Thread: The Golden Cane Warrior

The Golden Cane Warrior

Looks like an Indonesian take on a Kung Fu flick. WellGoUSA has distribution rights.

The Golden Cane Warrior

Synopsis

The Golden Cane: a relic of incomparable force, coveted by all. And with it, the training of a technique so unrivaled, it vanquishes all who dare oppose its power.

As Master Cempaka and her four disciples - orphans of her enemies, now heirs to the Cane - prepare for the new warrior guardian to ascend, an act of villainous betrayal threatens to destroy the clan and destabilize the realm.

Their only hope to restore order lies in finding the elusive White Dragon, the only remaining pupil still equipped to unlock the mysteries of the Golden Cane.

Director:
    Ifa Isfansyah

Producer:
    Mira Lesmana

Cast:
    Tara Basro , Christine Hakim , Nicholas Saputra, Reza Rahadian , Eva Celia Latjuba

Genre:
    Action & Adventure, Foreign

Sub Genre:
    Martial Arts

Run Time:
    111 min.

Release Date:
    Nov 3, 2015

Original Language:
    Indonesian

Subtitle:
    English
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

This was a pretty decent movie, nicely acted and beautifully shot. The story is decent, if not so original. Although I expected the MA fighting to be more Indonesian style; for the most part, it appears to be wushu style fighting. The MA choreographer is Xiong Xin-Xin. Also, there is some slow-mo wire work, 'crouching tiger' style, though not so extensively used, and people routinely sent flying 20 to 30 feet from strikes/kicks. I would say that the fights are not bad, but nothing outstanding either, if you're familiar with the MA genre. I would rate The Golden Cane Warrior as a decent to good Indonesian film, certainly well above anything coming out of Thailand in recent years, but MA-wise, nowhere near as exciting as The Raid franchise. But to be fair, Golden Cane Warrior is a very different film.

'Kung Fu'-style movies are nothing new in Indonesia. They've had them at least as early as the 1970s. Back then, and into the 90s, Indonesia's (and Malaysia's) biggest action star was Willy Dozan, better known in the West for his stint in Hong Kong/Taiwan KF movies as Billy Chong (a.k.a., Chuang Chuan-Li).

I concur, Jimbo

TGCW is unique in that it's Indonesian martial arts film not by Iko Uwais & co. It's a tribal period piece with beautiful locations and lush cinematic style. The costumes and villages has a great authentic feel. Also extra points for so many strong female protagonists. And there was a story, with back stories, not incredibly deep or complex but richer than most ma flicks. The fights were okay - too much wushu wire work (as Jimbo said, the action director was Chinese), not enough Silat. Lots of staff fights. I liked the lead actress and the lead female villain.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart