Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Master Samuel Kwok brings Fists of Fury back to Long Beach, California!

Thumbs up Master Samuel Kwok brings Fists of Fury back to Long Beach, California!

Grandmaster Kwok will conduct a seminar in Ip Man Wing Chun on October 9th, 2010 at the Belmont Shores Chalet in Long Beach, California. Although Grandmaster Kwok teaches through out Europe, Asia, South America, and Australia, this will be his first seminar in California.

Kwok has studied Wing Chun Kung Fu for over forty-three years and has dedicated his life to the preservation of his Ip Man lineage. He is the only Wing Chun master to have studied under both of Ip Man’s sons, Ip Ching and Ip Chun. Grand Master Ip Man trained martial art’s film star Bruce Lee in Wing Chun while he lived in Hong Kong, and has been the recent subject of the critically acclaimed movies Ip Man and Ip Man 2.

Wing Chun’s specialty is in close contact combat. Its effectiveness is achieved through its skill and science rather than brute strength. It teaches the student to overcome their opponents strength by optimal body positioning and correct usage of energy while taking advantage of the shortest possible distance between the practitioner and the opponent. Wing Chun is unique in that there are no set of predefined movements. Students practice Chi Sau, a form of training that helps the student develop a responsive reflex and develops sensitivity, or “reacting to feeling rather than sight”.

Due to Wing Chun’s effectiveness, this martial art makes for an optimum form of self defense and is the ideal martial art for women and children, as well as men. Grandmaster Kwok encourages new and skilled students of Wing Chun attend, as well as practitioners of varying martial arts backgrounds. The principles, theories and techniques of Wing Chun may be applied in any fighting application.

Grandmaster Kwok will additionally be teaching a Chi Gung Seminar for Healing on the following day. Both seminars are organized by West Coast Wing Chun located in Long Beach, California under Sifu Bryan Talbot. For more information, contact Sifu Bryan at 310-612-7332 or go to http://www.ipmankungfu.com

fists of fury, LOL

Trying to assert a dubious connection between Bruce Lee and Samuel Kwok is misrepresentation, no?

Suki

p.s. If I wanted to find out what Wing Chun Bruce Lee learnt, I would have to research Yip Man, Wong Shun Leung AND Fook Yueng.

Fists of Fury, lol.
    "From a psychological point of view, demons represent the universal equivalents of the dark, cruel, animal depths of the mind. When we as martial artists are preparing ourselves to overcome our fear of domination at the hands of an opponent, we must go deep within our inner being and allow the darkest parts of ourselves to be revealed. In order to battle the monsters in an abyss, we must sometimes unleash the demon within" http://darkwingchun.wordpress.com/

It seems the ad is using "Fists of Fury" as a sexy synonym for WCK (wing chun is fists of fury) -- while obviously making that BL connection. So what? Like it or not, most people associate WCK and BL. And if it weren't for BL, WCK's would be hardly known to any of us.

At least he seems to grasp that "Wing Chun’s specialty is in close contact combat."

Ive met and done chi-sao with "Grandmaster" Sam several times...wrister. wrists' of fury ...
    Last edited by k gledhill; 08-21-2010 at 10:13 PM.

what do you mean by "wrister"?

Using wrists to feel and place force at the end of the arm in chi-sao...also chasing hands.

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    Using wrists to feel and place force at the end of the arm in chi-sao...also chasing hands.
    i've worked with him before at private trainings and seminars and never got that from him...he is pretty knowledgeable about different chi sau methods and such...curious, but did he control you or were you able to best him since he was wristing?

who got the better of who doesnt really matter, wristing is wrisitng...it has meaning to 'non-wristers'....secret code.

curious but do you know of any examples of "non wristers" on youtube that I might be able to check out to compare? Don't know why but I'm still having trouble understanding the wrister vs. non-wrister thingy

Quote Originally Posted by RGVWingChun View Post
    curious but do you know of any examples of "non wristers" on youtube that I might be able to check out to compare? Don't know why but I'm still having trouble understanding the wrister vs. non-wrister thingy
    go to this site and you will see a tab with 'new video' it shows an exchange of striking chi-sao http://www.philippbayer.net

I chi sau with Master Kwok on a regular basis both at his club and private lessons.

I concur with RGV that his style of chi sau can often change depending on who he is training with. This can range from a more direct striking method through to not much striking but manipulation of your structure by getting you to use the wrong energy (and then striking).

I would say he chi sau's AT the wrists but energy is generated through his whole hips, stance elbows and shoulders at times.

Im also curious. If your not a wrister what are you? Forearmer or elbower?

your not developing simultaneous striking/deflecting punches that intersect the centerline.
    once you adopt the wrist as a point of energy release for 'contact' on anothers bridge you stop several basic ideas from further development.
    One, your timing
    Two, you use 2 arms equally extended along the centrline, making you vulnerable to counters ....outside chi-sao drills.
    Three, the alignment of your punches and structure unity is compromised for 'over trapping'
    and 'over chasing' for a false sense of 'hand control' .
    more but that is for starters....
    it is easier to show against a sparring event than mutual chi-sao exchanges simply because in chi-sao we equalize with each other....exercises for mutual development. not the actual fighting method we adopt.
    Last edited by k gledhill; 09-07-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Sou would it be fair to say as an example of what you are saying that when responding to an attack (lets say forwarding energy by a Tan Sau) you would simply Jum Sau at an angle and continue cutting through the attack.

Rather than........?

Quote Originally Posted by k gledhill View Post
    your not developing simultaneous striking/deflecting punches that intersect the centerline.
    once you adopt the wrist as a point of energy release for 'contact' on anothers bridge you stop several basic ideas from further development.
    One, your timing
    Two, you use 2 arms equally extended along the centrline, making you vulnerable to counters ....outside chi-sao drills.
    Three, the alignment of your punches and structure unity is compromised for 'over trapping'
    and 'over chasing' for a false sense of 'hand control' .
    more but that is for starters....
    it is easier to show against a sparring event than mutual chi-sao exchanges simply because in chi-sao we equalize with each other....exercises for mutual development. not the actual fighting method we adopt.
    I really don't see how "wristing" stops timing or how it makes you vulnerable to counters....I teach chi sau along the same lines through Ip Ching's methods as my Sifu teaches me, and we are pretty realistic about how it is used in real fighting and what options are available, etc....I just don't think the "wristing" is a valid critique