Thread: Meditations on Violence

Meditations on Violence

I met Rory in 2003 and he had some interesting ideas about martial arts.
    If you have a few minutes, here's a recent interview with him that's worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XS2ke_5sqY
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Rory is pretty cool. Nice guy that doesn't flip out if you disagree with him.

But why do karate school owners feel that they have to introduce themselves as "sensei" your name here?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by rogue View Post
    Rory is pretty cool. Nice guy that doesn't flip out if you disagree with him.

But why do karate school owners feel that they have to introduce themselves as "sensei" your name here?
    for the same reason people address themselves as "sifu so&so" lol
    It's a title they've earned and they feel it identifies them I guess.

No harm no foul if they are what they say they are.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

He has some great perspective, I've read some of his shorter writings on violence and self defense...fascinating stuff. I think he used to be a correctional officer and wrote about the sudden and unpredictability of being attacked. His most recent book 'Meditations on Violence' is on my wish list.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I recently read "Meditation on Violence." Overall I'd say its a pretty good book. Mr. Miller's ideas are very solid. Anyone who takes martial arts, but has not had real life experience would do well to read it.

in for later when im not browsing from my phone and can watch that vid.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.