Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having flat or vary tuition fee rate

Having flat or vary tuition fee rate

I have been contemplating the topic lately. And then I have read a related thread about long term and short term training course in the Kung Fu Forum here. My question is whether it is alright to have one tuition fee rate in MA school? Or vary rate is still alright? I guess it has a lot to depend on the goals of the school, and the principles behind them.

So, what is your view?

KC
    Hong Kong

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    most proffessional schools have "upsells," meaning upgraded programs. They start a beginner off at a basic program, basic price, then after a year, upgrade them to a more intense program with a higher price. Some schools have more than one upgrade.
    They might have a basic, advanced, and leadership, or outer door, inner door, or a Black Sash Club , or whatever.
    I really don't have an issue with upgrades, so long as you are giving the student more value for their dollar. To upsell someone and give them empty promises is just squeezing them IMHO.

If what you mean by flat or varied is a sliding scale-once a week-$, twice a week $$, three or more $$$, etc. Most schools do that. I don't. I "sell" them a membership, as if you were joining a gym, one flat fee, and you can go unlimited times.
    This is good for the few people that will actually take advantage of it and come in every day. Very few actually do this. Most come in 1-2 times a week, so I am not filling up my school, yet I am offerring them a better deal than most schools.
    Then again, I am not a huge school, or a multiple school operation.
    Last edited by TenTigers; 08-09-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

TenTigers,

Thanks for your reply. By one flat fee, I mean one price for all memberships. The class schedule is also the same for all students. Sure, they might not attend all class sessions per week all the times. By vary fee rate, I mean say $$ for student A, and $$$$ for student B. Because student A attends regular class, while student B attends private class in which he is the only student in the training session.

By the way, I support your fee system. At the same time, I have reservation on the upgrades. It occurs in school teaching subjects other than MA. But charging student more for teaching him advanced techniques can have a terrible agenda. Say if it means the student needs to pay more if he wants to receive good training with no hold back. Otherwise, he will just receive superficial stuffs which is comparable to video training material available off the shelf.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 08-10-2010 at 09:01 PM.

I charge $50 for 24 hours of class time a month (2 hour classes 3 times a week). Everyone pays the same. Whether they use it all or not is their decision. I have to be there and ready to run a class every time regardless.

No extra fees. No testing costs. I make a little money from my pro shop, but still sell cheaper than if they bought the stuff retail.

For people that just want to come in once in a while, I have a $10 mat fee.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    I charge $50 for 24 hours of class time a month (2 hour classes 3 times a week). Everyone pays the same. Whether they use it all or not is their decision. I have to be there and ready to run a class every time regardless.

No extra fees. No testing costs. I make a little money from my pro shop, but still sell cheaper than if they bought the stuff retail.

For people that just want to come in once in a while, I have a $10 mat fee.
    same with here !!!!

The club I go to uses a flat fee punch card. $50 gets you 8 punches. How you use them is up to you. Each class requires a punch. Here's the class schedule: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...37784609570459

Seems to work out well for the students and instructors.

I think it depends on what your financial obligation is to the school you teach at. I used to hate contracts but I do understand why instructors use them, because when you start paying rent, utilites, insurance, ect. it gets pricey and one has to have a return on their investment.

Most of the schools I have been a part of or taught at were small club type schools with low rent and overhead so we didn't do contracts or varying fees but again I understand why they are there. So long as the the training is good and people are paying for it do what you have to do.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    The club I go to uses a flat fee punch card. $50 gets you 8 punches. How you use them is up to you. Each class requires a punch. Here's the class schedule: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...37784609570459

Seems to work out well for the students and instructors.
    That's novel idea. Do you need so many punches to advance in rank, like say 32?

SteveLau
    By one flat fee, I mean one price for all memberships. The class schedule is also the same for all students. Sure, they might not attend all class sessions per week all the times. By vary fee rate, I mean say $$ for student A, and $$$$ for student B. Because student A attends regular class, while student B attends private class in which he is the only student in the training session.
    Everyone I know charges more for private lessons. Example A and B don't seem to be in conflict. Because student A doesn't get private lessons while student B does. Student B get's "more" so it is fair to charge them more.

A school here has a "sliding" rate for how many days a week you want to go 2,3,4. Not much extra for an upgrade either, maybe $15. Private instruction is about time and a half as much as what it would work out to for one class a week.

Another school has a flat monthly rate that cost twice as much but offers more than twice as much class time/content. I ?think? the private rate is about half the monthly tuition.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 08-11-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan View Post
    That's novel idea. Do you need so many punches to advance in rank, like say 32?
    It's not like that. You gain rank based on skills tests and outcomes at tourneys just like any other BJJ club.

The punch card system is actually quite effective. It allows the student to decide how much they want to participate. If they go everyday - it'll cost more. If they go once a week - they can stretch it out to two months. The average student trains twice a week. I like it because I participate in numerous clubs. My Judo club uses a similar punch card system, but it's only $35 for 8 punches. So, currently I do BJJ twice a week and Judo once a week, and it doesn't break the bank.

NAPMA advocates a similar structure. Maximize floor space by using a punch card system. Have strictly defined class times. Be prompt in starting and getting students off the mat at designated times. Require punch-ins at the start of each new class. So, if a person wants to do Gi and no Gi in the same night, it's two punches. You can do this in Chinese MA. Designate times for children, adults, beginners, and advanced. Ad a tai chi or chi kung class. Ad a cardio fitness class. Ad a forms, sparring, self-defense, and a weapons class. Next thing you know, you have several billable hours of class time a week. Use a punch system, and allow students to pick what they want to do.

If you want to make money teaching martial arts...

...it's all about private lessons.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...it's all about private lessons.
    Ok Gene, what's the go?

What are the rates for private instruction?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Fair question - I have no idea

I know of someone who charges upwards to $300 an hour. Personally, I think that's outrageous, but he gets it. I could ask around a little if you're really curious. In my position, I don't like to pry about rates too much, simply out of professional courtesy.

I suppose this warrants a new thread - how much for private lessons?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I know of someone who charges upwards to $300 an hour. Personally, I think that's outrageous, but he gets it. I could ask around a little if you're really curious. In my position, I don't like to pry about rates too much, simply out of professional courtesy.

I suppose this warrants a new thread - how much for private lessons?
    Thanks, if $300 is the upper, and $50 the lower, it kind of fits.

How much is a session with a personal trainier in the lovely San Franciscan surrounds?
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

Thanks for your input, gentlemen. So far, this thread is very constructive. Yes, by private lesson, the student is then having a personal trainer. My current stand on the topic is as follows:

- There is more than one fee scheme that is good. e.g. flat fee rate.

- Having one flat fee rate and other rates for advanced class, special class, etc. at the same time are also acceptable.

The bottom line is that the fee rate should reflect the training program content , and not the training quality, as stated openly to the students.

Oh, since there is much interest in the topic, I would like to put one more question
    here. What about if the school charges student on one end of the varying scale - zero. That means free training is given. My guess is that there might be problem if some students get free training while others do pay their monthly due.

KC
    Hong Kong
    Last edited by SteveLau; 08-11-2010 at 10:44 PM.

Group Instruction Beats Private Instruction.

Private Instruction is trading Dollars for Hours.

Group Training is always more profitable.

Of course, if you find the anomoly that tells you he charges $200+ per hour,
    well that's a whole 'nother story.

I have spoken.