Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple in My Heart (Shaolin Wo Xin Zhong De) by Abbot Shi Yongxin

Shaolin Temple in My Heart (Shaolin Wo Xin Zhong De) by Abbot Shi Yongxin

I was going to put this in the Shanghai 2010 World Expo & Shaolin Haibao thread, but I changed my mind in hopes that somebody will read it and give a review. I'm looking forward to reading it.
    Shanghai Book Fair showcases Expo, e-publishing and authors galore
    * Source: Global Times
    * [22:36 August 08 2010]
    By Yang Zhenqi in Shanghai

The much-anticipated 2010 Shanghai Book Fair, set to open Wednesday at Shanghai Exhibition Center, will highlight 2010 World Expo in Shanghai with an array of Expo-related books and events, under the banner "I Love Reading, I Love Life - Go With the World Expo."

The annual fair will boast more than 470 publishers and introduce 150,000 books, among which are a considerable number of foreign-language publications, according to Shanghai Press and Publication Bureau.

The event includes 420 cultural events, lectures, seminars, signings and book sales.

Wu Jinglian, a well-known Chinese economist, is scheduled to deliver a speech at the opening ceremony of the fair, followed by Israeli architect Haim Dotan, who designed the "seashell" Israel Pavilion at Expo. Dotan will also launch his new book about architecture.

Wu Zhiqiang, the general planner of 2010 World Expo in Shanghai, will also talk about Expo and present his new book on the subject.

Aside from the fair's Expo special features, staple offerings include a slew of popular writers such as Mo Yan, Wang Anyi, Chen Danyan, An Yiru, Bei La and Guo Jingming, among others.

One new face in the mix is Shi Yongxin, principal abbot of Shaolin Temple. Shi is scheduled to promote his latest book Shaolin Zai Wo Xin Zhong (Shaolin Temple in My Heart) and do a book signing. In his new work, Shi analyzes life at the Shaolin Temple and Buddhism in China, as well as his attempt to spread Shaolin culture around the world.

Chinese novelist Liuliu will launch her new work Xin Shu (Designs) at the book fair. Her new work explores the contentious issue of doctor-patient relationships in her signature poignant and humorous style.

Digital publishing will also feature highly at the fair that will run until August 17, with several exhibitors bringing the latest developments in e-books and e-readers for all to enjoy.

Xing Daiqi contributed to the story
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shaolin Temple in My Heart by Shi Yongxin

Shaolin in his heart
    * Source: Global Times
    * [23:46 October 24 2010]

By Xing Daiqi

Using a cell phone, the Internet and driving an SUV, Abbot Shi Yongxin is one of the youngest and most controversial leaders of the 1,500-year-old Shaolin Temple. Known as the "CEO monk," Shi recently released his new book, Shaolin Temple in My Heart, which for the first time reveals his relationship with the monastery.

"Various rumors and distorted media coverage concerning Shaolin have put the temple at the center of disputes and made Shi a controversial figure. Based on my interviews and conversations with Shi, I hope the book will shed light on the real Shaolin, behind the smoke and mysteries," editor and publisher He Chengwei told the Global Times.

Entering the religion

Born into a Buddhist family in the countryside of Anhui Province, Shi grew up listening to pingshu, a traditional Chinese way of storytelling that often features the lives of monks and their marvelous kung fu. In 1981, at the age of 16, he packed some clothes and left for Shaolin Temple, which is not far from his hometown.

"Many people thought I became a monk because I could feed myself in the temple. However life in Shaolin was far more difficult than when I was at home. Nevertheless, I could still feel the spirit of Shaolin," Shi explains in the book.

After the 10-year Cultural Revolution (1966-76), Shaolin was not quite what Shi had imagined, with only 20 monks and a dilapidated temple. With diligence and hard work, Shi became a disciple of then abbot Xingzheng and soon was heir to the abbotship.

"It was not until many years later that I realized how risky it was for my master to take me as a disciple. At that time after the Cultural Revolution, China's religious policy was not restored yet. The monks were hardly able to wear their robes in everyday life, not to mention take disciples. This is the very reason why I devoted myself to Buddhism and to passing down the teachings of my master," Shi recalls.

