Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I learned this in kung fu

applying a front roll to that situation was a good move because it worked for him.

every martial arts training cycle I've been involved in has breakfall practices.
    a front roll is one thing almost everyone does! Not just cma.

You find it in pretty much every martial arts regimen. somersault forwards, backwards, off the right/left shoulder etc and so on.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    I've seen it in karate, caporia, I believe tkd as well. Maybe you need to expand your persective.
    I have trained in and with people in Shotokan, TKD, JKD, Wing Chun, Kickboxing, boxing, "MMA," Kuk Sool Wan. Lots of them do it now because I taught it to them.
    Maybe you need to expand your persective.
    Absolutely! It's what I live to do.

as for your last opinion about boxing... so your saying that anyone else besides boxing just stays inline with taking punches in the face??
    Not many arts are doing much beyond what is natural instinct. There isn't much of a sincere effort to train head movement in most arts unless they imported it from boxing.

I have trained in and with people in Shotokan, TKD, JKD, Wing Chun, Kickboxing, boxing, "MMA," Kuk Sool Wan. Lots of them do it now because I taught it to them.
    Not arguing with you on this, but I find that hard to believe. Almost every TMA school I have worked out at taught students rolls and break falls, not just CMA. Hell, that was one of the first things taught to me in Shuri-Te Karate. Just saying.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Not arguing with you on this, but I find that hard to believe. Almost every TMA school I have worked out at taught students rolls and break falls, not just CMA. Hell, that was one of the first things taught to me in Shuri-Te Karate. Just saying.
    All teach rolls and break falls, it's just that I had never seen any use the roll to escape when a kick is caught. They would either try to punch out of it, hop around stupidly, or try a crazy Bruce lee acrobatic kick.

lol sonnen could have just came up with that tumble on the fly and not even practiced.learned it

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    lol sonnen could have just came up with that tumble on the fly and not even practiced.learned it
    good chance, he didnt even go for his shoulder. maybe just because its crunch time do what you got to do, but if he did tons of shoulder rolls as a matter of training he likely would have gone to one side or the other favoring a shoulder.

meh who knows, its a roll....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

yeah i mean some guys just pull out random weird stuff out of nowhere

look at uriah faber with his weird leaping attacks and butt drops and odd kicks from weird angles

its just being creative is all

Or saw it in a random Hong Kong film for all we know.
    I have a signature.

He could have. I am not trying to make Sonnen a TCMA guy. I am only making the case that it is a pretty pretty slick maneuver that I have had a lot of success with that is also common technique to TCMA. It isn't quite the junk that people are making it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PHILBERT View Post
    Or saw it in a random Hong Kong film for all we know.

lol maybe! i did that signature "rock bottom" throw that WWE wrestler the rock uses when i sparred a shaolin do guy once in class many moons ago

just saw it tv and thought id figure out away to do it for amusement and it worked

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Because the Chinese invented water and cake and gun powder bro
    The cake is a lie...

Quote Originally Posted by tiaji1983 View Post
    Hmmm... I was taught if someone does a flip like that, run in and stomp his head while hes down, or get him while hes getting up and off balance... But I guess that would be frowned upon in sports...

On the other hand, when someone grabs your leg like that, as you could see the guy that grabbed the leg adjusted his foot after he grabbed to have a stable stance, you sink and bend the knee to pull them towards you, then you either strike them in the face, as both hands were commited to your foot, or kick back out...
    Watch the rest of the fight and see why you don't blindly rush in on a world class wrestler. Silva was smart not to do so.

Conversely, this is why you don't throw a half ass leg kick on an elite level Thai boxer. Had he been closer it could have gone like:
    http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/15124340-1310720795.html

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    grats...
    anyways... so you taught the breakfall, You invented it and taught it to everyone else. ?? OK...
    Not many arts are doing much beyond what is natural instinct. There isn't much of a sincere effort to train head movement in most arts unless they imported it from boxing.
    I will agree that boxing takes head movement to the next level, but to intrinsically state that it is only boxing only beyond natural effort, is false. Maybe we should break it down more to explain our points to one another. Maybe the question should be "what is the difference between boxing and traditional marital arts head movement training?"
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokhopkuen View Post
    Because the Chinese invented water and cake and gun powder bro
    Not to mention, tea, opium and concubines...
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

well a trained fighter would know, if the fighters back is to you, and they have no intention but to escape, in the opposite direction of you, it wouldnt be that difficult to steal thier back. If the one who was grabbing the foot reacted to the roll instead of standing there, he couldve capitolized on the situation. Not saying the one doing the flip couldnt have moved, but he did put himself in a dangerous situation. He didnt even look to the opponent until he was getting on his feet.