask u about ur background in terms of actual usage - I can "make up" anything I want, but if I can't substantiate the rationale for it or demonstrate efficacy, people can b like, "so what"
    HOWEVER, if I am the sole inheritor of a 5,000,000 y/o style, then guess what? in many if not most people's minds, I now get an instant credibility "get out of jail free" card; meaning that I don't have to substantiate content of the system, because, hey, I am the recipient / guardian / protector of "the system", carrying it on exactly as my great-great-great-great to the nth degree grandsifu intended when he chiseled it into the living rock in a cave on Mount Mysterious - in fact, if your common sense and logic doesn't support a lot of what I do, then I just fall back into the whole :it's an ancient hoary secret practice that your rational / western mind can't grasp"; and most people will balk at that and just carry on;
    so if Doo Wai just played it straight and was upfront about his background, which is probably a mix of different things he picked up over the years (incuding bok mei or similar system), and probably some of it actually valid - I mean Dale Dugas speaks well of the man's healing skills, if I recall correctly, not wanting to misquote him, so that suggests at least some merit to what he does; but if he's clever, which he is, he isn't going to broke on that, especially being in Hollywood, where his famous actor clients want even more desperately and feel entitled to having only "special" people work with them (I know, I've treated a few famous actors, they all had the same perspective about this), so he has his 700 y/o BFP lineage (which he can't produce, substantiate, verify, etc.) and all the trappings as a vehice to support the material he teaches;
    so go ahead, create, CREATE - but be honest and if u r not honest at least don't b ridiculous...

Just found this...

"FuMei
    10-29-2000, 10:00 AM
    The lineage of Pak Mei is probably not what you think it is iron lohan. First off it does not stop and start only with clc, instead it thrives in many directions. Pak Mei went to the O'Mei Shuan Jee with Fung Do Duk, so it is probable that both Pak Mei and Fung Do Duk taught there gung fu to the Kwong Wai Monk. It was not until after Fung Do Duk left this temple that he lived with Doo Tin Yin. The monk Kwong Wai passed all of his knowledge to Fah Yuen who was Cheung Lai Chen's sifu. Fah Yuen also taught Ling Sing and this is where the differences occur.
    The Kwong Wai monk taught Fah Yuen these "so called" five kuens of Pak Mei? He could have taught him many more. The five kuens that Pak Mei taught the Kwong Wai monk where probably five kuens that he and Fung Do Duk came up with to be the most important combining everything from the 8 powers, to the six gings, to the five elements. clc pak mei does not teach only these five kuens, they have about 24 different kuens, some with weapons. I have seen some chow fook (not the same choy fok as choy lay fut) lineages that trace to Ling Sing that have thirteen kuens. When dealing with pak mei you can not look at it as just linear, circular, or triangular in nature or you are not dealing with the 8 different Taoist powers. Old-School pak mei is something more flowing, it is flowing softly until the time to be hard. It does not have to be flowing in a linear, circular, or triangular fashion. It has to use all three with ging. Guard centerline hard, everything will turn out fine when you decide to use your ging. It is everything that lies in nature that we just do not see. This is the same truth in Bak Fu Pai. Fung Do Duk was Pak Mei's elder and he hightened his art to something more devastating than Pak Mei, nis art flowed even more with the waters and the winds, the nature of this art is on the brink of scary! I have heard that some of Fung Do Duk's teachings of Bak Fu Pai where the same as Pak Mei's five kuens. Not until later though did Fung Do Duk teach diligent students even more advanced material than these five cherished kuens. I have heard that Doo Tin Yin's first son taught the original 5 as a basis for his Bak Fu Pai and this is Fukien Pak Mei which has these 5 pak mei forms with 5 bak fu pai forms. This does not seem like that many kuens but in the old days masters where not worried about how many kuens they had instead they had a dozen great kuens that were practiced because the masters knew they worked. These kuens are what real souther gung fu is about. It is about the basic Mo Sheung Dit Ga Sow ( Daoist Mountain Monk Removing Robe, or Monk Disrobing) Tiat Arhat. HEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!! :cool"

"FuMei
    10-30-2000, 01:44 AM
    Hello Mo Q:

Forgive me if my spelling is a little weird on some gung fu terms, I try to put it as I heard it while studing. Cheung Lai Chuen learned Pak Mei, Bak Mei, Bai Mei, from the Kwong Wai Jee monk Jok Fah Yuen. Fah Yuen learned from Kwong Wai. It would be impossible for clc to have learned from Kwong Wai because Kwong Wai would have been dead before Cheung Lai Chuen was born. Fah Yuen was the successor at Kwong Wai on Er Mei San, O Mei Shuan, etc. HAHA!! Jok Fah Yuen taught Ling Sang and Cheung Lai Chuen. Ling Sang taught Lee Mon and Lam Shek, and this is where the differences come from. Both Lee Mon and Lam Shek taught many people gung fu because they were some of the main triads the government was after. There would also be differences taught from Ng Nam Kung who was one of the three successors to Cheung Lai Chuens Pak Mei.

So all these differences show differences in style that are striving for a certain purpose, defend until time to attack and possibly kill.

On reply to the many terms related to Bak Fu Pai, Bai Fu Pai, Pak Fu Pai, mainly the story of Doo Tin Yin's son, these are stories that are passed down in the Fukien Bai Fu Pai lineage. I heard this from my father in-law who is from Fukien. He studied Pak Mei and Bai Fu Pai from birth because a great uncle of his was a cousin of the Monk Jok Fah Yuen. This bai fu pai was transmitted to the monk Jok Fah Yuen from the Kwong Wai monk but does not have as many kuens as Master Doo Wai's family inherited Bak Fu Pai. Hopefully, this helps out, later we can discuss a few kuens.

Fu /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif"

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...php/t-865.html
    I was on the metro earlier, deep in meditation, when a ruffian came over and started causing trouble. He started pushing me with his bag, steadily increasing the force until it became very annoying. When I turned to him, before I could ask him to stop, he immediately started hurling abuse like a scoundrel. I performed a basic chin na - carotid artery strike combination and sent him to sleep. The rest of my journey was very peaceful, and passersby hailed me as a hero - Warrior Man

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    don't b ridiculous...
    "dont be rediculous!!!" - Balki Bartokamous

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    "dont be rediculous!!!" - Balki Bartokamous
    now we r so happy, we will do the Dance of Joy!