He explains that during his religious practice, he came to understand the purpose of his monastic life - to solve the puzzle of life, where people come from and where they will go. More importantly, as the principal abbot, he had to take care of the life and death issue of Shaolin Temple itself.

"Shaolin was in a very difficult situation then, with no land and forest, except 1.7 hectares of farm land outside the wall, which could in no way support the monks in the compound," Shi explains.

"For all these years, I have been seeking a development model on how to promote Buddhism and restore Shaolin's past glory in a modern-day China. It would be a sin committed to the human race if we let the 1,500-year-old monastery deteriorate in our generation."

Shaolin goes global

The 1982 blockbuster The Shaolin Temple that featured action star Jet Li was such a huge hit that millions of visitors from Asia and the world began to flock to where it was shot.

"While people get to know Shaolin through its martial art, they also misunderstand it. Some Buddhist professionals even derided Shaolin for only doing kung fu and neglecting the religious practice - it is a misconception," Shi states.

The abbot explains that as a way to maintain a monk's health, after long periods of meditation, Shaolin kung fu pursues the harmony of body and mind, as well as the perfection of personality.

Nowadays, as an integral part of Shaolin culture, kung fu has been used as a means to reach out to the secular world, apart from the pure religious connection.

"If you talk about Zen Buddhism to people of different cultural and racial backgrounds, few people would understand, but through cultural activities like the performance of martial arts, things can be done more easily."

Shaolin restored

In 1987 Shi became abbot and began to repair Shaolin's shabby temple. He instigated the publishing of its ancient martial arts records as well as establish-ing franchised offshoots of Shaolin kung fu overseas. He also applied for UNESCO heritage listing, which was awarded in August this year.

Because of Shi's business-like management of temple affairs, he often receives harsh criticism, with many claiming that the temple has been degraded to a company.

"I advocate Buddhism being part of secular life," Shi writes. "The mixing of Shaolin with society is to let more people understand and participate in religion and to better serve people. This is our historical mission."

"I hope that one day, the followers of Shaolin who can bear the wisdom of our ancestral masters will be as dense as the forest on the Shaoshi Mountain. That will be the Shaolin Temple in my heart."

Book Tag Shaolin Temple in My Heart by Shi Yongxin, 212 pp, Shanghai Story China Media Company, $7.50
    It was actually 1999 when Yongxin became Abbot. Read my Shaolin Special 2003 cover story: The World Heritage of Shaolin: Interview with Venerable Shi Yongxin, Abbot of Shaolin Temple.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Can someone help me find a link so I can get this book?

I don't think it's available yet in English

My understanding is that the American debut will be at the 1st Shaolin Summit. I'm planning to attend that and will let you know more immediately after.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I am told this is the same book.

The English version has been re-edited and re-titled My Shaolin Journey.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I would really like to read this book.

He has received so much criticism, and yet from how many people who've heard the feelings in his heart and mind?

I think it will be one of the single-most valuble items in our modern era that'll allow us to see how and why The Abbot has chosen to embrace the modern world and all it's impasses/roads (internet, cellular phones, money-making, etc.) while simultaneously attempting to further Shaolin Culture.

The story of his succession to the position of Abbot is not only very Interesting and Special, but very Curious, too.

I also read the story about his disciple in L.A. and believe his heart is in the right place. But I haven't read the book, so i'd like to compliment that idea I have (of his actions) with his own words/feelings- see how well they meet up or betray each other.

I believe other people should also have an open mind too. Not all things are simply black and white. Perhaps the acceptance of gifts and running the monastery like a business are best for Shaolin? perhaps it is because of these things that certain events can be orchestrated and further books/videos published?

I have the Chinese edition now

I was gifted a copy at the 1st Shaolin Summit. It's very intriguing. The Abbot reveals a lot about his struggles to promote Shaolin under PRC rule and his work to restore traditional kung fu and Chan to the order. He even states that it should be 'Shaolin gong fu' not 'Shaolin wushu'. There's some great old photos of the Abbot when he was young - stuff I've never seen before, including him doing kung fu. I have seen him in kung fu poses before, but only a few.

