Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ufc 117

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Well, I don't follow MMA that much, but was Silva NOT Respected before this?
    For his skill, yes. But, he did a lot of fights with a fair amount of show boating and mocking his opponents in the ring by clowning around, dropping his hands or sticking out his chin and dancing around and more stuff like that. It really annoyed Dana White and a lot of the fans.

This just might be his wake up call.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Harmonies View Post
    Perhaps Sonnen should have trained a bit more and **** talked a bit less.
    Keep in mind that Sonnen was dominating right up until the end of the final round. It looked like Silva hadn't been training compared to Sonnen. Sonnen made good on all his promises and if he had avoided the submission he would have won. I was waiting for him to submit Silva at some point.

Couldn't it be said that Silva won by luck? I know he was trying to set this submission up but he was getting pummeled in the process.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    it was very close for sonnen escaping the sub. he was in the right position sitting back and looked to be getting his head back. I think if he would have stuck it out for a couple more seconds Silva would have let go. so close.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I will say that for all the sh**it Sonnen talked coming into this fight, he brought his A game and backed it up and took the fight to Silva like no one I have ever seen before. Hopefully the rematch will live up to this fight.

As for Silva, I agree that it is the mark of a great champion to come back after four rounds of being dismantled, which is what Sonnen did. Maybe the aura of invincibility has been lifted from Silva, which may be a good thing even for him. I hope Silva quits some of the stupid theatrics he has done in the past and maybe this will serve as a good wake up call.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

uh no to be an ass but he kind of didnt back up his talk outside of the take down bit since he lost and all thus at least 90 percent of what he claimed didnt happen

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    uh no to be an ass but he kind of didnt back up his talk outside of the take down bit since he lost and all thus at least 90 percent of what he claimed didnt happen
    Don't ever disagree, Goju. Am I goingnto have to throw out the death match invitation?

You don't lend any credence to the fact that he would have won based on points had he not been submitted? Since he was submitted this is a void argument but I figured I'd try anyway.

LOL meet me at the jungle gym at sun down

I mean yeah he would have won if it wasn't for the sub but could of should of would haves dont matter. All that does is who wins and loses in the end.

Granted sonnen is an elite fighter and he tried his best and deserves respect for getting to the elitelevel in MMA and putting on a good show vs the champ but his smack talking wasn't backed up by any means or he would have the belt around his waist right now.

Applaud the man for his efforts certainly but dont exaggerate what he did or try to paint it in a different light. He lost plain and simple.

LOL meet me at the jungle gym at sun down

I mean yeah he would have won if it wasn't for the sub but could of should of would haves dont matter. All that does is who wins and loses in the end.

Granted sonnen is an elite fighter and he tried his best and deserves respect for getting to the elitelevel in MMA and putting on a good show vs the champ but his smack talking wasn't backed up by any means or he would have the belt around his waist right now.

Applaud the man for his efforts certainly but dont exaggerate what he did or try to paint it in a different light. He lost plain and simple.
    Was this the same jungle gym I beat your ass at last time?

the sun was in my eyes and you got lucky!

Guess we must have watched a different fight Sonnen dominated Silva for four rounds. No one is disputing the fact that he lost, but he took Silva down at will and actually got the better of him standing up. He suprised the shi**t out of me with his skills.

Also, did it seem like Silva was just trying to get the fight over with? I really think Silva needs to find some kind of inspiration again or retire, because he acts like he just doesn't want to fight anymore. I read somewhere that supposedly he had a cracked rib so that might be why he seemed so sluggish, just doesn't seem to fight with the same passion he used to.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Chael is a tough SOB, and a very good wrestler. I didn't really think he brought much else to the fight. Anderson was hurt, if that made a difference I don't know.. That was probably the hardest fight he has ever had.

Chael taped, and Anderson had a strong triangle on him.. Chael wasn't going anywhere..

Just listen to what Dana has to say about the fight..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5m1MTTs1ss

I would love to see a rematch. Anderson in a rematch would do allot better..

Great fight.. a bunch of good fights..

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Guess we must have watched a different fight Sonnen dominated Silva for four rounds. No one is disputing the fact that he lost, but he took Silva down at will and actually got the better of him standing up. He suprised the shi**t out of me with his skills.

Also, did it seem like Silva was just trying to get the fight over with? I really think Silva needs to find some kind of inspiration again or retire, because he acts like he just doesn't want to fight anymore. I read somewhere that supposedly he had a cracked rib so that might be why he seemed so sluggish, just doesn't seem to fight with the same passion he used to.
    I think Silva meant to end the fight quickly. Isn't that the point to avoid taking damage? He went the while fight. He isn't as hungry as Sonnon cause he's been the champ for awhile. Instead of gaining a belt he has the young guns aiming for him. Silva has the most to lose while his opponents have fame and some fortune to gain.

Quote Originally Posted by monji112000 View Post
    Chael is a tough SOB, and a very good wrestler. I didn't really think he brought much else to the fight. Anderson was hurt, if that made a difference I don't know.. That was probably the hardest fight he has ever had.

Chael taped, and Anderson had a strong triangle on him.. Chael wasn't going anywhere..

Just listen to what Dana has to say about the fight..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5m1MTTs1ss

I would love to see a rematch. Anderson in a rematch would do allot better..

Great fight.. a bunch of good fights..
    It wasn't the triangle that tapped him. He was on his way out of the triangle. He had body leverage and Silva lost control of his head. It was the armbar that got him. And at the time he had that weird spasm tap, Silva only had his locked arm controlled with one hand. Silva's legs, being in a triangle position, weren't in proper place to control Sonnen's arm. With only one hand on the wrist, no bicep control or anything with the other hand, Sonnen could have rotated the arm and pulled out of it. I think he's kicking himself right now for that tap, he really didn't need to do so.

I agree though we need a rematch.

Here's the thing that I thought was interesting. Silva's striking is always so dominate. Yet Sonnen made him look bad. Not even talking about Sonnen rocking him. I'm talking about how Silva got pressured and he himself started throwing wildly. Not as bad as other fighters, it is still Silva. But def not his normal composed, pin point striking. I'd have to wonder if some of those wild hooks had been more controlled, would he have connected and KO'd Sonnen?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Here's the thing that I thought was interesting. Silva's striking is always so dominate. Yet Sonnen made him look bad. Not even talking about Sonnen rocking him. I'm talking about how Silva got pressured and he himself started throwing wildly. Not as bad as other fighters, it is still Silva. But def not his normal composed, pin point striking. I'd have to wonder if some of those wild hooks had been more controlled, would he have connected and KO'd Sonnen?

well his ribs were ****ed up so that pretty much explains it

well his ribs were ****ed up so that pretty much explains it
    Maybe but I doubt that. They may have been effecting his grappling, but he was still lobbing bombs in the standup. He wasn't focused. Every time Sonnen made range Silva was swinging for the fence. If his ribs were hurting that bad he'd be more conservative especially since he's a natural counterstriker anyways. He looked more like Melvin Guillard trying to put one out than Anderson Silva.