The abbot told us that the English translation is not ready yet. The first half was translated well, but the second half had some difficulties, so they are reworking it.

I was delighted to see my current Shaolin master, Yan Fei, in one of the bigger group shots. As I've mentioned many times before, Yan Fei has disrobed and teaches quietly at O-Mei. I can hardly wait to see him tonight for practice and tell him of the book.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Page 48

The photo on page 48 is very interesting, not just because you can see my master, Yan Fei (formerly Shi Yanfei), but you can also see Shi Yanran (Shaolin Temple Culture Center - Fremont, Herndon & S.F. ), Shi Yanxu (Shaolin Temple Culture Center - Los Angeles) and Shi Yanxing (US Kung Fu Temple - note: I also trained under Yanxing for a very short period - he helped me restore my dahong).

Yan Fei tells me that Shi Yantuo (Shaolin Shaolin Martial Arts - who I also trained with and is featured in our Tamo Cane DVD) can be seen on page 46, but the photo is very small and I didn't recognize him at all.

I'm correcting this thread title as the initial Global Times title is incorrect.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This one Gene?

Shi Yan Yue (Tong Zi Gong, Jian) and Shi Yan Qing (Da Hong Quan, Mei Hua Dao) are top left and right respectively. Parentheses list forms performed at Luminarius banquet.

Also Wang Bo (front) and Yan Neng (not the famous one obviously).
    Last edited by wenshu; 06-24-2011 at 11:36 AM.

That's the one, wenshu! Thanks!

Here's a direct link to our Luminarias banquet video.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Shaolin Temple in my Heart

The English translation of Shi Yongxin's "我心中的少林", "Shaolin Temple in my Heart" seems to be complete, finally accepted by the abbott and printed as a book.
    Does anyone know, when it will be possible to buy it in the book-market ? Does anybody already have it?
    I'm specially interested in the chapter about Shi Xingzhen, since i translated a part of it to German and published it in 2010 on "shaolin-reflection"-blog. To be honest, i don't think it was a good translation. But if anyone could sent me that chapter in English, i'd be happy, because i'm really curious, if i made any major mistakes (probably).

The English translation is decent

The Abbot was giving the newly translated edition as gifts at the 1st American Shaolin Temple Cultural Festival. He was gracious enough to autograph a copy for me.

The translation is pretty clean overall. I only noticed a few minor typos and grammatical errors, but given that Kung Fu Tai Chi has it's share of those, I can't fault that . The new edition has some different photos and is clothbound.

It's an interesting read. Honestly, I'm a little too close to the subject to give an unbiased opinion, but every Shaolin aficionado will want to engage this book. It surely has its nationalistic/patriotic propagandist side, and is somewhat defensive in addressing some of the more well-publicized criticisms like the Abbot's role in the forced relocation, Shaolin sausage, and other issues. However, there's a lot of interesting stuff that isn't as well known in the west, like Shaolin's massive charitable efforts and the continuing journey of its restoration. There were plenty of things I didn't know about, and as you know, I've followed the Shaolin saga pretty closely. When all is said and done, the Abbot has the most interesting Shaolin Trip of all.

At this point, the English translation of Shaolin in my Heart is not available for sale outside China. The Abbot is only giving it away as one of his many unique cultural exchange gifts. I am working on changing his mind about that. I'll let you know how it goes. Wish me luck!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I picked up a copy of this when I was at the Shaolin Temple. I don't think it was the new edition...
    A little expensive for a book in China, but it makes a great souvenir. And if that's the only place it's for sale then it was totally worth it.
    It was an interesting read, but the best part to me was the pictures. Some great (and funny) ones in there.

I figured it was on sale there

This was the first time the new translation appeared on American shores, but it might have been out for a while already.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Would anyone be so kind to send me a copy of the chapter about Shi Xingzheng?